Serious topic, for me anyway...

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
Have you ever HAD to cut a loved one from your life?  For whatever reason, have you had to just call it a day and walk away?

I did just that yesterday...
sad.gif

My one and only sibling...after 32 years of her in my life, I told her I want her out and encouraged her to get some help.  She's abusive and disrespectful to her family and it's no longer acceptable to me...

It was hard...never thought I'd have to do something like that to someone in my own family...it doesn't feel good, but I had little choice...
sad.gif

sad.gif

My uncle was an abusive man. He used to beat my aunt and his children. One day my mother called the law on him, she had had enough. Want to know what that straw that broke the camels back was.....he tried to run all of them over with his truck....he crashed through the fence and was chasing them down.

He was nuts....but just as he did....my mother soon turned nuts. God I hope it doesn't happen to me.

I fell your pain, sounds as though it was a tough decision that unfortunatlly had to be made. I went throught the same drama a couple of years ago, but on the bright side things turned out for the better.
So keep your head up
smile.gif

Physical abuse is one thing I would never tolerate...I truly feel for those that live with it, especially children...
sad.gif

My sister's abuse is all mental and emotional...she was such a pill as a kid, but she FINALLY started to grow up a few years back. I even felt like I finally had a sister to relate to, but since having her baby, something's very wrong with her I fear...we can't even get through to her to tell her just that...all she does is yell...

I am hoping for the best, but it's going to take an act of God to make her see the light. It's so hard standing by knowing something's very wrong, yet you can do nothing about it...
sad.gif

Today stinks...
mad.gif

sad.gif

Michelle...Post Partum?? How old is the baby?

I went through this with my dad. And my sister who is only 7 years older than me, adopted me when I was 16.
He didnt know how to raise a teenager, he was never around. And it got pretty rough there for a little bit. After I left we didnt talk for 8 months. Now we're better than ever.

The baby is a year old...I know, I keep thinking that's too long to be suffering from this, but her husband agrees, something's just "gone wrong" since the baby. She's a very angry and confrontational person...

I'm glad things got better for you Carrie...sounds like a rocky childhood...
sad.gif

It never feels good and I am sorry you had to experience the pain of cutting off a family member.
sad.gif

I have gone through the same thing with my brother (my whole family has). My brother who once had such a promising life ahead of him had instead chosen a life of drug abuse (herion,pill,cocaine) and robbery to support his habit. We have all given him a multitude of chances to get better. Whether it was paying for rehabs, fines, courtcases... overlooking the thefts that would occur daily in all our houses. It went on for four years. He would do anything and everything to make us think he was trying... when all he was doing was pulling the wool over our collective eyes... so he could lie,cheat and steal somemore. We finally came to a general consenus to cut him out of our lives until he got clean. It was one of the hardest decisions I ever had to make. Yet it was the right decision for all of us... Even him. He still is a junkie and a thief but I am no longer giving him my tacit approval and support to continue on his path. I still love him with all my heart but I realized that you sometimes need to let people find their own path... I also realized that my happiness my wifes happiness and everyone else in my family shouldn't be controlled by one person with a problem. Its alright to hurt but not to think that anything you have ever done is the reason for a family members problem. You can only try so hard to make a person change. I'm sure there are plenty of us out there that have experienced a similar hurt (as far as cutting someone off) but you made the absolute right decision. You have to protect yourself and family and that is the bottom line.

Just me 02 cents... Hope this made sense..If you ever need to talk... please feel free to pm me.

Maybe y'all need to Baker act her, or do an intervention.. that scares me that she is like that and is responsible for a small child. She needs professional help.

Sounds like a tough situation all the way around.
sad.gif

Wow...thats pretty dag-on deep. Quick story: I'm in the Marine Corps. My SgtMaj preeches to never give up on a "problem Marine." A "problem Marine" is one who refuses to conform to military life. The SgtMaj and I got into a very heated debate on "when to say when." I am responsible for roughly 45-50 Marines at any given time. In my line on work, if my time in consumed by one dumb ass kid who isn't man or woman enough to step up to the plate, then a lot of critical aspects in my area or responsibility get overlooked. I beleive there is a difference between "saying when" and completely giving up. I would NEVER give up on a loved one or a Marine........but I will "say when" and move on without them in a heartbeat.

Yes
sad.gif

My oldest son. Actually, he cut ME out of HIS life..... I guess. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do and it can be very painful.

VA,

I hope things work out. I know what it's like.

That is a tough one Michelle! I'm sorry you have to go through that. I agree that sometimes the tough love approach is the best. Maybe she will realize once her family has said "enough" that she is loosing the most important things in her life. Sounds like she has got some pretty deep seated anger and a good counselor could help her see where it is coming from. Like all parents, our lives change dramatically when our kids are born. She obviously isn't dealing with it and has some resentment about being responsible for a child.

I am the queen of tough love and had to send my oldest son packing when he became abusive and disrespectful to me. He turned this household upside down and had it in kaos everyday of our lives. He has now turned his life around and actually thanks me for making him realize what he was doing. Long story that I won't get into but I can say it was the hardest thing I ever had to do. I hope she wakes up!!!

Hang in there! I feel for you!

Difficult situation, Michelle. It seems there are negative consequences whichever route you choose. You must follow your instincts in a situation like this. You know what decision is best, and you know what has to be done. it will hurt you and your family to cut her out, but it is what must be. If you keep accepting her and her behavior, she will assume that it is acceptable. If the way she is acting is not acceptable and you have told her this, the only option left is to get away from her. If you don't, you run the risk of your boys thinking that this is a normal way of being. Hopefully your sister will come to the conclusion that something is wrong with her and seek the help she needs, but as long as she has you guys to fall back on she will never realize that the problem is her. You should be sure and tell her that you don't hate HER, but you cannot condone the behaviour she is exhibiting.

You did the right thing. People have mad esome very valid points.
I was in a sort of similiar situation years back. Except I was the one ousted. It made me wake up and smell the coffee. As well as my family had to stop and look at things from my perspective as well. It all worked out.
My brother and I are closer and stronger today then we ever were in life. My prayers are with you Michelle.

Ted

unfortunitily ..if you have a large family ..or kids .. to most of us that situation will happen.. (Mr.Brown ) .. convey's this best ..

Michele, (remember this is just me) family is family. Whether we like it or not our siblings, parents, nieces, nephew, uncles, etc are what we have. In my family we had a Grandmother that was hateful at times, starting s**t in with the family by saying one thing to one and another to the other. This went on for some time until my Father decided it was enough and called his Brother (my Godfather) to straighten it out. Took almost 8 years for this to happen. When they talked they realized what had happened. Many years later my Grandfather passed away and my Grandmother moved in with my Parents, this was not a good thing and the hate and lack of respect was horrendous... but one night we are sitting at the dinner table and my Grandmother starts crying and confesses to something that happened in her life between her and her Mother... she was still angry about it 80 years later. My Uncle (Godfather) got cancer and passed away with the family not liking him because he left his first Wife and three girls without saying anything to anyone and then shows up in our lives as if nothing happened. Many regrets here.
I guess what I am getting at is your Sister is family and oboviously suffering from something. Maybe its the fact that she has had a Baby, I mean I can almost relate to anger over having kids... took me almost 6 years to start liking my kids in my life, now I can't live without them, but it was the Wife that grabbed me one day and forced me into realizing what I was doing. Maybe your Sister doesn't see what she is doing. She may be lost or caught up in the anger and it is consuming her, I've been there, there is only one way out and that is HELP.
Michele, I can't tell you what to do, but she may be calling for help and just not realizing she needs it.

Here is a truth for you Michelle, you cannot I repeat CANNOT ever change anyone.

You can be an example for them to follow if they so choose, you can lead them if they wish to follow, you can help them if they wished to be helped.

But if they don’t choose to follow, they wont.

If they don’t wished to be helped, you cannot help them.

You either accept someone for the way they are, or walk away. Let them know you care, and if they ever need you, you will be there for them but then walk away.

I have cut ties with friends AND family. I have family members now that if I never saw again, who cares. That would be my extended family. My immediate family would be a little more difficult (wife, boys) fortunately I have a pretty kick a$$ wife and 3 cool boys, so I don’t have to contemplate walking away from them.

But everyone else? My mom, my dad, my sister, my brother.. I have my life, they have theirs.

I can walk away from any situation.

I did not used to be that way, ending relationships never used to be easy, but I guess after you get screwed enough times it gets easier
biggrin.gif

As far as your sister goes. Go talk to a psychologist. I think I have heard “post-partum†can last for a long time, a yea isn’t anything.

Having kids can jack you up. If you are not used to it, and you have lets say a colicky baby that never sleeps, that can push someone over the edge that is close anyway.

Lots of variables involved in something like this, too many for me to try and psychoanalyze. But lots of factors can come into play, age, internal fears of failing as a mother, lack of sleep, frustration and not understanding a baby’s needs, her own possible chemical imbalance.

My first bit of advice is have her go see someone, if she is angry all the time, have her talk to a doctor about getting something to settle her down.

serotonin in our body helps us deal with stress.

Here is a link to Lexapro web site. Lexapro is one of the current medications being used to treat depression, this web site has a FAQ you can read

http://www.lexapro.com/

Basically serotonin levels in the body can be view as type of reservoir, the more stress we experience, the more the reservoir is tapped into. If we are dealing with more stress that requires more serotonin than our body can produce, then eventually our reservoir runs dry. Once we are out of serotonin we are unable to properly deal with stress

SSRI’s (selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) help’s increase the supply of serotonin to the brain

This is just one possible thing to look at. I am providing this as more of an example as to how this could be a medical condition that could be addressed by a doctor.

So I would first have her go seek a regular doctor and have them take it from there.

Otherwise cut the ties and move on.

Sorry you are having these problems. And I don’t mean to sound heartless.. Just I have pretty much been there and done that with family. You just have to do what you have to do for yourself, and your husband and children.

Wow, so this is more prevelant that I realized...sad, really, but at least I'm not alone. I've seen plenty of day time television in my days to know that the truly "hard to handle" people get sent packing, but I honestly never knew it would have to come to this...I've been grappling with how to approach her for 7 months now to be honest...I've tried and tried and tried, but yesterday she clinched it for me by essentially picking a fight with me in a grocery store in front of my children, our Mom and her baby...I stayed very calm as she ranted and raved, then she told me "you know what? F*ck you!" and walked off...I was floored...I've never spoken to my family like that and to say it in front of my children
mad.gif

She caught me again outside of the store while I was loading my groceries...she didn't get in enough hits I guess, so she ranted again and left by saying the same thing to me...later that day, I had to leave work early to "protect" my mother from her, and I told her I hope she gets help because she's losing everyone in her life. I made it clear that she's out of my life from this point on, and I got my Mom to my house where she wouldn't be berated by my sister over and over again like she'd done earlier in the day...she's been so disrespectful and explosive for so long now, I just can't have that in my life anymore...

I'm afraid for her family, her daughter...no doubt about that...but, there's little I can do when she won't even allow me to be civil and talk...

*BIG sigh*

My thoughts are with all of you that know all too well about this type of situation...no matter what side you're on, it's tough...

Oh, and to top it off, my Mom's dog (well, Donnie's dog) just attacked a repairman, so now she's made a call to have him put down...my Mom's had her fill of bad news and problems lately...
sad.gif
Guess I'll be leaving early again today to help her with that; can't see her doing it alone...

MrGxr - in my opinion, she needed some tough love many moons ago when she walked all over her family like the spoiled rotten kid she was...

She started growing up, focusing in life and now something has taken a drastic turn for the very worst. I view her husband and us (family) as abused by her at this point. That may sound very drastic, but she routinely abuses every one of us in one way or another, and we've all always just tried to look past it, few bumps in the road, etc...no, now her behavior has escalated, and even her own husband has seen it/suffered from it...

As much as I wanted to sit with her and have a civil talk, that's not an option because she won't allow it. She clearly needs to seek help, drugs, counseling...something to level her life, someone to help her through whatever this is she's experiencing. She's very destructive and disrespectful, so for me, and for my Mom, enough is enough...I don't like that answer, but it's the only one I have...I refuse to be a victim in my own family any more, and if this is a cry for help, she's not willing to hear an answer from any of us...
sad.gif

Thrasher...just thank you...as much as I'd love to just be able to fix it all, ball's in her court now. I hope and pray that she realizes that she needs help before it's too late, but that's not my problem anymore...

Not an easy task...

Went through something similiar last year with my best friend, who was like a sister to me. She's the mom of the beautiful baby some of you have seen me post, to me she's my niece. We have been through good and bad times together for about 8 years and know each other as 2 drops of water. Last year I unconvered a ton of lies she had been saying for the past years...to all of us who were close to her. Big things that ruled decisions in our lives as part of the love we had for her. Well...I was fuuuuuuuurious and comfronted her. I was very hurt and confused because at that point I didn't know what was true and what wasn't out of 8 years of friendship. Then I made the decision of cutting her out of my life, but I could never cut my baby girl out, she's my sunshine!

After some research I concluded (on my own this is) she has a condition called Compulsive Lying, which can lead to pretty serious consequences if not treated. Yes she had lied, but I can never through away how much of a good friend she had been...I figured the right thing to do was to help her out since on her own she was being "punished" for what she had done. About 2-3 months later then we started talking again. We are not as close as we used to be, but she knows I'm here for her whenever she needs it and I try giving her advise when I see her on the wrong path. She still has a lot to learn and growing up to do, but she's learning the hard way.

With all that said...I do understand what you did. I'm thinking that maybe after the baby was born she might have been left with a hormonal disorder? If that's actually possible, which I wouldn't doubt. Or simply a reaction to being a mom...maybe she's keeping emotions in that are leading her to anger (ex. maybe she didn't want to be a mom yet). I dunno the situation well enough, just my opinion on that.

I would say give it some time for it to sink in her and also for you to think/analyze/figure out/etc what happened. After that then who knows, you might helping her out or able to help her out in the long run.

Keep your head high and like my dad always says:

"Never regret a decision you make, because at the time you made it; it was the best possible one!"

Hmm...sounds better in spanish!
wink.gif

Back