Serious Safety Thread ...

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Lets face it, motorcycles are serious fun and can be seriously dangerous. What we do on our bike is dangerous and frequently illegal. Hell, we ride Hayabusa's not mopeds! There have been many close calls for most of us experienced riders and yet we definately have a passion for riding... and wont give it up, nor should we have to.

The purpose of this thread is to start a safety briefing for all of us. So feel free to post up suggestions and or comments but this is not a comical thread. What we share here may save a life, maybe yours.

The following video is from the California Hwy Patrol.

CHP - Motorcycle Safety - Informational Video

Last edited:
Sad and sobering, be extremely careful out there guys. Expect the unexpected.

when riding an unknown twisty road DO NOT try to keep up with those you are riding with if they are familiar with the road and more skilled than you. keep your own pace and ride your own ride. by following this rule i made it through the dragon unscathed. however i still had a very close call as a turn came up quick.
Posted via Mobile Device

If you buy the bike...buy the gear. Don't over buy a bike you can't handle and please, take a Rider Safety Course.

Stay safe and stay alive!

That was a very powerful video. Maybe this should be Pinned so that it doesn't get "lost" in the threads.

Thank You for putting this up.

I have lost several Moto friends in the last few years. Some I only knew briefly, various ages and abilities.

Let me tell you about my friend "Josh" ... he was an excellent and talented young rider who made a very serious mistake. Last June I was riding around in the early evening and saw him with a bunch of other riders, I invited them over to my shop where I was headed. They declined as they were going to put a new set of tires on a guy's old cbr. After the tire swap Josh took it out to warm up the tires... he only went around the block, he was wearing t-shirt, shorts, and a helmet. As he came back around he clutched up a wheelie, lost control and hit a parked trailer. Josh broke just about everything from the waist up. He has been in and out of the hospital for the last 10 months and still can not walk and may never.

I'm not sure how I feel about this because he was doing what he loved but was it worth it? ???

Dec2007 069b.jpg

21.jpg

Oct2007 misc 135b.jpg

Don't follow too closely.

Lamb and I discovered this a week ago today.

Very sobering video. Good post, Kent. Should be mandatory viewing.

Last edited:
I have a couple of folks I work with that think that a helmet is a bad idea because of lack of hearing and lack of site. I disagreed with them and told them I don't have that problem I hear birds while riding all the time. I turn my head just the same as I would in my truck to look. Then they tried to say that if and when I fell from my bike my helmet could kill me by snapping my neck. Well all I have to say is that at least I am using some form of prevention. The safety course helps a lot while your riding. It doesn't hurt to go over some of the pointers before going out on your ride. I am no expert and I am not a real racing person. No matter how cool it looks to me I won't do it without proper guidance. I am to chicken. Personally I'd like to thank all of you for all of your posts about how to do this, how to withstand that, how to, how to, how to. I truly believe that I ride a little better because of you all. O gloves, by the way, always wear them. Why you ask. well on my way to work one morning I was just riding along and out of no where something struck my hand, hard enough to bring tears to my eyes, without my gloves on I believe that what ever it was would have maybe taken off my finger. Not that it didn't feel like it already had. That finger hurt for 2 days. Thanks for the video it was important during the seasons.

I have a couple of folks I work with that think that a helmet is a bad idea because of lack of hearing and lack of site. I disagreed with them and told them I don't have that problem I hear birds while riding all the time. I turn my head just the same as I would in my truck to look. Then they tried to say that if and when I fell from my bike my helmet could kill me by snapping my neck. Well all I have to say is that at least I am using some form of prevention. The safety course helps a lot while your riding. It doesn't hurt to go over some of the pointers before going out on your ride. I am no expert and I am not a real racing person. No matter how cool it looks to me I won't do it without proper guidance. I am to chicken. Personally I'd like to thank all of you for all of your posts about how to do this, how to withstand that, how to, how to, how to. I truly believe that I ride a little better because of you all. O gloves, by the way, always wear them. Why you ask. well on my way to work one morning I was just riding along and out of no where something struck my hand, hard enough to bring tears to my eyes, without my gloves on I believe that what ever it was would have maybe taken off my finger. Not that it didn't feel like it already had. That finger hurt for 2 days. Thanks for the video it was important during the seasons.

BeeGirl, Thank you for your comments, and glad you stood up for safety ... also very glad to have you here.

But are those people at your work place insane?!? There is NO WAY riding without a helmet is safer, the stats are overwhelming how many riders die vs those who wear a lid. Hawaii has no helmet Law too and when I lived there I have done beach cruises without one but not lately and probly never again.

Tell the " no lid " advocates to take this lil test, next time your strolling down some long stairs, think ... if I fell down these stairs would rather be in a ball cap, t-shirts & shorts ... ? OR full leathers, spine protector, gloves, boots and a helmet? ??? Either way will hurt but one will be much less. Same thing if your driving your car at any speed, open the car door, look down and think what would happen if I stepped out right now? NO QUESTION, MORE GEAR IS BETTER!

Or howz about riding on the hood of a car? ... ???

Let me think ...

helmet or no ...

hyphy%20better.jpg

Last edited:
Kent, mahalo for sharing. Very, very sobering video hope everyone takes time to watch it and reflect on what we do when we go out for a ride. Pay attention to your surroundings, ride in your bubble and protect it from encroaching cars and don't do anything stupid!

WOW!
In all my years I've known several riders go down and never get back up and I've been down before myself but never in traffic. This video is one of the most riveting safety films I've ever watched. Should be MANDATORY on the safety course... I recently went down hitting a critter not sure what it was raccoon or fox, but it goes to show that speed isn't the only thing that will take you down. Careful out there especially the slicks that are often taken for granted.:thumbsup:

Excellent post! Well placed video! Thank you Kento-Moto!

I’d like to refer to ‘being able to hear things’ as one of the things mentioned by beegirl4444 in a prior post; my simple advice, taken or not, if you listen to an iPod, or whatever type of MP3 player, while riding, I personally would turn if off when riding in the city. ‘Hearing’ that which is around me in these circumstances (city traffic, etc.) is a sense that I feel I should not be deprived of in those situations. I turn the music on, if at all, once I’m in a situation that doesn’t require the sense of hearing as much as being in the city; basically I don’t turn my music on until I’m way out of city limits on an open highway cruising. Some of my friends listen to music while in the city on the freeways and streets. I’ve mentioned to them several times that personally I don’t think that it is a very good idea. I’ve had nods of agreement and have seen some change this ritual.

Also, a major, major concern! I stop at four way stops and make sure that opposing traffic that is supposed to stop at the same four way stop has stopped!!! Also, a major, major concern, along the same lines, when I approach a green light and although I have the right away, I usually slow down and prepare (right hand and foot prepared on brakes, just in case) for some jack*** to go through their red light! Vehicles (usually cars with someone chatting on their cell phone, etc.) running stop signs and red lights are a major problem and relinquish no mercy on those of us who ride motorcycles! I hear of these types of accidents all of the time!

Those are my two pieces of advice for having over thirty years of riding experience (although the first ten years were on dirt bikes)!

Be very, very careful out there!

Excellent post! Well placed video! Thank you Kento-Moto!

I’d like to refer to ‘being able to hear things’ as one of the things mentioned by beegirl4444 in a prior post; my simple advice, taken or not, if you listen to an iPod, or whatever type of MP3 player, while riding, I personally would turn if off when riding in the city. ‘Hearing’ that which is around me in these circumstances (city traffic, etc.) is a sense that I feel I should not be deprived of in those situations. I turn the music on, if at all, once I’m in a situation that doesn’t require the sense of hearing as much as being in the city; basically I don’t turn my music on until I’m way out of city limits on an open highway cruising. Some of my friends listen to music while in the city on the freeways and streets. I’ve mentioned to them several times that personally I don’t think that it is a very good idea. I’ve had nods of agreement and have seen some change this ritual.

Also, a major, major concern! I stop at four way stops and make sure that opposing traffic that is supposed to stop at the same four way stop has stopped!!! Also, a major, major concern, along the same lines, when I approach a green light and although I have the right away, I usually slow down and prepare (right hand and foot prepared on brakes, just in case) for some jack*** to go through their red light! Vehicles (usually cars with someone chatting on their cell phone, etc.) running stop signs and red lights are a major problem and relinquish no mercy on those of us who ride motorcycles! I hear of these types of accidents all of the time!

Those are my two pieces of advice for having over thirty years of riding experience (although the first ten years were on dirt bikes)!

Be very, very careful out there!

Never corner faster than you can make corrections, or have traction left to change your line to avoid an obstacle, not matter how well you know the road.

moving video! its the same thing i tell all my friends and ABATE members. be a jedi, know what you doing when your doing it. ride in the moment, and be aware of your surroundings. dont drink more beers than you have wheels. do you best not to ride impaired on anything (yea im talkin to you pot smokers). ride at the speed limit and wear as much protective gear as your ego allows.
good thread. a must read.:thumbsup:

Back