Seat question

jramsey8258

Registered
I'm a new owner of 07 Busa and having low back and hip pain after riding for more than 45 minutes. I just sold my GSXR 600 to fund the Busa and had no problems doing 3-400 mile days with almost no back/hip pain on it. The previous owner put an aftermarket gel seat (not sure of brand) on it, think that may be the issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe, maybe not.
Seats are a personal preference.
What one person thinks is a great seat, another will hate.
The Busa's riding position is a lot different than the 600, as you know of course.
The extra reach to the bars may be cramping your hips.
Seat time on the Busa may resolve your problem, or it may not.
What in particular feels wrong?
Seat too high? Too low? Too wide?
Leaning too far forward?
Pegs feel too high?
Seat time usually helps, but there's a lot of options for seats, bars, and pegs.

It feels like my hips are rolling under and putting everything in a bind. I'm fairly short 5'6" so that may be magnifying the problem.

Have you tried to scoot up closer to the tank? A Tobin/New Image will roll your hips back towards the rear. A stock seat will have your hips rolled slightly forward to a neutral position. I was more comfortable on the Tobin. You need to get to a meet greet and borrow a few seats to try them out.

Sixpack is right, there are several ways to customize your busa to get it to fit you. Changing the bars or height of them with a riser kit, different seat, rear set and or foot peg position to name a few

My GUESS...more guys dis-like the gel seat than like it. Just :google: hayabusa gel seat review and get 1001 responces.

RSD.

It feels like my hips are rolling under and putting everything in a bind. I'm fairly short 5'6" so that may be magnifying the problem.

I would bet on the reach to the bars then, aside from your body just not being used to the riding position.
Try cruising with one hand on the throttle and sit back and upright as much as you can(as if the bars were taller and closer to you). See if that's more comfortable.
The new Image seat Twotonevert recommended may/may not help, again, some love them some hate them.
That seat is thinner than stock. It will put you against the tank, as well as stuck in that position.
You will sit noticeably lower so your knees will be higher, and that will put your hips in more of a bind.
Try folding a towel and putting it on the seat, essentially making the seat taller. Not so great for a short rider, but will answer some comfort questions for you.
If you can sit upright on the seat comfortabley, and then have hip pain when you lean down to the bars, then the reach to the bars is the problem.
If so, Heli-bars will raise the bars .75", and the angle of the bars changes too. The ends of the bars are higher.
You can combine them with .75" spacers and still have cable and windshield clearance.
The other bar option is different top clamp with a dirtbike style handlebar.
Adjustable rearsets will move so that your feet are further back, and/or higher, usually up to an inch in both directions.
The Buell peg mod will lower the pegs an inch, and there are aftermarket pegs that will lower them 1.5".
I tried all these mods and went through 5 seats on my gen2 after a back injury made it very uncomfortable(I'm also 5'10" and flat foot the Busa easily with a slightly bent knee).
The best one was trading my Busa for a B-King, same power and a lot more comfortable:laugh:
Hopefully you won't have to take that far.

:welcome: to the ORG! I rode my friends with a Gel Seat and it was Too Soft. I didn't like it at all. I have a Tobin Seat on mine and Love it. I'm 5'-7" so we're about the same size.

Welcome aboard! For the record, i love my gen2 oem gel seat. I'm banking on a LONG reach considering your 5'6" tall. I struggle with the stock setup and I'm 6'2". Try heli bars which drop back a bit to shorten your reach which would possibly set your can in a more balanced and comforting position. Good luck!

Welcome aboard! For the record, i love my gen2 oem gel seat. I'm banking on a LONG reach considering your 5'6" tall. I struggle with the stock setup and I'm 6'2". Try heli bars which drop back a bit to shorten your reach which would possibly set your can in a more balanced and comforting position. Good luck!

Even at 6'2".
Is it just me or was the Busa designed for someone with arms twice as long as there legs?:laugh:

Thanks for all the responses, looks like it will be trial and error until I get the right setup. Hopefully I can make it to a meet and speed up the process.

Back