School me on ECU Flashing

superchargedv8

Registered
I have a gen one busa and need to get it tuned. The more i look into it the more i come across posts that state to get ecu flashed. Bikes are not my main hobby so im not up to date with the best ways to tune them but i am interested in how it works. So i ask....what all is involved in getting ecu flashed, what does it accomplish, and do i need to do anything else after i get ecu flashed?

Short answer Electronic Fuel Injected Engines can be tuned by setting the air : fuel ratio through the ECU or a separate device, typically piggy backed. Pretty sure it's typically done through controlling the fuel injectors.

There's an arse more to it, sensors everywhere.

You can tune through the ECU now, Bigger benefits are there as far as flashing goes. Restrictions can be eliminated. My understanding is that the piggy back devices make it easier for tuners to tune and possibly allow them to tune better. Others will argue that the added device and possible failure isn't worth it. There's at least two opinions here, but don't lose sight that some of the conversation goes well beyond the daily rider and lands in the competition where every 1000th of a HP matters.

I don't know chit

He ^ knows more than he lets on...."playin' stoopid" is sorta his hobby. :laugh:

What year Gen I ? I dont beleive the early years had an ECU capable of being flashed. You have to have the newer 32 bit version.

Flashing is also a bit of a money saver. You no longer have to run out and buy a Power Commander or other such controlling device.

RSD.

and your questions:

Whats involved? Taking yer bike to a tuner with a dyno and the know how to do the tune.

Whats it accomplish? It makes your Busa perform to it's fullest and is also pretty much REQUIRED after certain modifications. Full exhaust system swaps,air box mods etc.

Anything needed after flashing? Nope...just "Grip it & Rip it." :thumbsup:

Tell us what mods you have...you may not need to bother.

RSD.

+ 1 to above. copied below from here: ECU Flashing
Ability to view all sensors data with a laptop connected
Ability to datalog all factory sensors on the motorcyle with a laptop connected for use in dyno tuning.
Ability to change fueling maps (both IAP and TPS maps), ram air compensation
Ability to change ignition maps (you can add timing in the lower gears like a TRE does without messing up your gear based fuel curves)
Increase your factory rev limiter (current software supports up to 11,650 RPM, more RPM is possible)
Remove the 6th gear speed restriction with the click of a button
Change ram air compensation based on your gearing
Compensate for larger fuel injectors needed for high hp applications
Compensate for increased fuel pressure needed for high hp applications
Increase ignition dwell time (turbo guys will like being able to open the plug gap back up some)
Disable IAT compensation for dyno testing
Turn your ECU into an ignition / fuel kill box for use with an air/co2 shifter
Control a shift light, or any RPM based output using the stock flapper valve circuit
Switch-able map selection for NOS, different turbo boost levels, fuel types etc
Share maps with people across the world and contribute to new exciting features constantly being introduced and implemented
Visit the ECU hack forum at: ECU hacking

so, to GIT R DONE:
1. buy flasher and harness
2. download software
3. take bike for dyno/tune to a tuner who is knowledgeable/experienced with ECU flashing: http://www.batchgeo.com/map/?i=610dcd0c391f5115202f094fb87ef7e3

What year Gen I ? I dont beleive the early years had an ECU capable of being flashed. You have to have the newer 32 bit version.

RSD.

However, if you have a 99 or 2000 busa (16bit) you can convert it to a 32bit system. The instructions are in the forum. That's what I did and have flashed my ECU.

3. take bike for dyno/tune to a tuner who is knowledgeable/experienced with ECU flashing: ECU Tuning Locations

That link has been posted a number of times but the information it provides is lacking. It provides the name of the company or person but no other contact info. I wish it provided more. There is one shown in So Cal and it just has a person's name...a very common name. I have yet to find the actual person that does ECU tuning in So Cal.

my bike is an 04 model. I know way more about tuning when it comes to the automotive area but never done it on a bike is why i ask. So if i got this straight i need to buy a kit to flash the ecu and then i can take it to a tuner correct? Is there an option to just send my ecu to a vendor or similar so that they can do it and just ship it back to me?

oh btw I'm about an hour away from johnny cheese's place so thats where id be going.

my bike is an 04 model. I know way more about tuning when it comes to the automotive area but never done it on a bike is why i ask. So if i got this straight i need to buy a kit to flash the ecu and then i can take it to a tuner correct? Is there an option to just send my ecu to a vendor or similar so that they can do it and just ship it back to me?

oh btw I'm about an hour away from johnny cheese's place so thats where id be going.

Just take it to his shop and be done with it.
All you need to buy is a 2 wire jumper harness that stays on the bike($10).
You don't need to buy ecu editor as he has it, and he'll have the jumper too.

Tuners have been charging between 250 and 350 with a flash.

Johnny needs to answer that question :laugh:

Back