Saw the new 04 R1 at the dealership today

NearDeath

Donating Member
Registered
Saw the new R1 today and I have to say at first glace, a few things stood out...

1. Hated the partial plastics on the side, should have went full.

2. Loved the dual exhaust under the tail. (looked sharp)

3. Swing arm looked more setup like a MOTO GP bike. (looked sharp)

4. Seat was not flat, but appeared more ergonomically correct. (looked sharp)

5. Headlights are sweet on the late model R series...

6. Rear tire was visibly exposed more then usual; it wasn't covered or overwelmed by the license plate kit.

7. Price: $10699 without dealing...

I have to say... by appearance the bike looked really good and was a large improvement from last year's bike in the appearance category. I know we have just read a horror story on the new R1 so I am not bosting anything here but appearance, before you get started...

Cloud

I will agree the R1 is probably one of the prettiest bikes since it came out. And the one that blew up may have just been a bad apple, but Yammies have always had quirks with trans/clutches.

Saw the new R1 today and I have to say at first glace, a few things stood out...

6. Rear tire was visibly exposed more then usual; it wasn't covered or overwelmed by the license plate kit.

I have to say... by appearance the bike looked really good and was a large improvement from last year's bike in the appearance category. I know we have just read a horror story on the new R1 so I am not bosting anything here but appearance, before you get started...

Cloud
Oh yeah Cloud9, you forgot one:

8. It's not a Busa!
devil.gif
down.gif
wow.gif
mad.gif

Cloud
Oh yeah Cloud9, you forgot one:

8.  It's not a Busa!  
devil.gif

down.gif

wow.gif

mad.gif
ain't it the truth; I just didn't want to sound like I was starting a thread on how the Busa is better in every way then the R1.
beerchug.gif

p.s. although we know it is...

Cloud

I have to agree that the R1 is a beauty, but I too agree that the 1/2 plastics ruin the appearance (same with the CBR 1000rr -- which looks even worse).  The bike is a nice looker, but I still choose comfort.  Honestly the zx10r is a beaut also and it has full plastics.  I also heard you can run the zx10 up to 105mph in first gear.  I STILL CHOOSE STYLE, COMFORT AND OH YEAH SSSSSSPPPPPPEEEEEEDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!

<!--EDIT|BigDawg_03Busa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080940238 -->

post_6_05764_bigdawg_platinum.jpg

They are not that bad. I just don't like how they sit and am kind of partial to zuks. The undertail exhaust is awesome though.

Right now my heart is with the "best build bike" and that is to date unchallenged, the Busa. Yea, the busa is still the fastest and all that, but more importantly, it will scale for power and speed better any other bike on the market. I know some of you have heard the old saying, "There is no replacement for displacement."
super.gif

These 1000cc bikes have now come close to some of the Busas's quarter mile times and it sounds like with minor adjustments can possibly put them at better quarter mile times then the Busa(stock), but you will never run any of those 1000cc bikes at 250MPH, that is for sure.

is the reduced fairing to cut weight? I love the look of the R1. Still might get one

The Busa is in a league of its own when it comes to looks and feel.. ALL and I mean ALL other sport bikes in my opinion are real jagged edged lookn' and have the same round a' bout sporty & dinky look to them.. You could throw all of the other sport bikes in a parking lot and they would look alot alike together.

The Busa has an organic/alive with a personality look to it with arodynamic/smooth lines. It has a complete different look and feel to it when riding it. ALL other sportbikes including the 12R look and feel like a toy that is not complete, well designed or built... The inner panels that surround the complete and full lookin' gauges gives the Busa a complete feel to it instead of like the others that have a missing gap with a small speedo or small and incomplete lookin' gauge cluster sitting above the handlebars. The extra weight of it gives it the "REAL MANS" bike kinda feel instead of a light and dinky toy that you can go tear up and throw around while doing stunts and hitting twisties.. And all of the plastics/fairing including the nose, cover the Busa well. Am I the only one who feels this way?  
rock.gif

biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|quazy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080982513 -->

The Busa is in a league of its own when it comes to looks and feel.. ALL and I mean ALL other sport bikes in my opinion are real jagged edged lookn' and have the same round a' bout sporty & dinky look to them.. You could throw all of the other sport bikes in a parking lot and they would look alot alike together.

The Busa has an organic/alive with a personality look to it with arodynamic/smooth lines. It has a complete different look and feel to it when riding it. ALL other sportbikes including the 12R look and feel like a toy that is not complete, well designed or built... The inner panels that surround the complete and full lookin' gauges gives the Busa a complete feel to it instead of like the others that have a missing gap with a small speedo or small and incomplete lookin' gauge cluster sitting above the handlebars. The extra weight of it gives it the "REAL MANS" bike kinda feel instead of a light and dinky toy that you can go tear up and throw around while doing stunts and hitting twisties.. And all of the plastics/fairing including the nose, cover the Busa well. Am I the only one who feels this way?  
rock.gif

biggrin.gif
You are def. not the only one that feels that way. One of the final sellers to me over the 12 was the Busa's refined look. As you say, most the other sport bikes are pretty rough around the edges. Although if I remember correctly, the ZX11D was pretty refined in its day and gauges looked good as well. Kawi didn't seem to follow this when they built the 12R. Of course, Kawi has had financial issues for a while and I am sure they have been trying to cut costs where at all possible. Kind of funny though, I think the 12R has a higher list price then the Busa by a few hundred and definetly is very refined in many ways... guess you are just paying for all that raw performance it can deliver... hahaha

Cloud

Those R1's do really look nice. I do like the tank set up, and the exhaust system. It seems to be a little longer this year, but they may just be me. Twisties-yeah, overall, pure power and comfort-Busa. While we all run up on them this summer, just write back to give the boys feedback. R1, ZX10, 1000RR-we will surely be tested. Do us right boys!!!!

<!--EDIT|Pacaveli
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081474795 -->

Back