Scorpion Helmets

hey did anyone ever end up getting a scorpion helment. Where they in the helment review that the magazine did a while back

I may not be qualified to say since I don't own one. But I finally did get a chance to try on the EXO-400 and the EXO-700 at their Scorpion table that had been lined up. It was at one of the tents at that Suzuki Rider appreciation event in Fontana CA for the AMA Superbike on April 30th that just passed.

Finish and graphics is pretty nice for a $200 helmet. Weigh about the same as my Shoei RF-1000. The standard helmet carrying case/bag that comes with it is a nice touch. I tried it on and the lining was very very comfortable and plush, almost silky. So the fit was good well above par for a $200 EXO-700 or $140 for the EXO-400.

After I put it down, I played around with opening and closing the vent levers. The front vent lever tab just came off!! You know, the one that's right underneath your mouth. I just came off in my hand by me clicking it up and down! I didn't use any force, I swear! I put the helmet down and the tab right next to it and walked away.

Bottom line: I read all the great reviews on the Scorpions, how they can offer a higher end helmet features and feel at a "cheap" price. I was eager to get one myself, even if it meant ordering one before trying one on and feeling it myself. I'm glad I didn't. No doubt that the material is nice for that price. I can't say anything about the feature because I didn't ride with one. But that incident with the tab for the front vent... Let's just say that if they can't get the workmanship on the front tab right, I would have doubts about the crashability of the helmet. All the right element seems to be there, but for the quality of workmanship. I could be wrong. It can be just that one that's a fluke, or it could've been dropped or "man-handled" by some smuck before me. But you know what they say about first impressions.

Decide for yourself. I can only suggest: Despite what you've read of reviews and advertisements, go see, touch, feel, and play with it yourself in person and decide.

Maybe as a spare / back-up for the occasional pillion / 2 up passenger??

They dont have anything like that around here and i damn sure dont want to pay teh shoei price tag. Scorpion seemed like a cheap alternative and after reading the review i see that more expensive isnt always better. For the price the site says them make their own shid so they dont need anyone else...thats why they are so cheap
blush.gif

I'm waiting for an X-11, while I'm waiting, i might as well try one of these,they certainly look the part, I'm not bothered by thing falling off like the guy said in an earlier post,the safety ratings and fit are my concern, then comes the noise factor,I have 8 lids now, 2 more not going to break the bank.:) NJ.

I think they SUCK because the largest size AINT gonna fit me

I'd pay any amount for a hi-tech, lightweight helmet with good ventilation IN MY SIZE!! I need to try that Shoei XXXL but I'm pretty much stuck with the HJC.

I need to try that Shoei XXXL but I'm pretty much stuck with the HJC.
Damn man 3 X. im gonna go ahead and get the scorpion as i need a helment now and dont really want to sit saving money for a shoei. Ill let you guys know how it is. Probably wont order til monday though. As for the part coming off i have an HJC and anyting would be a step up over that

The last thing I want to trust my head to is "some person who hand-made or inspected my helmet".

How does human error play into a helmet's construction? Ever consider that?

Ok, so Arai makes sure the helmet they send to SNELL and DOT for testing is put together the best they can...and it gets a good performance rating.

WHat about the helmet that I buy off the store shelf? One of hundreds of thousands that some human who may be having a bad day - constructed.

I would rather have a mass produced helmet that passes SNELL and DOT, so that I can be more confident that the one I bought is made by the machines that constructed the one that was tested.

Now, if you are talking about simple things like inserting cheek pads and looking over the helmet for any misalignments, or something, - then what difference would it make anyway as to the safety of the arai?

Plain and simple, - Arai and Shoei are getting hundreds of dollars MORE per helmet because people are paying that for them. They are not hundreds of dollars better than the top of the line, less popular brands. Just look at how much a shoei charges for a paint scheme over a solid. How is that worth $200
rock.gif
? MORE dollars.

Doesnt make the helmet better or safer, just prettier.

A harley costs a shitload of money more than any japanese bike with the same features, and I dont think that makes it a better bike...yet the sheep of the harley world would swear that it must be better and they are getting what they pay for.

SNELL/DOT, and if you like how it looks and you like its noise, ventilation, and weight, - then get it. If its the best model KBC or HJC can make and it meets Snell/Dot and is what you like, - it probably is NOT any better than a $600 SHOEi that has a Duhamel color scheme.

<!--EDIT|HayaVegas
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117471832 -->

i agree more expsnesive is not always better. The z1r is a 70 dollar helment and rated higher than all other helments in the test that was done. Down sides is its an ugly ass helment with no aero dynamic qualities. Features start to come into play after a while and teh scorpion has a buch of nice features. so ill be getting that probably tomorrow night. helmet harbor has the 700 series for 199.95 plus free shipping
smile.gif

lets see i have had in my life these various lids bell, simpson, shoei, hjc,and then Arai and the Arai hands down is the Best i have ever owned and i personally will never buy anything but Arai from now own , just my opinon .

i just went to the scorpion web sight i may have spoke too soon it really seems to be a good quality helmet >>> Arai at got gear motorsports in ridgeland ms.>>> $275.00 thought it was a good price on the Arai one thing i like about it is it is a very comfy helmet it just seems to fit better than others i have owened
smile.gif

So let me get this right:
1.) If Arai and Shoei both start selling helmets for $199, you all will stop buying them, because you get what you pay for....

2.) If Scorpion, loses their motto of "the $500 helmet for under $200", and start selling helmets for $500 each, you will all start wearing helmets by Scorpion?
rock.gif
?

3.) I have some things that I bought at the Dollar General for a buck each, and I'm starting a website called "Household needs for under $100". I would like all of your emails and addresses so I can sell you Soap for $99.99! Only because....you get what you pay for! And you don't want those nasty germs all over you! RIGHT???

Sorry, I do wear a Scorpion EXO-700. I looked at the ratings (DOT AND SNELL). I love the comfort! I love being able to change from tinted to clear (no-fog) shields in about 20 seconds. I believe that the ratings will protect my head (as well as can be protected) in a crash. Hopefully, I will never have to find that out for a fact, but I feel comfortable trusting that the DOT and Snell ratings will be what they say.

Hopefully, one day Scorpion will be as big as Arai and Shoei and they will have a bigger demand for their helmets. Then when the price goes up, I'll look around to see who is wearing them then!

Ok, so Arai makes sure the helmet they send to SNELL and DOT for testing is put together the best they can...and it gets a good performance rating.[/QUOTE]

No manufacturer is allowed to send a helmet to SNELL. The tested helmets are purchased at random just to avoid what you are talking about. I believe what you said does apply to DOT which is just another reason to never buy a DOT only helmet.

The inside foam of my Bieffe GPR is really getting worn out, at high speeds the face shield is actually touching my nose. Not too happy with it as it was a mid priced helmet at $300 and it's only about 3 years old.

I'm definitely going to find a Scorpion dealer and check out their helmets.

The inside foam of my Bieffe GPR is really getting worn out, at high speeds the face shield is actually touching my nose.  Not too happy with it as it was a mid priced helmet at $300 and it's only about 3 years old.
Same thing with my HJC my face is always on the glass. i was just gonna order mine since there is no dealer around here

Back