Sena SMH10 in the rain...

I first had a Chatterbox, it was crap. I then went to a Starcom Advance and that was good for a wired system between my passenger and I. Then I went wireless with the SMH-10 between my passenger and I and have never looked back.

I use it on a daily basis for phone calls and listening to music while commuting to work.

I also had a chatterbox hbi2-h unit, until about 6 months ago. I loved it at first, but ecountered a problem with the charging connection. This is funny, because I chose chatterbox over other units, because it was low profile. I didn't want a bulky unit that stuck too far off the side of my helmet. The chatterbox did well for the first few years that I had it, until I started to get some weird interruptions in the audio, as I streamed music from my Android phone. And then the charging connection failed.

I bought a Sena SMH-10 after that. It is 100% better than the chatterbox IMO. This until is flawless. Super easy to use & control. I also was caught in a heavy down pour, & noooo issues at all. I love the hands free answering of an incoming call (all I say is HELLO into the mic, when a call comes through & it connects the call). Another selling point for me was that the unit can simultaneously connect more than 1 bluetooth devices at once (chatterbox can't). What that means for me, is that I can leave my older Android phone, that I've upgraded from, on the bike all the time (as a music player), and keep my cuurent phone on my side or pocket, & receive phone calls as they come through. Another selling point, is that the charging connector for the SMH-10 is the same as my Android phone (mini USB), so I could use any Android charger for the unit, anywhere available. The chatterbox have a small 2.5mm end, that is exclusive. Also battery life for my Sena is excellent. Much, much better, by experience than the chatterbox I had. I also like the volume knob; rotate it forward or backward to control volume, oppose to buttons to press, like the chatterbox have.

On the note of low profile, I considered getting the SMH-10r, but didn't like the idea of mounting the unit, & the battery separate via a wire to the outside of the helmet. My concern with the SMH-10 was that it would be too bulky looking/feeling, but not so, after using it.

I highly recommend the Sena SMH-10.

Side Note: I use earbuds, as someone mentioned too. With the chatterbox I had the older Etymotic ER6i (which are no longer available). The fit was excellent. Sound Q good, but lacked bass. Well they failed me too. I starting getting sound out of one earbud. I know sometimes the filters get plugged, & they are easily changed with a tool. But I just opted to get new ones, with the Sena I bought.

After researching I got Klipsch x10. As far as fit (I mean with putting the helmet on & them staying in place), the Etymotics were much better, hands down. The Klipsch are not that bad though, just have to place them further into the ear canal, & position the curved end of the stem just right (google to see a pic of them). As far as sound quality, the Klipsch are better than the Etymo's by a mile, IMO. Very clear, crisp sound & BASS which I love. I'm still looking into retrofitting some headphone pods in my helmets cavities, & get away from the buds. Only problem is, the setup has to able to seal completely around my ears, with the helmet on.

Sorry so much, but I hope this helps someone else that's searches, like I do. :)

I use Beats By Dre earbuds, work flawless, sound great!

beats-by-dre-tour-edition-468.jpg

@GsxrBots Yeah, the design on the Dre's, looks like they fit well under the helmet. I like the "ribbed" tip that's shown attached to the ear piece. The round ones, doesn't give me a secure fit.

Thx.

Well, guys, I have bad news to report about one of my SMH10 units. On Thurs and Fri, I did 500 miles riding the twisties throughout the south end of the great state of Vermont... in the downpour. I'm happy to report that every part of my outfit, including gloves, boots and rain suit, remained absolutely dry...on the inside! However, my sena started acting up on Thurs after riding about 3 hours in the rain (shutting itself off when I pressed the jog dial, for instance!) and, by Fri, more rain and the unit became totally unresponsive. I was, to say the least, very disappointed because I love my sena. I've had this particular unit for a few years and never had any problems with the rain. Just recently upgraded to 5.01.
I've sent an email to the company to try and find out if there was something I should have done... other than staying inside by the fireplace... or putting the unit in my pocket!!! I thought these units were waterproof, like my Zumo 660, but I guess there is a limit to water "resistance"!! In the unit's defense, at times, it was really like riding under water...that's how much rain there was, all day. But still, these units should be rated IPX7, nothing less... considering it is sold for use on a motorbike!

Now waiting for the company to let me know what can be done.

Rene

Keep us posted on their reply. Very interested to hear how they deal with this. Good luck!

how in the hell did u wear those with ur helmet on? my ears wud not tolerate that for my then 5 min before they started hurting.

I wear those Beats By Dre ones I showed earlier EVERY time I ride. Hours and hours at a crack. Arai helmets...

So here is my hesitation going wireless. I need to attach a lot of stuff to it, GPS, Phone, RD, and Radio. I don't know how the RD or radio would work. Right now I have an AutoCOM with a PPT on the Kenwood radio which is awesome and very dependable. I hate having to charge stuff. Never fails that I forget to charge it when going on a ride. Also, I use ear buds and will not ride with open speakers - too much noise. I am looking for a replacement for the AutoCom as it is getting old. But nothing seems to be as trouble free. If I want to go for a ride, I just hop on the bike, turn the key and everything is ready to go. I also need mic to go to radio as well as phone.

Fallenarch, I do all of those except the RD (I'm assuming Radar Detector) Sena makes a bluetooth FRS radio adapter. Once the Sena is setup, there is nothing to it. Just turn on the unit, and start the bike. I've never had a connection issue that didn't simply involve restarting the headset (very rare and I use the Sena EVERY TIME I RIDE) It's just plain bulletproof for me. The only issues I've ever really had revolved around the Garmin Zumo more than the Sena unit. For the money you really can't go wrong. You could buy 3 Senas for the price of a new Autocomm. Plus there's no wires. I use headphones (earbuds) I don't like wind noise so I'd be using earplugs anyway, so I enjoy the better sound of earbuds.

The new Sena 20s is supposed to even be lightyears ahead of my SMH10. I'm still not upgrading until mine dies, and that could be ages yet.

As far as battery life, I rode for 1K miles over Memorial Day weekend, charged it Sunday night in the hotel, and rode home about 7 hours or so, streaming XM from the Zumo and talking non stop basically over the intercom. Got home and forgot to turn it off for some reason. It was on and still blinking on Wednesday at noon, and I threw the earbuds in to see if it would still stream XM. Worked fine. LOL You can even charge the Sena while you ride (micro USB) if needed, but I've never had to even on 12+ hour riding days.

I wear those Beats By Dre ones I showed earlier EVERY time I ride. Hours and hours at a crack. Arai helmets...
I can't wear em without a helmet so def not with one. that seems so uncomfortable to me but then again my ears don't tolerate ear buds which is why I can't ride with ear protection either

Fallenarch, I do all of those except the RD (I'm assuming Radar Detector) Sena makes a bluetooth FRS radio adapter. Once the Sena is setup, there is nothing to it. Just turn on the unit, and start the bike. I've never had a connection issue that didn't simply involve restarting the headset (very rare and I use the Sena EVERY TIME I RIDE) It's just plain bulletproof for me. The only issues I've ever really had revolved around the Garmin Zumo more than the Sena unit. For the money you really can't go wrong. You could buy 3 Senas for the price of a new Autocomm. Plus there's no wires. I use headphones (earbuds) I don't like wind noise so I'd be using earplugs anyway, so I enjoy the better sound of earbuds.

The new Sena 20s is supposed to even be lightyears ahead of my SMH10. I'm still not upgrading until mine dies, and that could be ages yet.

As far as battery life, I rode for 1K miles over Memorial Day weekend, charged it Sunday night in the hotel, and rode home about 7 hours or so, streaming XM from the Zumo and talking non stop basically over the intercom. Got home and forgot to turn it off for some reason. It was on and still blinking on Wednesday at noon, and I threw the earbuds in to see if it would still stream XM. Worked fine. LOL You can even charge the Sena while you ride (micro USB) if needed, but I've never had to even on 12+ hour riding days.
good luck gettn a Sena 20 cause they are on back order with like 15000 orders ahead of me when I asked....:whistle:

I can't wear em without a helmet so def not with one. that seems so uncomfortable to me but then again my ears don't tolerate ear buds which is why I can't ride with ear protection either

If that's you in your profile pic, it might be hard to find a suitable earbud. :whistle:

HANDS DOWN ! !
The Sena is the very best there is ! !
Easy to operate, only two big buttons, not 3, 4 or 7 tiny little buttons.
Has an extra earphone jack for your MP3 player, GPS unit or any other non-Bluetooth devices.
If your phone has voice prompt option, you can just say "Call Home".
The latest Sena unit now uses the universal mini USB cable for power and software (free, life-time) updates.
The latest Sena unit are now have universal intercom, they will connect to ANY Bluetooth device and I do mean ANY Bluetooth device ! !

Length of what cord?

Sorry Bots, I must have missed your reply almost a year ago lmao. The cord length from the piece that goes on the side to the piece that goes in the back, there is like 3 foot of cable. I have the shoei rf1100 and the only part that comes out of the helmet is the cheek pads, so no where to tuck all that ****. I rolled it up and took some velcro and it looks like hell.

GNBRETT,
I was just looking at the Sena 20S, 20S | Sena Bluetooth would love to see a review when you get yours in.
cud not wait and to be honest and I just liked the SMH10 better cause its all black and seems a little more streamline. the SMH10 is freakn awesome! I was afraid the volume wud not turn up loud enough but to my surprise I only have the volume half way most of the time.

Back