Second bike for canyons

busafish

Registered
Thinking about putting down my tax refund for one of them e hem *cough* lighter 600's for canyon riding..

anyone else have 600's as a second bike for twisties or track dayz?

I was thinking about getting a ZX6R this spring to put in the stable with the Busa and ST1300

I have a second and soon to be third for the twisties and the track
wink.gif

03 Busa
04 CBR1000RR  Track
06 CBR1000RR  Twisties

1000 would be nice but ...
1, more expensive if buying new.
2, need more finess in throttle control more or less like the busa where as with 600 I can whack it open and concentrate on cornering
3, lighter.
4, replacement parts all over the place on ebay.
5, revs higher so I can pretend I'm on a motogp bike hehehe

I couldn't stomache the high winding, narrow power range of a 600 after coming from a busa and a 10R to a 600. Your mileage may vary... but I'd suggest considering a litre. I know all about the extra expenses and all, but if you end up like I did and just don't care for the 600 you'll wish you had gone with a litre.

Oh, and I hope you're talkin' about a well used older 600 if you plan on "whacking it open and concentrating on cornering". The new 600 class bikes have more power than you can use "whacked open" in the corners on the street if you're in the meat of the powerband.
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139345607 -->

I was thinking about buying another Agusta, but then thought of what I could do to the Busa with that money
wink.gif
. End of Discussion
blush.gif

I couldn't stomache the high winding, narrow power range of a 600 after coming from a busa and a 10R to a 600. Your mileage may vary... but I'd suggest considering a litre. I know all about the extra expenses and all, but if you end up like I did and just don't care for the 600 you'll wish you had gone with a litre.

Oh, and I hope you're talkin' about a well used older 600 if you plan on "whacking it open and concentrating on cornering". The new 600 class bikes have more power than you can use "whacked open" in the corners on the street if you're in the meat of the powerband.
rock.gif
Did you just contradict yourself?
type.gif

I want a gsxr750.

Not a wheelie bandit/high sider like a 1000, but more power than the weaker 600  
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139426021 -->

Well from experience, as a rule of thumb you would never want to go down drastically in motor size cause you will hate it. You are talking about cutting what you are used to in half (1300cc to a 600cc). I have never owned any 600 I went straight to a gixer 750, then a TLR, to my busa.

There are some things to consider when looking to improve your skills in the corners. Unless you are a highly skilled rider you will be faster on a 600 than either the liter or your busa. If you want to go fast, spend your money on Suspension and brakes. This will make you a much faster rider on a 600 than on a liter size bike.With a liter bike, if you don't have exceptional skills, you will either have an up close and personal relationship with the asphalt or be very slow.

The liter bikes now have so much power and breaking traction with very little throttle. Sometimes only two milimeters of throttle can make the difference of a high side and successfully completing the corner.

I have seen this so many times in the past, a rider wants a track/twisty bike and thinks he has to have a liter bike, I want to keep up with my buddies? What happens most of the time is they end up not being able to keep up with the 600's. Once the liter bike breaks traction (Especially with street tires) a second time, it scares them into submission and they become afraid to twist the throttle. Once you are afraid of the bike, the fun is all over.

My suggestion is, and remember it's only my opinion, is to get yourself a cheap 600 that you won't mind crashing, because if you ride it aggressively you will crash, spend some coin on good suspension and the best brakes you can get. Spend some time on the track and get some instruction. You will be surprised how much faster and how much confidence you will aquire by summers end.

The other option is to spend your money on your busa, suspension and brakes. Your busa (And I'm sure I'll catch a lot of flak for this one) will never compete with a 600 but you can have tons of fun and drag your knee in every corner. The draw back is, if you drop it, it's going to be expensive.

Well from experience, as a rule of thumb you would never want to go down drastically in motor size cause you will hate it.  You are talking about cutting what you are used to in half (1300cc to a 600cc).  I have never owned any 600 I went straight to a gixer 750, then a TLR, to my busa.
You're talking cc's cut in half. Definitely not hp. A good 600 will have plenty of umph in the power band and top end for canyon/track days. The only consideration I would add is the weight of the rider. For most people a 600 will suffice until you're ready for more power (meaning more roadracing experience).

Back