Savannah's missing H-Bomb

Robot

Donating Member
Registered
National Geographic Channel had a special on last night, it had a similar title to this thread.

Long story short, plane mishap,near Savanna, Ga. dropped a H-Bomb in 1958, and it is still missing, buried in the muddy water somewhere.

U.S. Government spent millions trying to find it, some private individuals are now looking. Official story is NO (nuclear) detonation device attached, but high explosives are.

Debate about salt water corrosion and everntual contamination of the water table stir debate.

I have Physicist friends who have worked with nukes, the technical aspects are fascinating, but the moral implications are humbling to say the least.

Air Force determined......."No risk to public"

There is a Air Force Search and Recovery Assessment PDF attached to the Wikipedia site, looks like search cost was a big concern.

Anyone living in Ga., familiar with this? What is the local opinon/attitude?

Wikipedia Link:

1958 Tybee Island B-47 crash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mk15.jpg

wait till you see the total number of "broken arrows" there have been.. I think it was around 58 ? I saw a show some time ago was this the same one? scary stuff... would have to dig to see how many were recovered..

there is a quote from the movie....

"i don't know what is scarier, that it happens or that it happens so often we have a name for it"

or something like that.

there is a quote from the movie....

"i don't know what is scarier, that it happens or that it happens so often we have a name for it"

or something like that.

Yep, interesting movie, along the lines of "Thunderball" stolen nuke, none stolen "so far".

I watched part of the Nat. Geo. show about that last night too. As big as it is and as much metal as is in it, you'd think it would be pretty easy to pick up on a metal detector.

I watched part of the Nat. Geo. show about that last night too. As big as it is and as much metal as is in it, you'd think it would be pretty easy to pick up on a metal detector.

Maybe someone already DID find it. That would be a conversation piece in the garage!(the ultimate mancave accessory):laugh:

Just dont let the wife run the car into it:laugh:

Disguise it as a hot water heater:whistle:

Mk15.jpg

Last edited:
Now a days home boy and his cousins would head straight for the salvage yard to cash in. :laugh: What's the going price of PU 238 per pound :whistle:

And they'd like us to believe that nuclear radiation can be detected by satellites and earthbound sensors.. ???

And they'd like us to believe that nuclear radiation can be detected by satellites and earthbound sensors.. ???
I was going to say the same thing. They expect us to believe that they can see this stuff with a satellite but they can't find one that they knew where it fell? Or that fact that it's a big hunk of metal...

Back