Security solutions for motorcycle

dinodod

Registered
I was wondering what everyone thinks might be the 'best' security systems out there for a bike? I've seen handlebar locks but you could just easily cut the brake / throttle to remove it. Disc brake locks with an alarm on them are ok if they get disturbed but if the thieves use wheel lifts, the tires don't get moved.

So is there any truth to this or do you think you could find something better?

Security chains:
Almax Security Chains Limited (They claim a 5 minute anti-cut and have videos of the top brands being cut in seconds)

Disc locks with alarms (Don't think much of them if I was to lift the tire / physically cut around the locking pin.
Street Bike Alarms Security Accessories - Motorcycle Superstore

I've see a proximity alarm system as well that I was thinking of adding to my arsenal but not sure. I've already bought a $500 security camera from Sony that has dual cameras on it, motion sensor alarm, and paging capability.

Thoughts?

I've got a RoadLok and Scorpio alarm w/ perimeter sensor.

Up to date insurance policy:whistle:

All the locks and alarms are meaningless to a determined theif.

sent from my dunce stool via Tapatalk

We are going to have quite a discussion here, so I am just going to say welcome to the oRg. :welcome:

Any thoughts on ground spikes/anchors to anchor the chain to as well?

I'm looking for a solution against 42" bolt cutters since they seem to be pretty popular for most thieves to carry. If they are any more professional, I'd imagine liquid nitrogen be the next step up?

BigBSBusa,
I've looked at the RoadLok locks. Wouldn't a bolt cutter (i.e. 42") would chew them up for candy? I don't see how they would do anything against them.
I've heard some reviews on youtube for the scorpio. Not sure if the audio was poor but it didn't sound all that loud. I like the proximity option but is there anything louder? I think they are rated to be 120db which I don't think will be that loud for in my apartment.

And yes, I agree that a determined thief will get what he/she wants in the end. All I can do is 'layer' my security.

I'd also like to talk to those who had their motorcycle stolen before and how painful it was dealing with the insurance company. I *sadly* had mine stolen last week and while I had full covereage with GAP option, I don't know what will happen. I need another one but should I wait till the claim gets settled or can I go out now and get another thru the same dealership / loan company?
I'm already in the process of getting my security camera, just need to get a chain/lock.

Thanks

dinodod - you could cut the pin, but still wouldn't be able to pull it out of the lock assembly and you cannot cut the entire device. Haven't thought to need a louder alarm because of the remote. I have had a bike stolen and dealing with the insurance company was not that bad, but it did take a few rounds to settle on a cash value for the bike. Probably took about 4 days total once the police report was finalized.

I know that a lojack works in getting a bike back, might not be all in one piece, but youll get it back and then see those *******s go to jail and/or get the ass beating they need.
Just my opinion. Oh and a big ass chain around it locked to something stationary like a heavy pole.

Also i saw this post one time
Leave a pair of size 14 boots next to the bike with a note that says "Hey honey we are out of dog food for the pitbull and 45 ammo, went to store to stock up, be right back" .....Make em think twice about doing something stupid.

RoadLok and Scorpio w/ Perimeter....and a cover. All that and a garage is best.

Ok, so here is the roundup perhaps?

Wheel Locks:
Roadlock:
- Locking a Motorcycle - YouTube[/url]

Locks:
Alboy: ABLOY PL362 Maximum Security Padlocks
Sargent & Greenleaf 951: $1,500 lock but easily picked (833c model shown:
& Greenleaf 833c Military Padlock PICKED! - YouTube[/url])

Kryptonite U-Lock: Kryptonite. I've heard these are easily picked (
"U" lock picked - YouTube[/url] &
Bic Pen Trick - YouTube[/url])

Kryptonite Legend: Kryptonite

Chains:
Almax 19mm (aka Almax Series IV Immobiliser):
Immobiliser 19mm Chain - YouTube[/url]

Anchors:
ground anchors, motorcycle ground anchors, chain anchor, ground anchor UK, elitesecuritysupplies.com
Insight Security - selling Taurus Bull Ring - Bolt Down High Security Ground Anchor nationwide

LOJACK!!!!

A very interesting site too: Lock Picking 101 • View topic - $25 Abloy Protec Padlock

Thanks for all the advise!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well DinoDod you certainly back up your points. Welcome.
Any type of wheel lock can be defeated as you say by simply lifting wheel but most thieves don't carry dollies with them. The link you posted for the Krytptonite lock being picked is not altogether accurate.
It leads you to believe all Krypto locks are the same and they are not. Model used is an old one. The Krypto Ny disc lock is supposed to a tough mutha. The roadlock is also very good.

Already been said if they want it they are gonna get it. All you can do is layer and deter as you say.
I just try to not let her out of my sight. Keep the bike inside the house and when I'm not home she is.
I ride it and come home. If I'm going somewhere like to work or other places I take my car. I've had bikes stolen before and it sucks!!!!

I have a Scorpio i900R alarm with proximity sensors.:thumbsup:
If its not loud enough for you then install a Nautilus air horn and wire it to the alarm system.... Trust me it will be loud enough!!! :whistle: :laugh:

The worse thing to get is a front wheel lock. That allows the thief to grab the front wheel and wheel-barrow the bike around. The lock prevents the front wheel from spinning, allowing easier grip. The rear wheel can then be aimed where ever they want to go. Easy to load into a truck with one person.

I know that a lojack works in getting a bike back, might not be all in one piece, but youll get it back and then see those *******s go to jail and/or get the ass beating they need.
Just my opinion. Oh and a big ass chain around it locked to something stationary like a heavy pole.

Also i saw this post one time
Leave a pair of size 14 boots next to the bike with a note that says "Hey honey we are out of dog food for the pitbull and 45 ammo, went to store to stock up, be right back" .....Make em think twice about doing something stupid.

Lojack doesn’t always work. I remember someone on here in the spring time reporting his bike was stolen and it had a lojack but there was a problem with the way lojack stored his info. They were unable to look up his bike and recover it. Im sure that was a rare occurrence but it does happen.

Keep it in a garage, get an alarm, lock it to pins in the concrete, and get good insurance. Thats about all you can ask for.

1. Get a set of metal grips.
2. Wire them to a big honking' capacitor that charges when the ignition is set to lock.
3. Hire a good lawyer.

It does seem if you have something nice, someone will mess it up or steal it.. sux but you can't let that spoil your fun by always being preoccupied keeping an eye on it. As stated, best to run good ins and make it unappealing as possable when parked. Good ways are keep it covered, big fat glaring lock, alarmed and in a well lit place etc. Lojack is another option if it makes you feel better having it... I can only hope someone would call the cops if they saw my bike in the back of a truck with the alarm blaring.

If you have a bike and I want it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I'm going to get it!

As BusaBret says, "Keep your insurance premiums paid"!

The very best way to keep your bike out of the hands of thieves is to keep it out of site in a locked garage. A home alarm system with an external siren is a huge asset. Forget about the silent alarms that call the police. I've got your bike and miles away before the Police arrive.

Around the Seattle area there is at least one bike a week stolen from an apartment complex or condo with a communal garage. If I'm looking for a bike to steal I'll be trolling parking lots and garages looking for an easy target. Beware of leaving your bike at a hotel or work place where you or security can't see it. A cable lock is probably the best determent against nonprofessional thieves.

It does seem if you have something nice, someone will mess it up or steal it.. sux but you can't let that spoil your fun by always being preoccupied keeping an eye on it. As stated, best to run good ins and make it unappealing as possable when parked. Good ways are keep it covered, big fat glaring lock, alarmed and in a well lit place etc. Lojack is another option if it makes you feel better having it... I can only hope someone would call the cops if they saw my bike in the back of a truck with the alarm blaring.

Don't bet on it. Now if someone passes them bc their doing 10 under, they'll definitely call :laugh:

:welcome: to the oRg :thumbsup:

Bottom line, there is no fool proof system or method. My advise is to simply be smart. I don't live in a high crime area. My bike is stored in a locked garage. When I ride, I park where I can see the bike. When I travel security is on my mind. I attended bike week at Myrtle Beach this year. The gangs use enclosed trailers and have members watching the bikes around the clock. I'm not a gang member so I stayed south away from most of the action and stayed in a hotel that provided 24 hour security specifically for the bikes that were housed in the lower parking deck. Even with that my bike was cabled to a buddies bike. If I have to I find a room that accommodates my bike.

Back