screwdriver for TPS??

OB_Bob

Registered
My TPS is out of adjustment. I followed the procedure listed on page three of this forum from David G and received a C00 with the dash above code. When i went to adjust the throttle position sensor (TPS) the socket head screw had a small pin in the center of it preventing you from using a regular torx screwdriver. poop! I know mine is out of adjustment because the power commander confirmed it as well. I hope i don't have to order this from Suzuki--BACKORDER again like my manual, exhaust gaskets and everything else you try to order.
Anybody know where i can get this gem?
Bob

AutoZone

They are called like sercurity torque or locker torques. In my store they were not in with the regular torqe wrenches. I think they were with the socket section.

you get 8 of them and a special socket holder. they come in a red platic case about 4 inches long. I had to ask the guy at the desk for them.

You will know them when you see them they are some special steel he said because of the hollowed out center. I think the size you want is T25 or the one below it. But they come in a set so you will get all of them

Good luck, thats where I got my set.
It just another tool that I will use once and probably never need again :)

[This message has been edited by speed (edited 26 July 1999).]

We use the same stuff to keep Nerds out of our computers and from keeping people/users from opening up the computer,but all you have to do is break off the center piece and away you go.My 2cents

Thanks for the replies. Cisco--I thought about breaking it off. If I can't find one on Monday, that could be the next option.

Bob, make sure your rpms are 1150 when checking this TPS, if you watch the lcd readout, and adjust the throttle advance, to a fast idle, you will notice the bar readout will go to the top of the screen.

Is there an indicator that tells you when yo reach 1150 rpm ? or is it just a guessing game. I didnt think the tacks where very accurate ?

one quick question about the rpms. I know I didnt correct my rpms so I will have to re do it. What should be used to up the rpms from idle?

Can I use the idle screw or am I supposed to use the throttle ? My manual is on order, but any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

speed--You would have to adjust it using your idle adjustment on the right side of the bike.
DesPlaines Suzuki is the only dealer in the Chicago area with the manual, they invited me to come in and check the manual. I probably won't do it til Tuesday though. Its too far in rush hour traffic.
DynoJet did set up the map in the power commander for 0% at IDLE. I called and asked. They said the three or four bikes they had were at 0%, but one or two have called in with it at 3 or 4%. They are meeting with Suzuki's tech group this week and will let me know if somthing new comes of this. They did not use the self diagnostic check on the bike so they do not know where the dash was on the bikes. I wish I had a damn manual so that I could look it up myself and know.
SUZUKI really pisses me off. I called them again today and spoke with their customer service department about the back order. They claim next week the manual will be avail. They don't have a tech support line, how insane is that!! Then I call dealers in this area (Chicago is cold 1/3 of the year, but i wouldn't call it a small market) and most of them do not have manuals. This is why i try to service my own bikes. I would rather do the work and know what was done, and done right, especially on this machine. My best mechanic/friend, is on vacation this week or I would ask him.
For what its worth I got the torx tamper resistent bit set today from trak auto--Lisle Corporation makes them part #26000 sizes t-10 through t-40 are included for $14.00.
I will post as soon as I know for sure. Anyone with a manual please confirm the procedure for setting TPS.
Oh Yea, I asked the Suzuki boys whats in store for 2000 regarding the GSXR750 and Hayabusa, he couldn't say other than confirm a new GSXR750 will be out (possibly a small version of the BUS! and when asked if the BUSA was up for upgrades he didn't deny. (October '99 dealer show will be when--I believe in CA.)
Bob

Well, I made the adjust. Thing is when the dash on the bikes LCD display is centered, the readpout on the P. Commander digital display is now (negative)-1%, -2% at 1150 rpm. I chose 1150 because thats what stated on the decal on the right side of the bike.
Anyway, called DynoJet and decided to place the TPS at 0% on the P cammander.This still leaves the dash above the C00 alarm code, but there is quite a nit of movement allowed when moving the TPS before the dash actually moves. I am assuming the digital display is more accurate and besides thats what the fuel map is fed off of.
Then reloaded the original map from DynoJet (.003) Bike idles even better. The ultimate in accuracy to check this--my mirrors don't shake anymore at all. hehehe
Seriously though the throttle response is crisper. Thats all for now. Going for a ride!
Bob

[This message has been edited by Bob (edited 27 July 1999).]

Hayaboosa--Thanks----Yes I adjust idle to approx. 1100 rpm. But, I don't have a manaul yet and i thought the acceptible range on the bike is 1050-1200?
I have the power commander II and with this software i can run the bike with my laptop connected providing me with a real time digital display of rpm, fuel map, throttle position, etc. As you increase idle speed the throttle position % goes up as well. I am at 3% throttle idling at 1150rpm and it bounces between 2-3% when i am at 1050.
If the tps is supposed to be at 0% when idling at the correct rpm, it now expalains why my bike has some problems low rpm/idle.
With the power commander i shifted the fuel map over 2-3% and it helped the idle / off-idle response. I will adjust today and post the results.
Thanks again
Bob

I got my manual last tuesday and it had been ordered since May.....exhaust gaskets are still on back order. It took two months for tank bras....the local dealer had a black busa come in with frieght damage and this was in early May...no parts yet!! No matter what they do to 2000 busa I will not go through another summer of waiting for parts...99 will have to do!

Suzuki told me that my manual should be in next week.
I have riden with the P. commander adjusted with the TPS.
SMOOOTHEST POWER YET ///!!!!\\\
I now have a problem--I never want ot get off of this bike.
Bob

Suzuki Part #09930-11960 T-20 torx screwdriver - $13.80

Suzuki Part #09330-82710 Switch, Mode Selector - $13.06

These are the Suzuki tools for adjustment of the TPS.

Yeah they may cost more than a paper clip, but then we are not working on a rubberband motor. Should be available not listed as a "Backorder".

The Japanese lettering on the fairing side translated means BACKORDER !

Back