seized ignition coils rk5

dannyboy

Registered
Hi, Went change spark plugs today and found i couldn't remove coils, i managed to get a small amount of rotation via gently using a ring spanner as a lever,but i still can't pull them off,is it safe to use a lever under the electrical connection,i've watched a youtube vid and they should pop off easy,

Use a rope or shoe lace . Place under coil elect connector wrapping around one time , and pull straight up . Careful not to punch yourself as it takes some force . Pull steady increasing pressure . Wear gloves for your hands if you like so as to prevent the rope/lace cutting into your hand .
Excellent idea!

Use a rope or shoe lace . Place under coil elect connector wrapping around one time , and pull straight up . Careful not to punch yourself as it takes some force . Pull steady increasing pressure . Wear gloves for your hands if you like so as to prevent the rope/lace cutting into your hand .
Hi
Thanks for the tip, i tried it with some rope and a 12" socket extension and they still wouldn't shift i nearly pulled it off my abba superbike stand!!!!!!!!, so i've decided to take it to the suzuki main dealer, if i was to break a coil i'm 20 miles away from the dealer

Hi I managed to remove all four coils without a trip to the suzuki main dealer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,The coils were totally jammed in the hole as the metal body of the coil had rusted and forced the outer plastic sleave to split,the split was about 3mm wide.
They were lubricated with silicone spray down the side of the top rubber and then gently turned with a ring spanner until they turned,then we used a peice on 4" by 2" wood about four foot long as a lever placed on the bolt which holds the airbox in place with a loop of steel rope with a double loop around the coil top, three came out with alot of force but infortunatley one snapped the top off, so i used a 10mm drill with some pliers to cut a hole to the top of the plug and then ran a m10 tap down it,i used a lenght of m10 threaded bar approx three feet long and with some nuts and a 32mm deep impact socket made a slide hammer and it worked (phew).so saved myself about £300 in labour i also managed to source a good set of coils for £60. so all in all it's been a good day.i'll be taking the coils and plugs out yearly from now on to avoid this issue i will also be using a smear of silicone grease.

Pics of Coil and somewhere theres a Busa under that lot

20180419_111341.jpg

20180419_114358.jpg

Thanks to all for the tips.If you are going to use the airbox bolt to lever against please pack the bolt with some large washers to stop the bolt bending or snapping off. you will have to forgive me for the quality of my grammar in the post as i'd had a few ( hic ) celebratory beers when i wrote it i was begining to think the engine would have to come out.:beerchug::beerchug:

Thanks to all for the tips.If you are going to use the airbox bolt to lever against please pack the bolt with some large washers to stop the bolt bending or snapping off. you will have to forgive me for the quality of my grammar in the post as i'd had a few ( hic ) celebratory beers when i wrote it i was begining to think the engine would have to come out.:beerchug::beerchug:

Wow...... finally managed to find something similar to my issue. My Ig.Coil is seized at number one position (nearest to clutch lever). Could not quite understand how Danny was able to remove his one. Worried about drilling into the cylinder head and contaminating it.

Mine were the same, lots and lots of gt85 and wiggling for ages... Pain in the ass but it came out eventually...

Back