SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE BAD ADVICE...... Comments!!!

OB_valklex

Registered
I was surprised to see the maintenance schedule call for oil filter replacement every four times (after the 600-mile one). I've always changed the filter with the oil, regardless of vehicle. I only have 550 miles on my bike, but was wondering who follows that advice, and if there is a reason we should know.

I change my filter every other oil change.I change my oil every 3k miles and I run Mobil1 10w-40 motorcycle oil and Perf-form oil filters.Why,well both the filter and oil are of high quality and from what I read they can handle it.

I change filter every time I change oil. Feel filter is cheap insurance and not changing it with oil is like putting pint of dirty oil in with new. Just my opinion for whatever it's worth. Jack

I intend to change it every time as well, especially since I will use synthetic and change it every 3000 miles (or every year, whichever come first). Is the perf-form oil better than the OEM one? I will stick to OEM at least until the warranty expires, but I'm curious, especially the check valve feature on the OEM which brings oil to the engine a lot quicker than without it. I wanted to use automotive fully synthetic since it's basically the same, but nobody makes it in 10W40. I guess I'll have to buy the bike variety. Where do you guys get it?

The Perf-form filters are nice. They use a synthetic filtering material that filters smaller particles than the stock filters are capable of. They also have the check valve and at about $8 they are a much better price too.[I was paying $13 each for the Suzuki filter - what a rip] I ordered them online and they arrived promptly. I have the web site bookmarked at work and will post if no one else does.

Changing the oil is easy and I posted that topic awhile back,do the search engine on "Do it yourself oil change" and it has a break down on how to remove your plastic and everything.Good Luck.Oh ya get a good rear jack like the Pit Bull jacks,the best.

I've removed the plastic 3 times already, and even though is a hassle, I will change the filter every time as well (I did the first oil & filter change at 200 miles). I will use fully synthetic next time, but I can't find 10W40 on mobil1 or other automotive. I would like to avoid $8 bike specific because it's basically a rip-off, but nobody makes 10W40. Do you use other weight (10W30, 15W50)?

I'm at work now - here you go:

http://www.perf-form.com

Min order on filters is 4 which helps the customer as well since you don't have to pay shipping for just one filter. Use filter number J-509 which fits several different Suzukis. I have to say thanks to gsx1300rguy
who first posted this info.

I imagine that the rec. to not change filters with every oil change was based more on eliminating the hassle of pulling and reinstalling plastic than anything else. A shop might charge an extra 1/2 hour for the filter change,plus the cost of the filter, so the actual cost of labor plus filter could be as much as $40-50. more than a simple oil change.
I have always believed that clean oil deserves a clean filter, so mine gets both at 3500 mile intervals.

I run Motul 3100 semi-synthetic 15W-50 in my R1, GSXR race bike and will run it in the Hayabusa I just ordered today. Less than $5.00 a quart.

the scheduled is the guide line for EPA.
not what the manufatuer recomends.
I always change filter with oil change(if not it is like pissing with your pants on)
this is why CA. bikes get throttle bodie sunk at 600 miles and the rest don't.Just like 2 years for brake fulid change I have flushed my clutch fluid 3 times as soon as it turns a little non clear.
These are recommendations not absolutes.
WE tell our customers to change oil and filter every 2-4k.and other maintance when needed.do what you feel is correct and what you feel your bike deserves.
my.02

You can get Mobil 1 10w-40 synthetic motorcycle oil at AutoZone for about 7.99 a quart.If you cant get it there you can order it directly from Mobil`s site.The reason I change my filter every other change(6k miles) is based upon the manual and from an article I read from Motorcyclists on a 200,000 mile CBR 900 that followed the same routine but used automotive Castrol.I feel that changing your filter every oil change would probably provide an extra margin of safety but I feel confident in my procedure and the product`s reliability.

Back