School Me On The Fuel System

SSLogistics

Registered
I have been searching and reading all day and I am still not getting it.

Background: Totally stock 2003, 17,000 miles, never missed a beat until... this problem:
A bit hard starting and would stall at times but then something changed. It was running bad until about 3500 rpms then cleared out and ran strong. This happened after I was very low on fuel - running fine. Parked bike, drove 1 minute to gas station and then running like crap after a few gallons added.

I removed and drained the tank. Removed the pump and everything was shiny clean in the tank. The pump appeared to be clean but I did not understand at the time that the filter is part of the pump so I put it all together and added fresh fuel with a shot of Sea Foam and.....same problem.

I just changed the plugs and now it will not even start! :(

Battery was on a charger and was spinning the engine over fast - the headlight barely dimmed while cranking the engine.

I cranked and cranked, both closed throttle and with a partially cracked throttle and I do not detect any fuel smell from the exhaust. There was no detectible fire - did not even try to fire up, just turned over and I do hear the fuel pump prime when the key is turned on.

The only thing I noticed that seemed off was the old plugs were NOT tight at all and I could see wetness in the threads.

WTH could I have done to cause it to not even try to fire up?

So much of what I encountered in my searches made mention of fuel problems with regard to hard starting and stalling. Then I suspected a fuel problem and it is acting like a fuel problem....So please tell me how it works, I never noticed the whole deal on the fuel system.

Thanks.
SS

UPDATE
Never mind....

WTH is the connector on the left and slightly behind the spark plugs? Whatever it is, I forgot to plug that back in and it caused a NO SPARK condition.

Plugged in and went for a ride and the <4k RPM miss was gone too!!!!! :)

The only car, truck, bike I have ever had that new plugs made a difference was in my old 2 stroke dirt bike...until tonight. Add in another bike.

The old plugs which I believe were stock, I bought it with <2,000 miles on it, were not Iridium.

UPDATE
Never mind....

WTH is the connector on the left and slightly behind the spark plugs? Whatever it is, I forgot to plug that back in and it caused a NO SPARK condition.

Plugged in and went for a ride and the <4k RPM miss was gone too!!!!! :)

The only car, truck, bike I have ever had that new plugs made a difference was in my old 2 stroke dirt bike...until tonight. Add in another bike.

The old plugs which I believe were stock, I bought it with <2,000 miles on it, were not Iridium.
The connector plug you are referring to is the camshaft position sensor, it tells the ecu which cylinders to fire.

I personally like the "ah ha" moments...those times when you are scratching your head and then see something like you saw, a connector not secured...

Very glad you sorted that out. I've noticed Suzuki bikes especially like strong spark. Even my old Bandit responds well to spark plug changes, I know when they need to be changed when it starts running rough and I know the carbs are whistle clean.

Even though iridium plugs are rated for 100,000 miles in cars that will never happen on a bike. FYI car rpms are sub 3000 @ hwy speeds with max rpm 6500 avg.
Hayabusa cruise rpm is 4500 avg with max rpms near 12,000. Do the math, and you will find that Suzuki recommend change intervals are not far off @ all.
Also compression is quite higher than average automobile.

Even though iridium plugs are rated for 100,000 miles in cars that will never happen on a bike. FYI car rpms are sub 3000 @ hwy speeds with max rpm 6500 avg.
Hayabusa cruise rpm is 4500 avg with max rpms near 12,000. Do the math, and you will find that Suzuki recommend change intervals are not far off @ all.
Also compression is quite higher than average automobile.
Very true my learned friend . . . . the NGK platinum plugs we fitted to Subarus at the dealership were rated for 100,000kms, (60,000 miles) but as you say, the cruising speed rpm's of cars is so much lower which equals half the amount of sparks at the electrode per km travelled, compared to our Busas.
My cruising speeds on my Busa with stock gearing here in NZ with heavily policed open roads (100kmh speed limit) is 3600rpm, but in reality I'm pushing it a bit more than that :firing:
I don't use the iridium plugs in my bike, only because I want to stick with the plugs listed for the 1999 model, CR9E nickel electrode type. I'm replacing my spark plugs every 12,000kms, it makes a noticeable but small difference in throttle response and fuel economy.

Back