Selling you busa????

Pop

Prairie Rider
Donating Member
Registered
Ok so I am trying to sell my busa. I got people coming over to see it etc.
I know this sounds dumb but what is the proper etiquette for selling?
I do not want someone without skills riding it, dropping it or getting hurt nor someone I do not know taking off on it forever.

How is this done? Thankx!

unless some one can lay the cash in your hand they dont touch the key IMHO.

NO test rides without you having the cash in your hand. Unless it is someone you know and trust without a doubt. Other than that, play it by ear and see what happens. You will have lots of tire kickers and joy riders. NO free rides.

That is what I was thinking also. I understand wanting a test "ride" but this ain't no car.

unless some one can lay the cash in your hand they dont touch the key IMHO.

+1000 no test rides with out cash deposit for full value. they can watch you ride it if they like.

I would never let someone come to my home to see it either, expecially my bike sleeps outside jmo

I bought a ZX14 a few years ago to resell, the owner wanted the full amount in had to ride it, as a buyer, i had no problem with that. Nobody should be test riding if they cant take it home

+100 to all tips above. One more tip: If a prospective buyer wants to check the bike over, best to meet in a public place like a gas station. Some thieves posing as a buyer use the meet as a guise to scope out your house's security (or lack thereof), locating where to steal the bike from at a later date/time.

Irony...When I went to look at my Busa, the seller was 45 and I'm 50. After we had a nice visit he said,"here's the
keys take it for a ride, I know you'll respect it."

Do not let them leave "their car" as collateral either as in the past people have been known to steal a car and leave them behind and take off on the bike.

If I ever go to sell my bike, I would go by the same rules as when I bought it. Sitting and flipping switches to check the operation is OK for the buyer. Riding is not OK unless the buyer seems truly interested and has the full amount in cash. No checks, cashiers checks, bank checks, only cash. The cash stays with the seller and the buyer can then take it for a test ride. You may go as far as having them sign a waiver or something very simple stating the condition of the bike before the test ride. If they do not agree with this or get upset, then they are not really interested in the bike.

No test rides

It only takes a split second for some idiot to wreck your bike

eureka misty.jpg

trust no one meet them somewhere cash only want to ride cash first they can watch you ride it or pay cash then try no joke I had an airboat stollen after showing it I hunted the guy down it took two long weeks to catch him the boat was chopped up he had a chop shop well not anymore and a few other things but back to the subject trust nobody EVER! You dont listen to this and we read about how it was stollen I will remind you.:rulez:

Meet in public place (I.e. motorcycle shop, church, gas station, etc), No test ride without $$ up front with M1 license and proof of insurance.

Meet at a public place. Take a buddy with you, never do it alone as the cash or the bike can be stolen from you if they have somebody sitting back watching to follow you after the meet is over. Only allow a ride when the cash is in your hand. If a person is serious they won't mind handing over the money to take a ride, just make sure the money is not counterfeit. It happens more than you would think. Follow all the advice from everyone above and it should work out fine.

Hav e them give you the full asking price in cash. If they crash it during a test ride they bought them self a crashed bike.

Ditto on the advice of taking someone with you. My last couple of personal buys (not dealerships), I have had a friend with me, usually carrying as well. When thousands of dollars are in the hand of another person, emotions can get high!

Back