Safer Helmet Technology.

bigoltool

Registered
A Helmet is (IMO) the single most important item for a Motorcyclist. I am alive today (or at least in my current state!:laugh:) thanks to a simple Styrofoam bicycle helmet. In addition to Motorcycling, I am a football fan (Go Hawks!:laugh:), and it is impossible to ignore the focus on head trauma in the NFL lately. I look at the football helmets now being employed in relation to the current Motorsports offerings and the tech is seemingly archaic at best. Yesterday I came across an article about the tech being trotted out now and there is remarkably some overlap between the needs of a Motorsports related helmet and a football helmet.

One of the technologies mentioned has been around for several years now, but mostly in off road helmets. 6D helmets use an array of small elastomers to suspend the inner and outer shell. I didn't know they had a street version (ST-1 Street) of this helmet out yet but it looks pretty slick. Anyone heard of, or tried one of them? Kind of Pricey but the days of monolithic molded Styrofoam (technically EPS) helmet liners as a singular means of protection are seemingly numbered.

One of the more novel tech's mentioned is the use of a blood flow restricting collar to instantaneously clamp off a small amount of extra blood to prevent sloshing during an impact. Works for Woodpeckers and billy goats so why not give it a shot! And Vicis is due to announce its new Helmet Design on Monday.

6D Helmets
6d-atr-1-helmet-offers-revolutionary-shock-damping-photo-gallery-52708_1.jpg

REVOLUTIONARY HELMET TECHNOLOGY

Rethinking the Next-Generation Helmet - WSJ

Here's How the NFL Aims to Cut Down on Concussions - Fortune

Last edited by a moderator:
Back