Scary situation for my friend.

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
One of my closest friends I've know for many years had a truly scary situation.  First a little info on him, he has a permit to carry concealed in Louisiana.

He's in a Burger King drive thru, pulls up to order some food and the BK people ask him to hold for a minute.  After a couple minutes 2 guys in a truck behind him start yell'in and honking pissed off at my friend for holding up the drive thru.  My friend doesn't say anything to them or gesture to them, simply rolls up the window.  After a few seconds, they bump into him, maybe 2-4mph.  So he pulls a few feet forward leans over to the glove box to get his insurance papers and dials the police to report an accident, and  BLAM!!!  They slam into him a second time, he estimates they hit him about 10-15mph.  Then as he is talking to the police on the cell, the driver of the truck jumps out, runs to my friend's door, and starts to pull it open.  He's blocked in front and can't accelerate forward to get away.  He locks it as the guy is pulling it open, so the door is locked but loose(you can wiggle the door, but its still not open).  Then the guy reaches thru the window as my friend starts to roll it up(electric).  The guy is able to hold the window from closing all the way, as the guy is reaching one of his hands towards my friend, my friend pulls out his 9mm, points it at the guy's head point blank, and pulls the trigger.  Click.  My friend had just bought this particular gun just a few days ago and isn't completely famaliar with it.  Being that it has no safeties(double action only) he didn't trust it with a bullet in the chamber.  Luckily the guy had enough, ran back to his truck and took off.  The police apprehended them a few miles down the road and charged them with vehicular assault among many other charges.  My friend thought that maybe the guy was drunk, but the police told him later that the guy was sober!

My friend is pretty wigged out from this and this isn't the end of it.  Since the driver of the truck has been charged with a criminal crime, my friend can't get his insurance info to file a claim until after the guy's court date/trial.  The insurance companies don't have to pay if a claim isn't filed within a year and the guy's court date is more than a year away.  So my friend gets a hold of the cop who arrested the guy and explains the situation.  Luckily the cop said, "I remember hearing such and such company" off the record.  So my friend calls the insurance company and of course the guy didn't even tell his insurance comapny,  yeah surprise there...  As he talking to insurance claim agent, he tells them that the van that he was driving was full of computer equipment(my friend fixes computers for a living) and probably has over a million dollars of equipment that might be damaged.  My friend could hear as the guy on the phone told his boss that they had a possible million dollar claim on their hands.  Needless to say, after the guy is sentenced for his crimes, he'll also be dropped by his insurance which will cost him a fortune to get reinsured!  More justice to say the least.

The scary part about all this is we still don't know what that guy would have done if he had gotten access to my friend's van.  Sure he told the cops he was pissed from waiting in line at the drive thru, but how can you trust that??  He could have killed him, or maybe just punched him.  No way to know, but there are enough crazies out there I wouldn't be surprised if that guy had tried to kill him.

My friend is angry at himself for not being famaliar enough with his new gun.  He's had and carried guns for decades.  And he knows that he could have been killed that day.

My friend is also wigged out from the fact that he almost killed someone.  But he feared for his life and I don't think he over reacted at all.  If it had been me(I don't carry a gun), I'd slamed the van in reverse, turned the wheel to the right.  And run that bast@rd over.  Someone who flips out over waiting in a drive thru has the possibility of being homicidal, you can bet I'm not going to wait and see if he is!!

That perp is lucky as he!!.  If my friend had been carrying one of his older, more trusted guns, that guy's head would be all over Burger King's drive thru menu.  

And remember this Louisiana, just like Texas almost every carries guns in the trucks.  Its common, so its even weirder that someone would rush someone's car knowing a high percentage of people carry guns in there cars.

Its better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6...

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136186644 -->

wow that's quite a story glad he was OK another reason to be ready for anything if your gonna pack and know your weapon well before ya need it
rock.gif

Wow! That is crazy. Which Burger King was your friend at? I live in Baton Rouge.

Im living in Arizona now but i was born and raised in Louisiana right down from Baton Rouge and most likely it was what was In the van they were after. When i left the south and east sides of baton rouge was getting bad for people being car jacked in driveins or parkinglots for either the cars or what was in them. Remember 2 years ago think it was the local innovative audio store got jacked for a WHOLE truck of kicker audio equipment lol. Living in phoenix here is 20X worse tho. Ive had my car broken into 2 times , attempted 4 times , and my garage has been attempted 2 times i know of 1 the night i first got my bike. Guess i am about to start nailing everything down lol. But BR's always been a pain. Sure since the hurricanes the wannabe gang bangers from New Orleans being around isnt helping.

Its better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6...
Amen to that!

Maybe this was a blessing in some strange way to your friend. He could be facing alot of legal issues right or wrong if he would have blown the Hamburgler's head off. People be suing him because their kids witnessed what they thought to be a fender bender turn into a Fast Food Funeral. I think your friend was completely in his rights to do what he did.

I had a similiar incident a few years ago, but the guy only hit me 1 time at white castle. I turned around to look and seen him and his buddy laughing their butt's off/ I got out of the truck with my pooch (Schutzhund III rottie) and the guy got out of his truck and ran up on me / fronting - well good old Cannon (God bless his soul - I miss you buddy) - put an end to this lunitic's charge at me real quick. Guy ended up buying me my dinner, and ended up apologizing to me and was sorry that he was such an idiot...he was drunk and admitted it to me...but honestly, if I wouldnt have had the dog with me, when the guy charged me, I most likely would have pulled my CCW becuase the guy was alot bigger than me and litterally foaming at the mouth while he was charging me, and who knows what would have happened. I did fear for my life...but Cannon was not gonna get denied his turkey burger, so all's well that ended well.

Im not trying to jack your thread up, I guess what Im saying is things happen for a reason. God, if you believe in one, does work in mysterious ways and sometimes we dont figgure out a particular situation for many years as to why things worked out they way they did. If I was your buddy I would be happy there was no blood shed and things ended with a non-lethal outcome. Court is a heck of a place to be, innocent or not & sometimes as weve seen recently the good guy ends up getting raked over the coals for some PC reason. Anyhow, Im glad your buddy is safe and hope things work out for him.

<!--EDIT|valium
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136198973 -->

lot of crazy people  out there i drive a truck and deal with mad motorist all the time but nothing that extreme yet.i have gotton into verbal echanges on cb that have come close to fights.people that use there car 4 a weapon should not be allowed 2 drive again.:angry:and over burger king food at that.

<!--EDIT|ROACH
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136209916 -->

its the people inside taking long anyway not yopur buddy. if somebody is talking on a cell phone when its there turn 2 order or get a call. i will tell people taking order i dont wait on cell phone calls. dont want 2 be a hothead but i wont wait on cell phones but i will just leave not cause trouble.

And poeple call us CRAZY for living here in SoCal. Im glad it worked out for your freind SirCharles.

Glad it worked out for your buddy, could have been an ugly situation. One thing I commend him for is pulling the trigger. There is no point drawing it if you ain't committed....

That is a meesed up situation for your friend. It is bad that people get that crazy at a drive threw in the middle of the day. I would have done the same thing as your friend did. I keep my .40 under my seat and I have pulled it on someone running up to my truck late at night in a club parking lot. I am glad that your friend didn't shoot the perp though or he would be in court forever. Hope all works out for him.

Thats messed up. glad your buddy walked away with just damage to vehicle and some stress over what happened, rather than living with the fact he killed someone or even worse that he was killed..

I have a CCW permit here in AZ, but haven't been packing since I came home from Iraq (don't trust myself yet). BUT, the biggest fear I have is having to go to court and be tried for using my weapon in self defense. But, like was mentioned above, better to be tried by 12 then carried by 6...

Man just goes to show you, you never know when or where you may have to take a life, or yours maybe taken. Glad everything worked out ok. You could have been on here telling a completely different story.

Maybe this was a blessing in some strange way to your friend. He could be facing alot of legal issues right or wrong if he would have blown the Hamburgler's head off.
I completely agree that the best outcome has occured.

No one was killed and the bad guy was caught.

My friend does have a very sore back and neck from the second ramming. And we have yet to see what the justice system will do. But it most definately could have been a lot worse.

Back