Seriously thinking about the trailer...

IG.

Registered
I usually ride to track days, but thinking about trailing the 'busa so my wife can come along, and if the weather is bad I don't have to struggle during the trip to/from the track. Looking for the lightest and simplest set up. I did read many threads, and researched a bit online about different classes, etc.

I have 2002 Dodge Intrepid. So, my first order of business is to install the hitch receiver, ball mount, and the ball. Then, I will be hunting for a used light trailer. I can't decide whether to go with class 1 or class 2. My main concern is the tongue weight. Class 1 allows 200 lbs, class 2 allows 350 lbs.

So, let's say the trailer itself weighs around 300 lbs and the bike is 550 lbs, what the tongue weight would be - within 200 lbs or more?

Another question I couldn't find an answer, how to adjust the tongue height? Let's say I get a trailer, connect it, and it turns out it's not tilted and not leveled. How do I fix that?

Last edited:
The tougue weight is going to be a lower % of the overall trailer weight plus cargo. It will depend also on the positioning of your axle underneath and where you place your cargo in/on the trailer.

The best place to eliminate toungue weight usually is to position your cargo/busa directly over the axle. Don't go too far back or you'll have too little toungue weight and it will affect handling.

My trailer weights about 10,000 lbs with 1300 lbs toungue weight. Go with the bigger hitch IMO. You never know when you'll want to tow something a bit larger or upgrade~!~

I had a brain fart for a minute, couldn't think of what the intrepid is and was thinking small pickup for some reason, guess talking about towing...

I like over kill, but that's just me...you're car may only be able to handle the smaller load, but if you get the larger unit it might be safer and you won't have to worry about the time you move and want to load all your heavy furniture to the front of your trailer and it has 400 lbs toungue weight...

Just my way of thinking about it, but might depend on the price different to see if it's worth while or not.

Honestly, I'd say you'll be perfectly fine with the smaller hitch...but like I said, I still like to have more rather than not enough.

Something else you might not have thought about is suspension. It'll depend greatly on how your load is distributed. Over the axle and not much toungue weight and you're probably just fine. Move the chock to the front and you're probably going to sink a bit on the rear of your vehicle. The bike doesn't weight that much, but on an intrepid you might notice a difference...

Last edited:
Back