Sena SMH5 Bluetooth

stangman327

Registered
Installation was simple and straight forward. I paired it with my iPhone 4, simple process.

My goal was to test receiving calls, GPS and music.

Once I got the speaker and mic placement correct I went on a test ride. I had my girl call me shortly after I departed. To answer all I had to do was tap the jog button and another tap to disconnect the call. I talked to a total of three people and each person was able to hear me with no issues even with my loud exhaust as I was able to hear them also with no issues.

Using a GPS app (GPS Nav 2) that I have installed on my iPhone I was able to clearly hear the GPS prompts even while I listened to music through the headset.

Listening to music was the least exciting part and the only reason I'm saying that is because I'm use to using a pair of $100 ear buds and a set of flat speakers can't compare to that in no way shape or form. The speakers do the job as promised but I do hear a subtle "hiss" in the background but that could be from my source material also. I didn't have a chance to test apps like Pandora yet.

So far for $109 (Amazon) it seems to be a good deal and does the job for me. I've never had any other headsets to compare them with so I can't offer a comparison.

Sena Bluetooth

Sena SMH5 - webBikeWorld

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

I forgot to state that the SMH5 is a cut-down version of the the SMH10 with a few less features at a reduced price to entice a new market of buyers.

Listening to music was the least exciting part and the only reason I'm saying that is because I'm use to using a pair of $100 ear buds and a set of flat speakers can't compare to that in no way shape or form. The speakers do the job as promised but I do hear a subtle "hiss" in the background but that could be from my source material also. I didn't have a chance to test apps like Pandora yet.

Are you going to try the large speakers or are the smaller ones good enough? I just ordered the SMH5 yesterday.

VFRcanada said:
Are you going to try the large speakers or are the smaller ones good enough? I just ordered the SMH5 yesterday.

I'm going to give these speakers a try for a while before I decide to order the upgrade. I guess in a couple of weeks I'll know if I want them or not. They are only $25 for the upgraded speakers.

I just got a SMH5 as well and used it today for 9 hours total (music and gps) and it still has battery left. Honestly I think the speakers are more then enough, Plenty of volume. I paid 101 for mine off ebay from JC Cycles and am super happy with it.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the review. Let us know what you think in a couple of weeks.

I am trying to figure out what I want as well. Mostly for phone and gps. I don't like to listen to my music on the bike, not even the stereo on the BMW. I do want to be able to pair it with a headset for my wife when we ride together too. I still have to find a mount for my Nexus. I think I want a stem mount.

Went out today and used the g9 powersets. All in all I think they worked great between us . I dont really care for the speakers in the helmet . I asked if they could be changed over to ear buds , waiting reply. I used the bluetooth and called about 3 different people and they had no idea I was on my busa running about 80mph down the highway. All the pairing between the sets were very easy . The calrity of the intercom was excellent , we didnt get a chance to check how far apart we could go. Cardo claims 1.3 miles . One nice feature is you can buy just the holder , mike amd speakers for about 40 dollars and put on each helmet and just disconnect the power unit and snap into other holder on another helmet without having to reinstall holder on each helmet.

I was out for about 7 hours yesterday (no I didn't ride the whole 7 hours) and had the SMH5 on the whole time, made multiple phone calls with it and listened to music and Pandora the whole time I rode. Worked flawlessly the whole time as a matter of fact some people didn't even realize I was even riding!

For basically a $100 this thing is awesome!

I was also thinking about the SMH5 after reading up on Scala, Chatterbox, and Interphone products. It sounds like it is working very well. It looks like it doesn't come with the wired mike. Can I order that separate and just plug it in? I am interested in this for wireless iPod, Zumo 660, and occasional calls (only if on a long trip).

I was also thinking about the SMH5 after reading up on Scala, Chatterbox, and Interphone products. It sounds like it is working very well. It looks like it doesn't come with the wired mike. Can I order that separate and just plug it in? I am interested in this for wireless iPod, Zumo 660, and occasional calls (only if on a long trip).

If i understand you correctly then yes it does come with a wired mike/boom. Check out the contents.
Sena Bluetooth

no one communicates via frs radio? Sema has a "dock" for connecting up an FRS/GMRS radio with a push to talk button on the dock and that bluetooths to the headset unit. Anyone familiar with this?

no one communicates via frs radio? Sema has a "dock" for connecting up an FRS/GMRS radio with a push to talk button on the dock and that bluetooths to the headset unit. Anyone familiar with this?

Don't have a clue as to what you're talking about.

Back