Senior citizen drivers

monster

Wherever I May Roam
Donating Member
Registered
Let me just start by saying that my intent isn't to be disrespectful in any way. Having said that how many times have you been the only car on the road only to have a car speed out in front of you then proceed to go 5 mph? It happens to me a bunch. Well it happened to me this morning on my Busa. I wasn't flying (thank god) and I had time to react. She got the horn and some hand gestures and I could see her squinting in her rear view so at that moment I realized that she didn't cut me off to be a buttwad but that she probably didn't see me. Another example was a few years back an elderly woman parked her car in front of a bingo hall. Somehow she thought she was hitting the brake but pinned the gas and went through the building and killed a couple of people. I don't know the stats but I'd bet that elderly drivers have more accidents then new drivers. Anyway I needed to vent and again I'm not trying to be disrespectful.

I know plenty of younger people that cannot drive either. Everyone should be retested.

Try it down here in Florida, it is just out of hand. Hell these grey hairs run the store fronts on a weekly basis. Then they "oh it is my husbands car and i got confused" i am sorry but how confusing is peddle on right is the gas and peddle on left is the brake. And the kicker is, they never get charged with squat. Hell, earlier this year over in Tampa some old man ran over a dude, and had no clue until he was stopped at the toll booth because the corpse was still on the hood. I am sorry but once you turn 70 should be annual check and a discounted bus pass.

Try it down here in Florida, it is just out of hand. Hell these grey hairs run the store fronts on a weekly basis. Then they "oh it is my husbands car and i got confused" i am sorry but how confusing is peddle on right is the gas and peddle on left is the brake. And the kicker is, they never get charged with squat. Hell, earlier this year over in Tampa some old man ran over a dude, and had no clue until he was stopped at the toll booth because the corpse was still on the hood. I am sorry but once you turn 70 should be annual check and a discounted bus pass.
+100

...but actually, the homeless guy was hit in St. Pete....just a mile or so from my house.
wink.gif

Everybody should be retested on a regular basis. Shoot, you get one driving test when you're a teen and then it's ORT for the rest of your life. All drivers should start with a motorcycle (and with gas prices going up, it won't be long). There should be tiered licenses for bikes. And everyone should get a rigorous driving test every, oh 5 years if the test is hard enough.

But the way MSF testing is going (for example), things are going from hard to too easy. A coworker just took his MSF class this last weekend. I know that when my wife took it a couple of years ago, a bike drop is an automatic failure. The guy who took it over the weekend watched someone drop her bike right onto her ankle but she didn't get failed out. The tests are getting easier not harder.

Carl

Uh Yeah Beyond a certain age, an annual test (FREE) should be administered. Also getting a license, ANY license should be MUCH MUCH more difficult and involve mandatory training and re-testing.

Would really cut down on the BS out there... Don't believe me? Head to Europe and watch how good most of the drivers are...

Uh Yeah Beyond a certain age, an annual test (FREE) should be administered. Also getting a license, ANY license should be MUCH MUCH more difficult and involve mandatory training and re-testing.

Would really cut down on the BS out there... Don't believe me? Head to Europe and watch how good most of the drivers are...
+1

Back