Serious comfort mods!

Trail_Blazer

Registered
Ok so i'm new to the forum and hoping to take advantage of the combined wisdom of all ye Busa connoisseurs.
I've just bought an 08 Busa, and I need to make some mods to make her more comfortable as I'm on and off the bike all day every day travelling between jobs on average 30-40 min rides. I'm about 200lbs and 6'4" so I'm finding the position a little too cramped for the longer or slower city riding, with some pressure through the wrists and low back, and a bit of discomfort in the neck and upper back from keeping the head up looking forward. Nothing to stop me riding this beaut but I'd like it a bit more ergonomically correct for my size! Now I've been reading a lot and it seems the Helibars are a popular choice, and theres also mention of Genamr risers? I've also heard things like Buell rearsets, different seat and lowering the rear. Basically I'm looking at making this as comfortable as possible for the taller gentleman, within a reasonable budget as buying the busa has left the wallet very light! So looking for any advice on how to make it better suited to me from guys of a similar size, and any other input is very welcome!

Thanks guys nd gals.

This looks like a fantastic site. :thumbsup:

I'm only 6' but the Buell pegs and Helibars made a HUGE difference in all day comfort.

Best mod was the Corbin seat though! :beerchug:

1 ) the more you ride the better it will get as your body changes.

2) throw your left hand up on your left knee or throw your left arm across the tank to support your upper body.

3) squezz the tank with the knees and use your abs to support your upper body.

The busa is pretty much very accomodating for most weights. I'm a total of 175 and I flick her around pretty easy. My friend is pushin 250 and he says its comfy to him as well. He changed the seat and rearsets. That's it. Good luck and :welcome: to da org!

I'm 6'6 225 (+/-5lbs) stock seat, stock rearsets, stock bars... had some major knee surgery last year and still feel pretty comfortable on the bike; whether its around town or long rides (6hr+). might take some getting used to as a new bike but I think its comfortable around town and tours great too...

Heli-bars and .75" risers combined work well. That is as high as you can go to clear the inner windshield.
Stock brake and clutch lines also work with them, separate or combined.
Seats are a personal preference, it doesn't matter who likes what. You have to ride on a seat that's broken in and decide if it's for you or not.
Riding for a while to get used to the bike helps, but if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit.
I had an 08 Busa for 3 1/2 years. I tried 5 seats, adjustable rearsets, heli-bars and risers separate and combined, and even changed the top clamp and went with a dirtbike style handlebar.
After a back injury a year and a half or so after getting the Busa, I tried all the above. It got a lot better, but never felt right again. So I traded it for a B-King!:laugh: Best thing I ever did.
Try the Heli-bars and .75" spacer though, it really helps the complaints you're describing.
Buell pegs will give you a little more leg room, but the trade off is less cornering clearance.
At your size I wouldn't recommend a New Image seat, as you are just stuck against the tank in it.
Myself and a lot of others prefer the Corbin seat, as it is wider and has more space to move around.
Unfortunately you'll just have to try the seats for yourself and see.
Good luck with it, and welcome to the org.

Thanks for the replies all, yeah some people have said that i just have to get used to it but others have said that great comfort can be achieved with a few mods, so I think I'm going to give the helibars a shot with some sort of riser to begin with, then maybe the next step will be the seat and footpegs. Now to find somewhere in Europe to get the bars at a reasonable price, $45 shipping to Ireland from the US is a bit much! Are Genmar the best way to go for risers or are there others?

Thanks for the replies all, yeah some people have said that i just have to get used to it but others have said that great comfort can be achieved with a few mods, so I think I'm going to give the helibars a shot with some sort of riser to begin with, then maybe the next step will be the seat and footpegs. Now to find somewhere in Europe to get the bars at a reasonable price, $45 shipping to Ireland from the US is a bit much! Are Genmar the best way to go for risers or are there others?

Where in Ireland?

1 thing I can recommend for the right hand would be a throttle rocker. When ur hand starts to fall asleep or ur feeling cramped u can put ur hand at the bar end but still accelerate with just using ur thumb. There awesome. Had 1 on my 07 and currently have one on my 08. Cheap investment. eBay for like $12.

Where in Ireland?

Livin in Dublin, the big smoke!

Yeah I'm not having too much of a problem with the hand falling asleep or anything, I may consider a throttle rocker if I plan any very long tours but for now just improving my body postiton is what I'll look at. I'm gonna see if anyone over this way has a Corbin seat on a Busa that i can try, and I'm gonna source some Heli-bars too and look at the riser you mentioned. After that we'll see if I need to do anything else like pegs

40 yrs old 6'7@240 on a 09
When i bought my bike it was located 400 miles away. I flew in and rode her back. I didnt have any discomfort (been awhile since I rode so I didnt have any muscle memory built up) just my azz got a little sore around 3oo miles from sitting in one place for a 5 hours.
I raised my bars the max level with spacers, and added a Yanashiki TypeR windscreen. 25K miles in 2 years. I ride to work 40 miles each way, and have taken 400 mile day trips. I dont have any complaints but a sore azz after 300 miles in one position, I am hoping my new altered seat will help with that but it has also lowered my position making my knees more bent so I may go with a 1" drop Buell peg mod.

for me, buell pegs, soupy's bar risers & gel seat. i am 6'2" @250lbs and it's cozy as hell for a sport bike.

Livin in Dublin, the big smoke!

Yeah I'm not having too much of a problem with the hand falling asleep or anything, I may consider a throttle rocker if I plan any very long tours but for now just improving my body postiton is what I'll look at. I'm gonna see if anyone over this way has a Corbin seat on a Busa that i can try, and I'm gonna source some Heli-bars too and look at the riser you mentioned. After that we'll see if I need to do anything else like pegs

Was just curious.
My Ma's from near Lisburn, and all her family is there.

Was just curious.
My Ma's from near Lisburn, and all her family is there.

Ah they're a bit of a distance from me, which is all relative as a bit of a distance over here is a trip to the shops for you guys over there!

Cheers for the replies guys, anybody know a good source for bits like mentioned above, especially the Helibars, in Europe?

6'2 245 corbin seat and buell pegs, as time goes on and you get more time in the saddle you should be fine, I rode mine stock for quite a while and I commute an 1hr and half each way every day with no issues. I would spend more time in the saddle and then get some comfy stuff so by then you will know what you want/need

OK, you comfort gurus. I want to get a 2014 Busa to replace my BKing. I am willing to pay for new cables for raising the handlebars.

1. How high can I go? 6 inches?

2. Who makes a killer windscreen that blocks the maximum amount of air for a really big guy?

3. How much and by what method can I get the seat to footpegs increased to the max amount?

My dream Busa....the handlebars raised at least 6 inches (like a BKing). A killer sized windscreen (XXXL size)that can handle 150mph. Increasing the seat to peg distance by at least 4 inches.

The bikes are PERFECT for a Japanese engineers size, but for bigfoot AKA Sasquatch (me) they are a pain in the ass! My BKing is not all that comfy and I don't want to have to go to a cruiser as they are all underpowered! Come on and give me some awesome ideas!:please:

Cheers for the replies guys, anybody know a good source for bits like mentioned above, especially the Helibars, in Europe?[/QUOTE]

Welcome ! Soupys risers are awesome , deffinetly a Buell peg mod or adjustable rearsets , and a cut seat . You can get anything shipped to you from most of the sponcers on the board here . PASHNIT is a sponcer here and his website is a good source for long ride comfort products and I do believe he ships overseas.

Back