Second attempt at smoking ribs

fast08busa

Professional Pilot kinda sorta
Registered
I dont know what im doin wrong. I have a small brinkman stand uo smoker and eberything else ive smoked has turned out moist and tender but my ribs are not coming out very tender. I have my heat right, the water bowl filled and it just doesnt seem to tenderize very well. Maybe I should bake them for a couple hours then throw them on the smoker. Any tips?

Season, (Montreal steak seasoning works great), wrap in foil, 275 to 300 for 2 hours or so in oven), put on your grill, watch until charred. Then, sauce of choice, until carmelized.
If you aren't going to use a sauce, at step one, use a really good dry rub.
Key is to make sure your grill is HOT. YOU're leaving 'em on too long, and drying 'em out.

Mmmmmmmmmm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327360623.345915.jpg

Man I am starving and now jonesing for making my own drum smoker. I have the drum.

Question: After reading all your links and looking at the pics, what are you putting in the basket in the bottom..Charcoal? Can you give me some links on how to USE the drum smoker?

Everything you want to know is on THAT site (there are others), I hope this helps.

Vertical Drum Smokers

I use Kingsford. It is hard to find good lump charcoal here in California. At least in my neck of the woods.

ANY questions at all, just ask. PM me as I don`t go back and read threads too often.

If you have a "new" drum, you are good to go. A used drum, you need to know what was in it. A used drum will need a burn or two with lumber or a weed torch.

If you have everything, all of the parts. The UDS is a two hour build.

I've been reading your links...fascinating...makes my mouth water thinking about it...Yes I have some questions. That thing in the bottom (to hold the charcoal i assume), how does it last all day and how do you regulate the temp? I assume with the air intake?

I've been reading your links...fascinating...makes my mouth water thinking about it...Yes I have some questions. That thing in the bottom (to hold the charcoal i assume), how does it last all day and how do you regulate the temp? I assume with the air intake?[/QUOTE

+1 on everything Big Bo said. Temp is regulated with air intakes. I use two 3/4 in. capped plumbers fittings and a 1 in. ball valve to fine tune the temp in my drum. Usually don't have to add more charcoal unless I smoke for more than 8 or 9 hours at 225 degrees

I have a basket that is 12" tall and 14" wide. With the basket full I can get a 24hr + burn time. Think of your busa engine rpm`s, on the smoker think heat. More throttle, more rpm`s. Open the vents more to let in more air and you get more heat. Temps are easy to maintain as the unit is prettymuch air tight. You control the temps by controlling the air intake. When you are done, close the vents and cap the exhaust stack and the fire dies out. The coals can be used again, and again.

The whole bakset is NOT LIT! I start off with a chemney starter about 3/4 full. Lite it, let the coals glow red, then empty the red coals onto the basket (1/2 to 3/4 full of charcoal). Put the lid on the UDS (with the intakes open) and watch the temps for 20-30 min. Adjust as needed. Put your chunk(s) of wood on for smoke, then the meat on and you are smoking. The temp will drop 20* or so, but that is OK. The meat is going to absorb heat, the temps will come up again.

Try it. It is simple. This is a VERY efficent unit. It does not burn a lot of fuel.

for a tenderer rib, try injecting them with butter, put on a good rub, smoke for 3-4hrs until level of smokey flovor is acheved,
then wrap them in foil and finish them in the smoker for another 3-4hrs.

fall apart tender. :thumbs:

I stopped using BBQ sauce. I LOVE dry rubs. Mouth watering.

that's the only way to cook, imho.
a good rub turns into sauce as you cook it. my rub has most of the ingredients of a good bbq sauce.
salt
pepper
onion powder
garlic powder
brown sugar
paprika
mild chili powder

:bowdown: :thumbs:

:laugh: now im hungry! think im going to go get some ribs. :laugh:

I am making my upright drum smoker this weekend. I pick the barrel up today after work. I found a used one for $20 with a lid. What do you use to check your temps with? Regular gauge or electric? Do you start the fire in it and let them burn down to coals before putting the meat and lid on?

electric works best but i don't have one. picked up a cheepo at wally world for a few bucks. works for me. i try and keep temp between 180-220 when cookiing.
with coals i found it better to let the smoker regulate temp before i put meat on. so yea, let it burn down some.

:poke: im gonna want to see pics. :thumbs:

Back