Seriously considering an 08 Busa

pulk

Registered
I ride an FZ6 now (second bike of similar sizing) and I've decided to step up to something bigger. I do a fair amount of highway miles and like the idea of something heavier with more available power. Anyways, I've always loved the way a Busa looks and personally when I saw the tail on the 08 it made me want one even more.

There is a guy about 30 miles from me that has a used 08 (the only one I have seen so far). It has 2000 miles on it and he is asking $10,250 for it. Assuming he's an adult rider and the bike was broken in properly is that about what you would expect the bike to go for? I noticed that the price to beat thread (for a new bike) listed 10,399 or thereabouts for the East Coast but then shipping is gonna add another few hundred bucks at least. At the same time there is something that makes me nervous about someone getting rid of their 08 Busa having only put 2k miles on it. Then again, there are plenty of legitimate reasons why someone might have to do it.

Seems like a friendly community here around the forums, thanks for any opinions.

I ride an FZ6 now (second bike of similar sizing) and I've decided to step up to something bigger.  I do a fair amount of highway miles and like the idea of something heavier with more available power.  Anyways, I've always loved the way a Busa looks and personally when I saw the tail on the 08 it made me want one even more.

There is a guy about 30 miles from me that has a used 08 (the only one I have seen so far).  It has 2000 miles on it and he is asking $10,250 for it.  Assuming he's an adult rider and the bike was broken in properly is that about what you would expect the bike to go for?  I noticed that the price to beat thread (for a new bike) listed 10,399 or thereabouts for the East Coast but then shipping is gonna add another few hundred bucks at least.  At the same time there is something that makes me nervous about someone getting rid of their 08 Busa having only put 2k miles on it.  Then again, there are plenty of legitimate reasons why someone might have to do it.

Seems like a friendly community here around the forums, thanks for any opinions.
Welcome to the site.
welcome.gif

I'd pay a couple hundred more for a bike w/ zero miles if it were me. Seems like he is asking a bit too much for it

I'm from the UK.... but why pay for a second hand bike when you can have a spanker for pretty much the same $$$$?

Who knows whats happened to the engine in 2k miles....

Now if it was $2000 under list price.. maybe worth considering ;)

Jza

Welcome to the board. If you can get a new one for the price you listed then go for that. I think they are around 12k around here so thats a good deal.

I think that price is too high for a USED bike. When you can get a NEW one for a few hundred more! Buy new you'll never reget it!
thumb_up.gif

I'd pay a couple hundred more for a bike w/ zero miles if it were me.  Seems like he is asking a bit too much for it
+1; buy a new one locally for whatever change more (can't tell your location), build your relationship with the dealership/mechanics. You'll be glad you did.

Welcome to the site, and keep us posted on how things go...

Scar

Thanks for the advice. If 'out the door' meant delivered to my front door, taxes included then it would be a no-brainer. But shipping from WV to GA will run maybe $500? Still, I agree for around $800ish bucks to have the peace of mind that every mile and related maintenance was under my ownership might not be a bad idea. Tough decision though, who knows maybe I could get it for 10 even from the private seller. The owner seems to be a responsible adult with experience.

I would definitely prefer to buy local if possible but the dealers in the area are not going to match $10,400 I can just about guarantee. But I have sent a couple of local dealerships requests for a quote though I don't expect to hear back from anyone until after New Years. I'm guessing $11,000 not including tax will be the best I can get in the very near vicinity but I could be wrong (never bought a brand new bike before). I think Freewheeling Honda of Douglasville is the closest Suzuki dealer. Oh well, I still have a month or so to make up my mind.

Nope Seventhlore, I haven't been posting at any ZX 14 sites but I have read countless threads arguing which bike is the fastest! I personally do not really plan on riding agressively enough for it to even matter. I just like the way the Busa looks and I have a good friend who rode one for several years and he swears it's the smoothest bike handling and power-wise that you can ever get in to.

Thanks for the advice.  If 'out the door' meant delivered to my front door, taxes included then it would be a no-brainer.  But shipping from WV to GA will run maybe $500?  Still, I agree for around $800ish bucks to have the peace of mind that every mile and related maintenance was under my ownership might not be a bad idea.  Tough decision though, who knows maybe I could get it for 10 even from the private seller.  The owner seems to be a responsible adult with experience.  

I would definitely prefer to buy local if possible but the dealers in the area are not going to match $10,400 I can just about guarantee.  But I have sent a couple of local dealerships requests for a quote though I don't expect to hear back from anyone until after New Years.  I'm guessing $11,000 not including tax will be the best I can get in the very near vicinity but I could be wrong (never bought a brand new bike before).  I think Freewheeling Honda of Douglasville is the closest Suzuki dealer.  Oh well, I still have a month or so to make up my mind.

Nope Seventhlore, I haven't been posting at any ZX 14 sites but I have read countless threads arguing which bike is the fastest!  I personally do not really plan on riding agressively enough for it to even matter.  I just like the way the Busa looks and I have a good friend who rode one for several years and he swears it's the smoothest bike handling and power-wise that you can ever get in to.
That would be the gospel!
ThumbsUp.gif

Man, just talked to Suzuki of Bartow County, which is where the private seller of that Busa got his. They said... "out the door for $12,100".

And Romney Cycles current price is $10435. Add another $730 for taxes once I get it in GA and then an estimated $500 delivery fee I'm looking at around $11,666. Pretty much that's going to be about the lowest I can get it. So, for an extra $500 I could get it locally or I could go through the private seller and get it for around $1400 less. Sorry to keep rambling on but this is kinda helping me get things clear in my head, weighing in everyone's opinion
smile.gif

Would you rather have a fresh T-Bone for $20 or a T-Bone w/ 3 bites taken out of it for $15?

Out the door means different things from state to state. Bike + Taxes + Dealer Prep + State Taxes + Tag ??

In Oklahoma there are no state taxes paid to the dealer. After you purchase the bike you pay 3.25% and buy an $85 tag.

If you buy a new bkie for $10000 it cost you $325 +$85 for a 1 year tag.

If you buy a used bike for $10000 from an individual you pay $20 for the 1500 then 3.25% after that. $280.   You get the remainder of his tag if it is not expired.  So there is really only a $45 or so savings.

So what I'm saying/asking is don't you have to pay some taxes/fees when you transfer the used bike to your name?

Yes, there are registration and tag fees but those are negligible in comparison. The big difference here is sales tax, delivery and base price of the bike. Also, we are talking a total of $1400 here, not $5. To me, $1400 is not pocket change.

If you shop around it should be around $800-900 difference. $10,400 for the bike and $600-700 for tax, title, etc. If something is wrong with the USED bike, $1,400 will seem like chump change if you are out of pocket fixing something.

Have you called and got an insurance quote?

Back