second bikes. thoughts and experience

methodicreign

Registered
well I have a lawsuit in the works and my lawyer is pretty confident all is going to play out well. I have been eye balling the BMW1200GT or in my wildest dreams the 1600GT as a long distance second bike. I love the hard bags and capacity and full on touring aspects of it. I did over 5,000km on the busa in 10 days this spring and loved it but for the long hauls I think the full touring bike would be better for me. I wasnt so kind to my knees growing up. Anyone else have one or know a guy, what's your impression, cautions, endorsements etc.
my fiancée is looking really hard the 800GT and I'll be buying her that at the very least, maybe I can swing a package deal with the stealership in the dead if winter on this years remaining models or something. I was also considering going to Washington state to buy them and take advantage of way lower American MSRP and see if it's worth importing one

well I have a lawsuit in the works and my lawyer is pretty confident all is going to play out well.

my fiancée is looking really hard the 800GT and I'll be buying her that at the very least,

Welcome Kmart shoppers. The red light special is found on isle 9 featuring the BMW1200GT and it's smaller brethren 800GT (For the Girl Friend) can be found on isle 5.

We also have financing available. A promissory note signed by the buyer and his attorney (Personal guarantee) to be paid within 3 days of the collection of all monies resulting from your judgment against the scoundrel who's dog pooped in your yard on Friday the 13th is all you'll need to take both of these beauties home today! :cheerleader:

My point is: Don't count your chickens before they hatch. A judgment is the easy part, collection is another matter altogether. I have learned the hard way that the collection part is the stickler! And, the process can be delayed and stretched out for years to come. You pay one attorney to acquire a judgment then you need a different attorney who specializes in collection to go after the money. The first attorney gets 40% for the lawsuit and the second attorney gets another 40% to collect.

Get the picture?

I do, and I'm not. but I'm a planner, and I like to get real first hand if possible opinions. a salesmen will tell me there is a reach around button on the thing if it'll make me buy it.

The Busa is great for performance with comfort.

Personally, the 1600GT is too big and heavy for me. I would prefer the R1200RT. It may not have the performance of the 1600, but it has enough for touring, just as comfortable and weighs less than a Busa. It is pretty good in the twisties as well and is a no nonsense reliable bike.

amazing adventure you went on. that's exactly what I want the BMW for. the 2 of us absolutely love the bike touring. the unplanned adventures and sights. it's an experience you can't properly describe to someone that's never done it. do you feel you could do the same, and be just as comfortable 2up on a 1,200? I'm leaning towards the 1200 for cost reasons and I am not sure if there is enough if a difference between the 2 to justify it

amazing adventure you went on. that's exactly what I want the BMW for. the 2 of us absolutely love the bike touring. the unplanned adventures and sights. it's an experience you can't properly describe to someone that's never done it. do you feel you could do the same, and be just as comfortable 2up on a 1,200? I'm leaning towards the 1200 for cost reasons and I am not sure if there is enough if a difference between the 2 to justify it

Dan got us interested in the BMW when we test rode his 1200. I am sure the 1200 would do just fine, we never tried to break any land speed records. But I am not versed well enough to be able to tell you the differences between the 1200 and the 1600 other than engine size. His 1200 had cruise, electric wind screen, etc. I do know the 1600 has a lot of goodies that make the trip nice, such as 3 suspension modes, 3 performance modes, Sirrus satellite, am/fm, nav, auto locks, alarm, tire pressure sensors, I could on and on..

I think you're counting on the settlement a little bit too much. Opportunist right?

Honestly, Don't reach too high... you never know if your lawyer might really end up over promising and under delivering.. I've seen situations where people have ended up eating their words
and having to pay out 100k settlements...

tw a discrimination lawsuit against my former employer, it's as cut and dry as it gets. they fired everyone that took disability last year. long story short they know there in trouble. it's an oil company and they would rather just pay out those that choose to follow up. it's a sad state of affairs but it's been going on for years. reason most don't do anything is a couple phone calls there working for the company across the street making the same money and doing the same job. those that do follow through are generally never hired in "the patch" again. even with gag orders in the settlements other companies will find out who has sued in the past. its alot like the formula in fight club, the number of people on disability -minus the ones that might sue, times the average settlement equals X, if that's cheaper then training new guys to replace them at a lower rate then that's what they do

I have (3) other machines and the Busa. The others are all BMW's an '85 K100 w/over 200,000mi (now in my living room). A '96 R1100RS purchased for a steal, and used for touring till I found a 2003 K1200GT. Use the GT now for touring, and late fall/winter commuting. Th RS for spring/early fall, and the Busa for Summer...it's a seasonal selection thing.

Back