safe tire pressure for street?

B Rad

Registered
+8.5 over, lowered, progressive shock

what is a safe tire pressure for street? want to go as lower for traction but safe. only 1600 miles on 2012 so still on factory bt tires.

Being that it's lowered and stretched and you probably will not be carving corners or dragging knee (depending on your weight/passenger how low) you may be dragging parts.

Safe. The recommended TP(tire pressure) not toilet paper, is 42PSI up front and back. I found that a bit harsh of a ride, & I like the feeling of them a bit softer and feel better planted running 38PSI up front and back. Days that I know we will be leaning a bit further than normal, I'll drop it to 36.

Another factor to consider in determining TP is the size,make/model & hardness of your tire, road conditions and temperature you usually ride in.

Start at 42PSI and work backwards. FYI purchase a quality pressure gage not the $1 ones at the checkout counter and check it often. Lower pressure will accelerate your tire wear.

Generally agree with comments above, but would like to offer one more piece of info. Tires are designed to work at certain temps and underinflation brings too much heat. You might want to measure your tire's temp with a temp gun if you are dropping the pressures. Measuring a track tire, temp should be in the 160 - 180 range. (Much more and you're melting the tire or in better terms getting greasy) You'll be getting max traction but also max usage of the rubber.

For reference only, on a high performance street tire such as a Q2 or a BT-003RS we (Team Gixxer), generally start at 30 PSI cold. Taking a session on the track they come back at around 34 to 35 PSI hot. Measuring temps as stated above. But that is working the tire HARD. You'd be hard pressed to get that much heat in the tire on the streets. You'll probably need to start a bit higher.

What does all that mean...nothing really. Just sharing experience on tires. Use what you will and be careful as you move around the tire pressure. Handling, performance, and longevity are all affected. Good luck.

2BB

With that much extra wheel base, you won't be doing anything but spinning with the crap factory tire. The factory BS are junk anyway and by pushing the tire that far back with no weight over it, just makes it worse. Change the tire to something more performance related and you'll be a lot happier

With that much extra wheel base, you won't be doing anything but spinning with the crap factory tire. The factory BS are junk anyway and by pushing the tire that far back with no weight over it, just makes it worse. Change the tire to something more performance related and you'll be a lot happier

would pilot ones be the best choice?

If you want sticky and don't care about milage, I'd go with a Dunlop Q2 or their new Q3. You'll get TONS of other opinions if you start asking about which tire.

would pilot ones be the best choice?

What is your intended usage of the bike?
You mention traction, are you intending to race or are you spinning the tire while riding the bike "normally"?

SInce this is the dragrace forum, I assume youa re planning to race, in which case, put a tire on it that is suitable for drag racing.
Shinko Hook-up for the most realistic street traction
Stealth U-Soft or Michelin Pilot power 1 (if you can find one) would be the next step lower for street tire traction.

You can go to a true roadracing tire as well, even getting used take-offs from roadracers.

Depends on what you are trying to do with it. If you are just posing with the bike and cruising around, leave the stock tire on so you can do rolling burnouts all of the time. :lol:

What is your intended usage of the bike?
You mention traction, are you intending to race or are you spinning the tire while riding the bike "normally"?

SInce this is the dragrace forum, I assume youa re planning to race, in which case, put a tire on it that is suitable for drag racing.
Shinko Hook-up for the most realistic street traction
Stealth U-Soft or Michelin Pilot power 1 (if you can find one) would be the next step lower for street tire traction.

You can go to a true roadracing tire as well, even getting used take-offs from roadracers.

Depends on what you are trying to do with it. If you are just posing with the bike and cruising around, leave the stock tire on so you can do rolling burnouts all of the time. :lol:

mostly street racing. maybe the drag strip occasionally. the loss of traction now is manageable . just looking for some advice. this is really a great forum. I will look into getting a shinko hook up

+1

No chance you are hooking that junk OEM tire with that setup...

mostly street racing. maybe the drag strip occasionally. the loss of traction now is manageable . just looking for some advice. this is really a great forum. I will look into getting a shinko hook up

I like the Power One but good luck finding one right now. I don't recommend Shinko's,...some people love them but I'll NEVER run one...

^ i swear by those dunlop q2's but you'll burn through them quick @ 38psi. i assume the q3's are similar and your gonna dig 'em. quick heat cycle and traction is superb. :thumbsup:

different tyres are capable of different pressure ranges and it depends heavily on the tyre construction......regular street tyres are best kept above 30 or you risk them rolling off the rim.
The likes of Dunlop GP's can drop to 20 as they are a road legal track tyre with a very rigged sidewall.
Be wary of going too low on the front...Busa's aren't light and will easily push an under-inflated tyre off the rim in tight corners regardless of the tyre.
I ran the GP's on a Bking and front 30fr and 24-26 rear worked nicely but took it easy to warm them up before getting on the power.

I don't know that I recommend it, but on a sticky night at the drag strip, I run 20-24 PSI in the Michelin Power one and then I've gone street riding on it after. I've never pushed it on a corner though at the PSI

Back