scrubbing in tires

bigbusabigbusa

Registered
i always thought you had to slowly lean more and more to scrub your tires in to get the greasy feeling awaybut i read somewhere that the casting film comes off by just riding and heating up the tire. can any of the experts help me understand? thanks

Not sure what you are asking but if you are talking about a new tire I was told to take it easy for the first 100 miles and then enjoy.
beerchug.gif

I've been running into people who are saying that the "stuff on the tires" thing is a myth.

I dunno. I've always followed the mantra and take it easy for about 30 miles or so and then let it rip.

Except the last time I rode. I was careful to keep the bike upright during "testing" but when I was pounding on it, it didn't seem to have any problems whatsoever.

Be careful in any case.

--Wag--

My 21's were slicker than owl......never mind. Ride a good hundred miles and slowly increase your lean angle and you will be fine.

I ride the same way I do when trying to heat up the tire on every ride. Don't go full tilt lean on cold or new tires until they have some heat in them. As the tires get hot, give it more lean angle progressively until your on the edge of the tire. It certainly doesn't take 100 miles to get them hot or scrub em in.

i always take it east for the first 100 miles, leaning gradually as the tires heat up, i also fount that sand paper can remove some of the protective film on the new tires.

Wipe down when new, I just use white fuel or gas or brake cleaner as stated above.
Not pouring on the tire mind you, just dampen rag and wipe like a cleaner until dry.
beerchug.gif

Always have to let em warm up when riding too.

You could wipe them down as suggested then just take it a bit easy. I just gradually lean more and more. Don't hammer into a turn, just take it easy. It may feel a bit squirly but it'll quickly grip if you're not pushing it too hard. All you're doing is scrubbing off the releasing agent that they use to get them out of the mold.
I never let customers pick up their bike without having riden it a couple of mile to at least scrub the middle so they cal accelerate, brake and corner normally. The bigger leans is down to them.

I read that you want a few good heat cycles within that first 100 miles. The heating up and cooling down gets the tire ready and gets the 'oils' out.

Let the air out ( not all the way!) and ride it around the block on the asphalt once.
cool.gif

PS. Dont go over 7 MPH
cool.gif

cool.gif

Tyre moulds have a release agent sprayed into them before the tyre compound is applied, this needs to be removed as it can be very slippery, it can be done several ways.

1) four to five heat cycles, ie: drive gently for 10-15 miles alow the tyre to cool and done again four more times.

2) 100 miles of every increasing lean angles, make sure it's dry release agent dosen't like the wet.

3) Clean the tyre with a kitchen scourer then take for a progressive run.

4) run them up on a dyno, heat cycle will remove the release agant and a fair amount of tread:(

I had about 40 miles on my new q's when I took off to Colorado and about 2/3 of the way there i seen what looked like thin rubber flaking off in patches. it was on the center and just off center. Kept and eye on it and when i got to NM...it was all off.

I thought maybe since they were not put through enough heat cycles they blistered some on the long ride?

tires can scuff in in 2 miles or 100.... just knocking off the mold release agent and roughing up the surface a bit..

I would bet a guy heavy on the throttle is going to get through the process a bit quicker than a guy just coasting down the street.. (talk to guys that race on sticker tires)

I think the 100M thing comes from yahoos that pull out on a new bike (or one with brand new rubber) and dump it in the parking lot in the first 100 feet (sure makes fun video though)

personally, i would never use any "chemical" compound to do this....

repost but here's the video!

bike crash video[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
When I get new tires I find a decent paved road and make a bunch of runs at about 50-60 and do the old warming the tire weave thing works for me

Back