SCUFFING IN NEW TIRES

BIKE DUDE

Donating Member
Registered
I'VE SEEN U TUBE VIDEOS OF GUYS DUMPING THEIR NEW BIKE BECAUSE THE TIRES ARE NEW.I'VE HEARD THAT THERE IS A RELEASE AGENT THAT IS ON THE TIRES THAT ENABLES THEM TO GET THE TIRES OUT OF THE MOLDS AT THE FACTORY AND THIS IS WHAT MAKES THE TIRES SLIPERY.IS THIS TRUE AND WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO BURN THIS OFF OR SCUFF IN NEW,STOCK TIRES.ONE GUY TOLD ME BURN OUT.ANOTHER TOLD ME TWO "HEAT CYCLES".ANOTHER TOLD ME TO SAND THEM WITH A 3M SCOTCHBRITE PAD.ANOTHER TOLD ME FIRST 100 MILES TO KEEP THE BIKE STRAIGHT UP AND THEN GRADUALLY START TO LEAN THE BIKE MORE.I'M I MAKING TOO MUCH OF THIS OR SHOULD I JUST RIDE? YOUR ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

big parking lot and some figure 8s ?

honestly, just take life easy for the first 100 miles or so..

No---you're not making too much of this. Not paying attention to this new tire thing will put you on your a$$. I do the last thing---ride for 100 or so miles then gradually start leaning her over. In other word---just start to scrub 'em in! Good luck.

rofl.gif

I'll bite my tongue...

Just ride the bike. Take it easy and be smooth on the 1st 50 twisty miles. It only takes me 3 laps on the track, about 8-9 miles, to scuff them up.

Things to remember, don't try to brake hard or accelerate hard. And don't just throw it into a corner. Go easy and be smooth.

Back