Sena 20s

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
I got my Sena 20S & SM10 yesterday. I ordered straight from SENA, and it said a 2-4 week wait. Mine took 7 days, which was a very pleasent surprise. I am currently using an AutoCOM Logic unit, which works great but is showing it's age. I was going to buy a new one but they are no longer available for the factory apparently. Also my local support dried up because people are all going bluetooth. I have also had a Cardo and aChatterbox, both of which I threw into the trash can and bought the AutoCom. Frankly I hate the turn the jog for this or that. The AuotCom was totally hands free, and since all was bike powered you just turn the key and everything checks in and works.

My first impression of the SENA is the thing is built like a tank. It doesn't have the plastic toy feel of the Cardo and Chatterbox I tried 3-4 years ago. It also feels quite heavy in your hand! However on the helmet, the weight is pretty much not noticable. Also I didn't realize how much drag the AutoCom had, as my head flet much more free to move around and side to side.

Getting the unit on the helmet was more complicated than I expected, and i soon had almost all of the pads out taping wires and threading microphone under the pading. Still, this is good, well thought out stuff. I would give it an 8 out of 10 for design and manufacture (might be higher once I put a few miles on it)

First inpression is wow, sound quality was awesome. The AutoCom ran on bike power which was very dirty, SENA is crystal clear. BTW: I was using earbuds. I tried the SENA speakers, which are better than any speakers i have heard, but I need isolation so it's buds for me. Anyway the sound through my ENR6s was awesome, and good in my Klipchs too. I like a full sound that is musical. I listen to old soul, rock and a bit of country. All good and significantly better than my ailing AutoCom. There is also a phone app, so you can really set thing up easily. I hated all of the clicks and double button pushes on other units that made working it always a cryptic puzzle. All works smoothly and easily with the phone ap. I still hate having to charge my helmet, and it looks like the 20S will not play while charging - bummer.

I will post a full review when I get the SM10 wired in with radar, kenwood radio,GPS, and XM radio setup. But so far so good :thumbsup:

SENA.jpg

I'm stoked to hear a review from an autocom user. I'm still loving my SMH10 and looking forward to the 20s when my finances allow it.

Keep the reviews coming!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Please explain why you bought the 20s and the 10.

I have read reviews that the 20 has firmware updates already and need to be updated when you get them.
Did you have to update?

Why did you order direct from Sena - what advantage was there VS some other retailer?

I also read reviews saying the 20 was not as loud as the 10 - so when you get the 10 mounted - would like to know if that is true.

Can't you remove it from your helmet to charge it? Or is it just a hassle to remove it so you charge it while on the helmet?

Thanks for the review - I have been looking at the 20S but the reviews were not as good as I thought they should be.
Thought it might be better to wait til next spring to get any bugs worked out and them shipping the units that already
have the latest and greatest firmware installed.

So after you use it for a while be sure to update this post with your findings, as I for one am interested to know the
truth from a fellow Busa rider. :thumbsup:

Red, keep in mind that Sena sends firmware updates about every other month or so adding and/or fixing features. In my opinion one of the best parts of their product. If it's broke, they'll fix it.

Haven't updated the firmware but it is a simple process of downloading the management software and them plugging into the unit. I just rode with it for an hour or so. The SR10 allows you to hook a 2-way radio to the system, it's not a headset.

Thanks for the review. The 20s is at the top of my bike wish list. Good to hear some real world experience from a fellow rider. Looking forward to hearing how well it works with multiple devices.

Red, keep in mind that Sena sends firmware updates about every other month or so adding and/or fixing features. In my opinion one of the best parts of their product. If it's broke, they'll fix it.

Fixing features - so they send you a faulty product and then try to figure out what is wrong and then send out updates
every other month - hoping one of them is right ???

Doesn't sound like the best way to do business. So if I wait a year to get a 20s then there will have been 6 updates? Maybe by that time they will have it
figured out and fewer bugs in my helmet. :laugh:

I have now completed about 4 longer rides with the Sena 20S and SH10 units and with each ride I grow more attached to them. You have to understand that the AutoCom is an awesome product, so it’s saying a lot that I’m getting a warm fuzzy with the Sena! The big difference between the AutoCOM and the Sena is that the AutoCOM is industrial strength stable. Turn on the bike and the AutoCom is ready to go – no charging, paring, etc. It just works. The Sena takes a bit more discipline to be reliable. You have to remember to charge it, pair it, push this button or these buttons, etc.

On the other hand the Sena is really on a higher plane than the AutoCOM in terms of capability. For example, I paired the Sena to something else (don’t know what it was). The AutoCOM can’t pair with anything as it doesn’t really do Bluetooth easily. Also, the Sena can actually control devices rather than just orchestrate the audio multitasking. This is a big step to me, so when the Iphone is doing a lousy DJ job, you aren’t stuck listening to it until the next stoplight. The things the Sena can do are amazing. For example you can setup intercom groups. Let’s say you ride with 2-3 different groups. You can set them up and store them on the phone app. The com is full duplex so you just talk, no “How is your fuel, over” stuff. Just a normal conversation. This is great unless you ride with someone who can’t seem to shut up or who loves to sing while they ride! Of course I never ride with more than 2 people so I’ll probably never use this. But I can see now big rides where everyone has to pause for a pairing break! My favorite feature is the button that opens a mic so you can hear people talking to you. For some reason people always watch you gear up, including putting in the earbuds, and then try to talk to you! I always want to say “hey dumb arse, you just watched me put in earbuds and since I don’t care what you are saying I’m not taking my helmet off to hear you!” Well the Sena has a handy little button that lets you hear stuff. This doesn’t work so well when you are under way (all you hear is wind), but it’s great at stop lights and such.

Sound quality is impressive, even if sound quantity is not. I have heard complaints about the volume of the 20S even compared to the older model Sena units. It is not a loud unit, especially compared to the AutoCom. Maybe it’s because the AutoCom was using bike power but it sort of like the difference between a 40 watt amp and a 500 watt amp. It’s not just louder but more powerful even when both sources are at the same volume. Still, the Sena renders rock, blues, country, and soul faithfully and with full range. Bass lines are clear and distinct, highs smooth and airy. I didn't get any of the harshness that makes you ears tired (at loud volumes the AutoCom could be a bit harsh). I have some Bach on the Iphone too and the classical music was clean with a wide soundstage, if not overly dynamic. BTW the speakers are magnificent on the Sena, but I’m an earbud guy.

Setup of the Sena is a daunting task. I found the best way is to go one feature at a time. I was disappointed with the phone app as it is not as robust as I had hoped. It also does not follow setup changes actively and I had to re-pair the headset to get it updated. It’s a bit like training, I learn a new feature then go back through all the features to try and burn them into my subconscious actions. Also, leave the settings on the phone app in the default until you really have things under control, otherwise its chaos! I ended up just deleting the app and reloading it. The Sena also has some pretty handy voice controls which I have not mastered yet.

Finally a phone system you can use while riding! I could never get my IPhone to work through the Garmin 660 or the AutoCom. Both Garman and AutoCom said "we're working on that" for 3-4 years. The Sena works pretty seamlessly on incoming calls but was still a bit of a hit and miss when calling from the Sena headset. Let's just keep that between you and me though, don't want to wife to know I can receive her "when are you coming home" calls!

The SH10 is pretty much fool-proof (Willie-proof as my wife calls it). Plug everything up, pair it like the book instructs and that's the last time you have to touch it. I’m still having trouble with the volume levels of the different things paired in to the 20S though. For example the radar can only be heard when it comes on or off, or when there is a hit so getting the volume right may take some time. The GPS also seems to return to a really low volume and won’t hold my setting.

All in all I’m pretty happy with the Sena. I haven’t even tried the radio as I never listen to radio, just XM. I recommend it but it is for riders that really demand state of the art communications, and are willing to work at learning how to use it.

Thanks for the update. :thumbsup:

SO do you plan on keeping BOTH the 20s and the 10?
Is the AutoCom off the bike or coming off the bike or are you going to leave that on for awhile?

First of all the SR10 is a totally different thing that a headset, I think you are confusing this with the SMH10 which is an older headset. It allows you to connect multiple things to the Sena system using Bluetooth. It is designed to allow you to connect a Kenwood bike to bike radio to the system. this is it:
SR10 - Sena

Why do I need a radio and a Bluetooth communicator? Mainly because I already have it. But also the kenwood is good for 3-5 miles not just 1 1/2. I will be removing the AutoCom soon as you really can't run both. But I'll keep it just in case I want to put it back on or if something goes wrong with the Sena.

Fixing features - so they send you a faulty product and then try to figure out what is wrong and then send out updates
every other month - hoping one of them is right ???

Doesn't sound like the best way to do business. So if I wait a year to get a 20s then there will have been 6 updates? Maybe by that time they will have it
figured out and fewer bugs in my helmet. :laugh:

Frankly this stuff is way better than the comparable setups I have experience with. The fact that Sena is responsive is a good thing. It's pretty clear that either the Sena development team spent a lot of time on the road testing this thing or the listen to their customers as the basic setup is very mature development wise.

Awesome reviews. Wish I had a hook up for Sena units. I run a Scala G9X, no issues with it so far.

More and more each time I ride. Today I made a call using speed dial at 90MPH. Worked fine but the guy I called said it was a bit hard to hear over the wind.

I LOVE my Sena SM10 ! !
I had the older model back in 2009 and then I upgraded to the newer model in 2012 with the micro USB cable, voice prompts and the universal intercom feature.
For the money the Sena can’t be beat, it's small, the sound is amazing, the battery last for months befor needing to be recharged and best of all it only has two buttons that control everything that you can actually operate with gloves on ! !

ear buds? doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of haven the unit itself? I have wireless earbuds that work with my Iphone. if thats what ur doin I see no need to install an entire unit. the whole reason I bought the SMH10 was so I didn't have to use my earbuds and my ears won't get tired of haven the earbuds in.

the smh10 is pretty freakn loud. in fact I always turn mine down but maybe my helmet is quieter IDN.

I thought that GNBRETT said he used ear plugs and that the speakers were powerful enough to still hear the music etc.
That is the route that I would plan on going. Although he did have the 10 I believe.

Next spring I hope to maybe get a S20 by then all the bugs might be fixed.
And by waiting till spring I won't get so depressed looking at it and not being able to use it except in my living room. :banghead:

Back