Scary noise

black2003

Registered
Hey dudes!!
I hope everybody is enjoying the last days of summer.
all_coholic.gif

I'm pretty sure someone on this board will be able to help me. My new busa is doing a strange noise (klunk), wich sounds like a hammer hit near the transmission everytime I get off. Solo or with my wife, the noise is still there. I've checked the chain tension and everything is ok. The chain is ok too and clean and well lubricate. It,s not a loud noise but scary enough to mention. It seems to disapear if I let the clutch go real smooth. Is anyone who experience this? BTW mine is only 1500 miles.
1zhelp.gif

Check that yer chain is not stretched in one place.
Sounds exactly like what happened to mine.
I just rolled my bike ahead about 8 feet while checking the tension at the same time.
At one spot in the rotation of the rear wheel it was right tight then 180 degrees wheel rotation later it had an inch of play.
super.gif

All stock Busa's have a clutch issue....If one launches abit to hard it growls and grabs and can stall the engine ...only way to overide it is take out the clutch at "small throttle openings" and ease it out or lot's of rev's and slide it out...still makes noise..or do the mod thing to eliminate this problem...
APE or Brock Davidson have kit's and others..hope this helps.
It's an annoying trait....
I believe this is a Lawyer issue so you can't launch..a Busa...
as in overbackwards..The Busa will flip over backwards with just the throttle at sealevel anyway..YEA...as it should be...
AAAssjani.gif

I get that same noise I think on my Busa. It happens most of the time but not all of the time when I downshift coming to a redlight or stop sign. Mine is a 2000 with 4750 miles and has done it since I bought it at 3900 mi. It is definitely something in the tranny making klunkedy klunk sounds in between gears while downshifting.

It almost feels like it is a factory thing that Suzuki installed so it has time to downshift w/ the RPM's so the backwheel doesnt spin while downshifting... Make sense? Anyway I have been ignoring it because it has never gotten worse, but does this sound normal to some of you veteran busa owners?
rock.gif

I get that same noise I think on my Busa.  It happens most of the time but not all of the time when I downshift coming to a redlight or stop sign.  Mine is a 2000 with 4750 miles and has done it since I bought it at 3900 mi.  It is definitely something in the tranny making klunkedy klunk sounds in between gears while downshifting.

It almost feels like it is a factory thing that Suzuki installed so it has time to downshift w/ the RPM's so the backwheel doesnt spin while downshifting... Make sense?  Anyway I have been ignoring it because it has never gotten worse, but does this sound normal to some of you veteran busa owners?
rock.gif
Big klunks in the tranny are far from normal.
Get it looked at while you still have a tranny left.
Sorry let me re-edit........the chattering noise when ya leave a light really hard is normal.....but other than that.......

I guess its not a big klunk but just a quick klunkedy klunk in between gears while downshifting. Let me re-edit my last post too.. hehe What I mean is inbetween gears when slowing down it makes a quick klunkedy klunk sound. But it mainly happens when I hold my foot on the shifter instead of quick downshifting... When I click the shifter down in a quick slap to downshift then it is fine. Maybe it is just the technique...
I guess it is always best to get it checked out by a professional though. Thanks MSF

=

I know the noise of which you speak quazy.......it's probably the rear tire locking up or on the verge and the chain is slapping, or tire jerking a bit......all bikes do this on hard decel.

I had the same problem. From what I read somewhere (can't remember where) the stock busa has a torque limiter in the clutch. Its a two piece clutch thingy. The two pieces hit each other and is what causes the noise. So if you buy the 1 piece billet from APE or Davidson it "should" solve the problem. I won't know until my bike is put together...but when it does happen I'll let ya'll know.

FYI...all parts are in and its time to put my baby back together!! woohoo!! Today is a great day.

HELL O I THOUGHT MY NEW BUSA WITH 800 MILES WAS THE ONLY ONE MAKING THIS NOISE. I GUESS IT IS NORMAL. MY OLE HARLEY THATS 30 YEARS OLD DONT SOUND THIS BAD BUT ON THE OTHER HAND MY OLE HARLEY DONT MAKE 172 HORSEPOWER EITHER GUESS THEIR ARE TRADE OFFS ON EVERY THING

COS
egitarre77.gif
egitarre77.gif

egitarre77.gif

I had the same problem.  From what I read somewhere (can't remember where) the stock busa has a torque limiter in the clutch.  Its a two piece clutch thingy.  The two pieces hit each other and is what causes the noise.  So if you buy the 1 piece billet from APE or Davidson it "should" solve the problem.  I won't know until my bike is put together...but when it does happen I'll let ya'll know.

I read this quote on a website too, maybe this is what you are talking about DF:
Quote:
The clutch also has a torque limiter which delays the full power sent to the rear wheel when taking off from standstill.  It is essential as with 1300cc, because if the response was immediate from standstill...I'm sure you can imagine the consequences.  When changing down to lower gears at high rpm the rear wheels do not lock up either which is fantastic.

Thank you Quazy that is exactly it. I'm going to try that clutch mod and see what happens. I hope the bike is controllable...if I lay it down you know why (had to use a scapegoat).
tounge.gif

Mine must not be working properly then.......Sunday afternoon.....I did a quick 3,2,1 downshift and locked up the rear as I came up to a 4 way stop.....it slid out about 8 inches.
umnik.gif

baaa.gif
I think if you do a search on here in common problems check for clunk I think you find the answer. Mine does it too when I take off from a stop. It sounds like its from the rear and I can feel it in the left foot peg. I think its in the rear wheel hub to limit wheel hop on hard down shifts.3k on mine

baaa.gif
 I think if you do a search on here in common problems check for clunk I think you find the answer. Mine does it too when I take off from a stop. It sounds like its from the rear and I can feel it in the left foot peg. I think its in the rear wheel hub to limit wheel hop on hard down shifts.3k on mine
This really doesn't sound normal. I mean, the torque limiter makes the feedback from the clutch a little strange, but all of my shifts are very smooth, even under hard decel.

I hear a clunk when I don't get into gear all the way (esp. from first to second), or I preload and then fan the clutch, but that's also pretty standard. I'd hate to say it, but:

Get it dealt with under warranty, please.

Thanks for the advices. I will check the chain for unsuspect thighness. I'm reassure to hear mine is not the only one with that strange noise. Torque absorber device in the clutch make sense too to explain the klunk.

Back