Sandrail turbo help.

Pitbull2424

Registered
Hello everybody new to this forum good info on this site.
I have been going up and down reading the Turbo forums but Some of the answers get a little confusing.
So I have a 2001-2002 gen1 Hayabusa with a 16 bit ecu That I have made a home made Turbo System For a sand rail buggy. I know my set up may be a little hard to tune due to where the turbo sits which is in the back of the engine and not in front where the header goes. My engine cradle did not allow me to put it in the front.
So I have a tuner telling me that I should convert the 16 bit ECU to a 32 bit ecu so He can flash it. He told me if I do that I could run S 2000 injectors and boost it to 10 psi on e85 and that I would not have to run a intercooler power commander or FMU does this sound right? I already have a welbro 255lp Fuel pump and a1:1 fuel regulator with a return fuel system. I have more questions but I will stick with this one for now any help would be appreciated .

I don’t think s2000 injectors will be able to support e85 at 10 psi with 1:1 regulator. You can can tune it with a newer ecu and not need anything else. But at that kinda of boost pressure and abuse I’m sure it will see I would think a power commander with the map sensor would be key to making it live long. With the power commander you can set it up to add more fuel when it’s hot or cold so you don’t lean it out or burn it down when it’s hot.

if that’s the case can’t I just leave the GEN 1 ecu with the 16 bit buy a 3 bar sensor, power commander, and FMU since I know I need if I use the stock injectors.? And save on doing the 32 bit conversion.? My goal was originally To run 3 to 5 pounds of boost but since I’m not going to be running a innercooler it was suggested to use E85 to keep the combustion chamber temps in the engine down and take advantage of E 85 octane rating two run a little more boost .???

easiest most reliable for gen1 from what I can tell after going thru what I think is every possible combo over the years is.....update to 32 bit electronics, PCV-TPI Bigger injectors (I run ID1000's) and pump, Smith Reflash
and DONE

OK good I really want to stay away from an FMU. Do you think I could use the MPS 60 pound injectors and their ecu tune flash that they have for those injectors?
I already have a welbro 255 lph fuel pump and a 1:1 FPR I only want to run about 5 psi. Keeping it on 91 octane.
It would be nice if there was a form started on Turbo “fuel”set up for a certain psi of boost like 1-5 psi / 5-10/ since it looks like that’s is where I’ll beginners start with I know everybody’s tune will be different but at least this will Eliminate a lot of the fueling questions.??? May be I don’t know.
Gen1
1 how much boost?
2 what fuel pump
3 FMU or 1:1
4 Injector size preferably the ones that fit in stock fuel rail
5 FlashEd ECU with or without power comments
I know this might change with tuners having their preference but this would be of people that have already done a turbo stage 1 To 2ish set up successfully.???

Single level of Boost or multiple?
1 Gen 1 with head never off I would run 8-9 PSI

2 Fuel pump I made 280 with a ,

ACCEL DFI 74701​

then Switched to a Bosch 044
and made the 385 I made 385 with S2000's and a FMU
Fuel pressure was "too high" but she worked
lower boost levels it was RICH RICH

3 FMU works fine but for single boost levels, and higher boost levels can make it very very rich as boost comes up

4 S2000 honda injectors bolt right in and with FMU can handle all the power stock rods and head studs can take

5 ANY turbo not running a stand alone should be flashed AT THE MINIMUM to get rid of the fuel cut limiter

OK so after A couple of more weeks of researching and one more conversation with my tuner It looks like I will be getting a 32 bit ECU conversion to be flash by him and then using a PCV TPI with three bar map sensor for boost reference a welbro 255lp fuel pump with MPS 60# injectors with a 1:1 fuel regulator with 8 psi of boost on E 85 does this seem reasonable? I just think ID 1000 are way overkill for my goals I want to be in the 250hp range Maybe 300hp later on. No FMU to keep fuel pressure low and no intercooler Is the reason why I want to run e85 to keep The engine combustion chamber cooler what do you think?

Last edited:
Well would like to thank 202mphbusa for his post on his turbo fuel set up.
was hoping more would post there set up to help out my self and others.??

Back