Selling a bike on craigslist question

BLUR

Registered
I'm using craigslist for the first time selling my 636. I've received a handful of calls, some legit and some odd ones. Today at work I got a call and the guy was interested in the bike, but said he needed the VIN number because of the loan he is going to get requires it. First instinct is it's a scam and I said I'll call him back tonight, but no guarantee on on giving out the VIN. Now, I know some car loans need the VIN and car dealership adds sometimes list the whole number as well. So the question is: Is there any harm in giving someone the VIN number for my bike????

They want the VIN to do a search on it. Usually to see if its a legit title

Giving the VIN proves your ownership and that the bikes not stolen. In fact, I wouldn't even talk to you without the VIN. Absolutely you should provide the VIN.

Tell him to give you the name of the loan officer at the bank he is using and call them directly yourself:thumbsup:, if its legit he shouldnt have an issue

If you get a bad vibe from him ask all the right questions, what bank, who's he dealing with, do you have that person's contact info etc.

I sold bikes at a dealership and most credit unions wanted the VIN to approve the loan so nothing too strange about asking for it.

+1
Most banks and credit unions require VIN to verify not only ownership but type/style of bike as well. They have to ensure the collateral matches the info you've given them (loan officers don't ask for the vehicle to be brought by for an inspection prior to approving the loan - thus they need the vin).

They want the VIN to do a search on it. Usually to see if its a legit title

Tell him to give you the name of the loan officer at the bank he is using and call them directly yourself:thumbsup:, if its legit he shouldnt have an issue

Most likely a legit person....I would do what these guys said. I just sold my Buell on craigslist....to the first person to call me. He's picking it up this weekend. I even got what I was asking! :cheerleader:

as mentioned above banks or cu need vin to figure out type of bike, what year. this way they can figure out how much loan vlaue they can give to customer for that particular bike.

Thanks for the quick responses. This site is faster than Google! So the concensous is that it's legit. Good. Thanks again.:thumbsup:

Dave

Ask me what bank or who the loan officer is and I'll tell you it's none of your business..
Give him the Vin there's no reason not to. :thumbsup:

Back