Seeking comments on the SV's

LCW

Registered
As I've mentioned a couple times on this board, I'm taking my busa off the road, to be used only on the drag strip. As much as I love riding it on the street, I can't afford the insurance (gotta have full coverage), and I'm afraid my luck is running out on ending up in handcuffs (now that it's broken in, I can't seem to go anywhere near the speed limit). Besides, sitting 2" off the ground, 6" longer, and with a sidewinder hanging off the side, straight is pretty much the direction it's gonna be going. Alas, I've had a taste of the twisties going much faster and leaning MUCH more than my custom lowered Softail will allow, and I love it. Even better, I gave my girlfriend (the one who carried our helmets while I pushed my busa home awhile back) a "spirited" ride on the busa (including an accidental wheelie at 80 or so), and now she won't stop asking when I'm getting another sport bike.

So. I'm getting another sport bike. But not a superbike. Just something that's quick, and loves the twisties. And rides nice two-up. I'm thinking an SV1000(s), but everyone I talk to is in love with the 650. Obviously nothing will compare to the busa, but will I (and my gf) be dissapointed with the SV? Can a 650 be tuned to make two-up any fun? Or an SV1000 for that matter? Should I consider a different bike?

race.gif

<!--EDIT|LCW
Reason for Edit: None given...|1074394298 -->

LCW - I can't say anything for 2 up riding but I had an '02 SV650S and all I can tell you is it's an absolute blast to ride...riding position, handling, torque of a twin  
biggrin.gif
 ...it's all good.  

I put a full system and a high mount scorched Micron on it and it was even more yummy.  It's hard to believe the 650 could be that strong but it was.  I had so much fun with it, I wish I had kept it.

The 'busa is my absolute favorite of all I've owned but the SV definitely takes 2nd place, lots of fun.  Good luck!

wink.gif

the sv 650 is an excellent choice for the corners
i have a friend who owned one and he totaled it at least three times and still managed to get it back on the road for change on the dollar compared to the busa
the sv is a cheap dependebale bike and it corners great
i am even thinking about getting one if i find one cheap

LCW - I can't say anything for 2 up riding but I had an '02 SV650S and all I can tell you is it's an absolute blast to ride...riding position, handling, torque of a twin
biggrin.gif
...it's all good.

I put a full system and a high mount scorched Micron on it and it was even more yummy. It's hard to believe the 650 could be that strong but it was. I had so much fun with it, I wish I had kept it.

The 'busa is my absolute favorite of all I've owned but the SV definitely takes 2nd place, lots of fun. Good luck!

wink.gif
Yummy, eh?
biggrin.gif

I gotta see if I can demo both bikes (650 and 1000). Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for...

biggrin.gif

the sv 650 is an excellent choice for the corners
i have a friend who owned one and he totaled it at least three times and still managed to get it back on the road for change on the dollar compared to the busa
the sv is a cheap dependebale bike and it corners great
i am even thinking about getting one if i find one cheap
Yeah, the affordability is a big plus, being that this would be bike number three in the garage. Holy crap, how am I gonna fit another bike in my garage?

wow.gif

I'll find a way...

devil.gif

The SV1000 looks VERY interesting for a street bike. I think I'd have to go gixxer1k though.

I can't be sure but I'm thinkin' that ins. on a gixxer was quite a bit cheaper than on a busa when I was bike shopping. Could be wrong though. It's been several months and my memory migth have failed me by now.
wink.gif

I can't be sure but I'm thinkin' that ins. on a gixxer was quite a bit cheaper than on a busa when I was bike shopping. Could be wrong though. It's been several months and my memory migth have failed me by now.
wink.gif
I'de get an SV650 in a second if I could unload another bike. They are the bomb, and according to the locals here, the 1000 offers very little additional power for the extra costs (including insurance). I'de get an SV650 even over the GSXR1k since I already have a Boo, for me, no reason to get an uncomfortable full-race bike for the street... unless posin' is your agenda!

wink.gif
I'de get an SV650 in a second if I could unload another bike.  They are the bomb, and according to the locals here, the 1000 offers very little additional power for the extra costs (including insurance).  I'de get an SV650 even over the GSXR1k since I already have a Boo, for me, no reason to get an uncomfortable full-race bike for the street...  unless posin' is your agenda!
So anyone that prefers a gixxer over an SV for street duty is just a poser'?
rock.gif
poke.gif
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1074463627 -->

wink.gif

GET THE SV 650 ... ALMOST BOUT IT INSTEAD OF MY BANDIT B12.. I GOT SOLD BEFORE I COULD HOOK UP WITH THE GUY... SO I BOUGHT THE BANDIT.

I'de get an SV650 in a second if I could unload another bike. They are the bomb, and according to the locals here, the 1000 offers very little additional power for the extra costs (including insurance). I'de get an SV650 even over the GSXR1k since I already have a Boo, for me, no reason to get an uncomfortable full-race bike for the street... unless posin' is your agenda![/QUOTE]
Ok, don't know if this is true or not, but the sales guy at the Suzuki dealer told me that the 1000 has the same motor as the TL1000R, and that you can re-tune it to the R's performance. Besides Doc, now that you got me hooked up with Walter, we should be able to get whatever we want out of that 1000 right? Keep in mind that I need to keep the gf happy, too, and she's happy with 80mph wheelies. Accidental wheelies of course...

devil.gif

<!--EDIT|LCW
Reason for Edit: None given...|1074476857 -->

I Think the SV650 would be the best choice from a price perspective. Though I think I would prolly go for a VFR800, or even a CBR600F4i. Both are damn good all arounders that may actually be better suited to two up riding than the SV650. If your buying used I am willing to bet that a used VFR800 would satisfy your need for speed, and your need for two up comfort. Not to mention darn good looks and Honda's sweet ass V-4. Just a thought.

I Think the SV650 would be the best choice from a price perspective. Though I think I would prolly go for a VFR800, or even a CBR600F4i. Both are damn good all arounders that may actually be better suited to two up riding than the SV650. If your buying used I am willing to bet that a used VFR800 would satisfy your need for speed, and your need for two up comfort. Not to mention darn good looks and Honda's sweet ass V-4. Just a thought.
Yeah, except Honda's are ugly
biggrin.gif

Kidding (mostly). Thanks, I'll definitely check those out...

wink.gif
I'de get an SV650 in a second if I could unload another bike.  They are the bomb, and according to the locals here, the 1000 offers very little additional power for the extra costs (including insurance).  I'de get an SV650 even over the GSXR1k since I already have a Boo, for me, no reason to get an uncomfortable full-race bike for the street...  unless posin' is your agenda!
So anyone that prefers a gixxer over an SV for street duty is just a poser'?
rock.gif

poke.gif

wink.gif
Correct.

wink.gif

Ok, don't know if this is true or not, but the sales guy at the Suzuki dealer told me that the 1000 has the same motor as the TL1000R, and that you can re-tune it to the R's performance.  Besides Doc, now that you got me hooked up with Walter, we should be able to get whatever we want out of that 1000 right?  
[/QUOTE]
Well, why not just buy my TL1000R for $4500, which is loaded up with options and runs perfect... I will even drive it down there and you get me a one-way ticket on Southwest back to Vegas... I am afraid if I hang on to the TLR much longer I won't be able to part with it. One SWEEET-ass ride.

Well, why not just buy my TL1000R for $4500, which is loaded up with options and runs perfect...  I will even drive it down there and you get me a one-way ticket on Southwest back to Vegas...  I am afraid if I hang on to the TLR much longer I won't be able to part with it.  One SWEEET-ass ride.
idea3.gif

wink.gif
I got a quote on replacing my busa with a GSX100R on my policy. No change in the cost!

mad.gif

Not really surprising I guess...

Well, why not just buy my TL1000R for $4500, which is loaded up with options and runs perfect...  I will even drive it down there and you get me a one-way ticket on Southwest back to Vegas...  I am afraid if I hang on to the TLR much longer I won't be able to part with it.  One SWEEET-ass ride.
Got any pics?

Got any pics?
You know it!

Here is the build sheet:
PowerCommander
K&N filter
geared 2 down front sprocket
Yellow box to correct speedo from gearing change
TRE
Yosh dual-high mount full system
Intergrator
Undertail
Updated motor seals by Racers Edge - TLRs often leak oil without the updated seals ($500)
NEW front and rear tires
NEW chain
NEW rear brake pads

members.cox.net images missing

Back