Semi-new owner with a few maintenance Q's

Chris03

Registered
Hi everyone, I picked up a new Hayabusa (brand new '03 left-over, found at a small dealer in upstate New York) back in September. Last week, I thoroughly washed it (at times using a tooth brush and q-tips!!) to get it ready for winter storage, and have a few general maintenance/storage questions.

I'm looking into possibly bringing the bike inside, keeping it in my basement for the winter, but that will depend on how feasible it'll be to get it down (and then back up) a flight of stairs. If I do get it inside and drain the gas tank completely, is there still any danger of rust in the tank? The house is dry as hell over the winter, but the basement can get a bit damp during the early spring months with the warmer temperatures and melting snow.

When I prepared it for storage, I also cleaned, oiled and adjusted the chain. The manual states that it should have 20 to 30mm of play - how much force should this be measured with? I have it adjusted for 25mm of play, but have to put a fair amount of pressure, up and down, on the chain to get that. I have a feeling the chain is too tight.

Also on the topic of chain, it's been said that the chain should be adjusted while the bike is on the kickstand as opposed to the rear stand. Is the rear stand referring to the bolt-on center stand? I picked up one of those rear spool-type swingarm stands, and this is what I adjusted the chain on. It seems more likely to have the full weight of the bike on this stand than on the kick stand.

Finally, when I cleaned behind the front sprocket cover, I had to remove the coolant overflow tank and noticed some "stuff" (for lack of a better word) in the bottom of the tank. It was a lighter color, cloudy substance. If I rocked the tank back and forth, it would flow with the coolant, so it wasn't a solid. Just wondering what it might be. Probably a good idea to flush the coolant and put in some fresh, no?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not familar with storing a bike. Just wanted to say, don't count on riding the Busa on Stairs. So it's stored outside
biggrin.gif

Now I'll step aside, let the experts say the rest.

On slack in the chain. I just take the handle of the wrench, flick it up and let it drop, then notice the slack. The force is minimal.
Some recommend adjusting the chain with you sitting in seat full weight. Someone else checks the slack.

Adjusting while on the kickstand the weight of the bike puts the axle in a position it would normaly be. On a rear stand the weight of the wheel is forcing the axle down. I assume the difference is negledgable, what ever is best for the mechanic.

There is a Spec for chain stretch. It uses weights to force the chain taught. Small ruler inside of the chain to sight on. First measurement with a light weight then another with a heavier weight. (Using a fishing scale
biggrin.gif
not actual weights ) The difference between the measurements is subject to the specs.

Online Service manual is on the forum. A sticky post, hmm where is it
biggrin.gif

If I had to store a Bike is cold temperatures. One thing I sure do is drain all the coolant. Find the lowest hose or drain on the engine and radiator.

<!--EDIT|Bronto
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101891860 -->

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Haven't had to put mine away for the winter, so I can't help you. Did want to say welcome to the board and post some pics of your bike now that it is all cleaned up.:D

some good questions, I store a dirt bike in a walk in closet and even with the gas tank drained it still smeeled like gas when you opened the door. I think the basement idea is good but might want to have a few buddies help you. As far as the chain goes I adjusted mine on the rear stand and then took it off and measured again. I think it calls for .08-1.2 of play. I use my finger and move the chain up and down not much tension. I have adjusted mine twice sofar less then a 1000 miles on her.

I noticed the white looking substance at the bottom of my overflow tank also. I took the tank off and washed it out. For the gas tank, if ya empty it out...hang a moisture bag from a string in the tank (suspended in the air) and put a screw in your overflow tube .. Worked on a yamaha should work on a busa.
The chain I wouldn't sweat it. Adjust as normal. unless you're storing for a year or something. Change all fluids and pull the battery. Add some air to your tires unless you'll have it up on stands. Wish I could give ya tips on the stairs, but that doesn't sound like fun.

oh yeah I had the cloudy stuff in the reserve tank as well, I drained and flushed. never seen that stuff before but haven't seen it since.

Wow, thanks for all the replies, I didn't expect so many so soon!

If I do get it inside, I'll be making a ramp to go down the stairs. I'm still weighing the pros (clean, dry storage) and the cons (possibility of damage squeezing it down and then up a flight of stairs). I should know within a week if it's even possible or not, just have to take a bunch of measurements. That'll determine the rest of my winterization.

Great tip about the moisture bag in the tank, never thought about that. I'm glad the white stuff in the coolant tank isn't uncommon, and I'll recheck the chain tension in the spring, there will be no more riding this year...
sad.gif

I don't have a photo of the bike since I cleaned it, but here's one I took the day after I brought it home (when the grass was still green and leaves still on the trees...). If I do get it inside, that mud flap in the rear probably won't leave the basement still attached to the bike...

As some of the questions might suggest, this is my first bike (street bike, that is, I rode dirt bikes for years). I know the whole debate about it's appropriateness as a first bike, but I'm 30, slightly overweight and pretty low key, so I wasn't worried about the testosterone factor. I came up with a set of riding rules to adhere to before I bought it, but I promptly broke every one!
tounge.gif
Overall, though, I've been surprised and impressed with how well mannered the bike is, given it's ferocious reputation.

Anyway, thanks again.

<!--EDIT|Chris03
Reason for Edit: None given...|1101909304 -->

busa2.jpg

Nice lookin' bike, but we are gonna have to put the reflector alert out on 'ya!

DUDE, A BUSA Down a real Flight of Stairs? I'm going to say it's just a plain bad Idea... Unless you have alot of help, maybe a jeep with a winch. I dont want to be trying to wrestle a Busa down a flight of stairs, something goes wrong you'll have 550 pounds in a hurry to get to the basement. Any other possible alternatives? Living room?
smile.gif

Do New York winters Stay Icey and Too fugged up to ride just a little bit around the hood once a week or ever couple of weeks? I used to do it that way, wait for a clean road day, then just get out there and putter around for a 10-15 miles, get everything up to temp then head inside and thaw... Just a thought.

Yeah, that's a sweet scooter. but you got to leave those reflectors in the basement along with the rear fender.

Oh and Welcome to the board, congrats on the new Busa...

Ok, ok, enough about the reflectors, they won't survive the winter either
biggrin.gif

Yea, the stairs are looking less appealing the more I consider it. Living room isn't an option, it's the same problem in reverse - up a flight of stairs to get it in, down to get it back out. Maybe the garage isn't so bad.

As for riding in the winter, January and February are usually two, long, bitter cold months. March depends on the year, but I'd still freeze my arse off. On top of that, even when the roads are dry, there's still a lot of salt and/or calcium reside that I'm not sure I'd want on the bike for any length of time. It's usually the April showers that finally clean the roads of salt and sand. It's terrible, and I used to like the winters...

Take off all the plastic before you attempt to skid it down the stairs just to be on the safe side. I think two guys in the front and one in the back should be sufficient to safely get her down there.

I've been storing my bikes for the Winter since about 1969. I've found a full tank of gas with conditioner is the best rust inhibitor. If it's stored outside remove the battery and keep it inside but not on a concrete floor. I put a 900 cbr in the basement one year made a ramp but the bike still pivoted at the top step. I had four guys help. The basement entrance was at ground level so we tied a rope on the rear of the bike and on the truck and myself and 3 buddies guided it down. Tough job and possibility of major damage. Good Luck. Oh yea if it's outside leave the antifreeze in it also.

It's only 6 steps, and it's a pretty straight line in the front door, down the stairs and right into the basement, but the slope has me most worried. We'll see, it's pretty safe from everything but the temperature in the garage.

And here's the bike sans-reflectors. You guys happy now?
biggrin.gif

reflectors.jpg

Welcome to the board. The only thing you have to worry about is the antifreeze freezing. You can test it to see what the freeze point is with a tester available at any auto parts store. If you are going to let it set for a couple of months a full tank of gas is best and you could put in some fuel stablizer. (I have a boat that only gets used a few time a year and I have never had any fuel problems and that is with nothing added to it.)
The white junk in the overflow bottle is normal and nothing to worry about. I do however rinse it out now and then.
Chain- I have a bolt on center stand and use it every time I adjust my chain. I have never had any trouble with it.

To change the fork oil, you have to remove the front wheel, then remove the forks from the bike. You have to unscrew the cap on top of the forks, then pour out the old oil. After you flush the sludge out of the bottom of the tubes, refill with fresh oil using EXACTLY the amount required. You need the service manual to find this information. After you put the forks back together, you can re-install them back on the bike along with the wheel.

Dude you have a garage and you want to take the bike down a flight of stairs!

Your either crazy or an absolute perfectionist!

Either one, I can identify with!!  
smile.gif

If you are taking it down the stairs (if the stair way is wide enough,) I bet 3 (strong enough) guys can bring it down pretty damned easy. Stick a bar through the big hole in the frame (I heard you can do that, not 100% sure) and have a guy on each side holding on to that, liftin up the back (slightly). Have one guy steering and holding up the front, and operating the brake. Just walk it down a ramp with all 4 of you lightly supporting the bike and fighting gravity. Of course, as crazy as I am, I would never do that. I love her too much to put her through that kind of danger!

As for the garage route, it's perfectly fine. Stabilizer and an oil change and your fine. Don't worry about the antifreeze, leave it in the bike without a doubt. I don't think NY is much colder than MA, but my brother has owned bikes for 15 years and every year he has stored them in a shed outside. (where my bike is now). A thought about the antifreeze freezing over never crossed either of our minds, and no problems ever occured. Hell, I even stored my old bike outside under my deck with a cover over it, and she came out fine!

So, clean her nice nice, fill her gas tank to the tippity top and pour stabilizer in there, change the oil, put the battery on a battery tender in the house, and put her up on stands in the corner of your garage with a cover over her and a teddy bear on the seat to keep her company!

<!--EDIT|jay21112
Reason for Edit: None given...|1103920632 -->

Back