Saddle Sore 1000.

GsxrBots

Motorboatin' Moonpies, Gangnam Style
Registered
Who's done one, and what do I need to do to prepare myself?

Am I better doing a loop, or a set destination and back?

Better to leave way early in the morning, or get home way early in the morning?

I'm hoping to do one before my 10 day trip in June. I figure that'll shock my system into shape and probably hope my bike stamina for the trip.

Any input would be appreciated, I know there's several Iron Butt members here. :beerchug:

I'll be checking this post for advise also. I'm planning on making a trip from NY to KY at the end of the month.

Busawhipped and i did a set destination and back, that part worked out really well...the advice i received about that is just pick the easiest, fastest route available for your first 1000 miler

i would advise working your way up to trying this...250 miles, 350 miles, 500 miles, and then go for it...i would not want to just take off for a 1000 miles after a sedentary winter!

pack sparingly, no more than what will fit in a medium or small tank bag...you don't want to have to lift your leg over a luggage bag or rack every time you get on and off the bike...that leg gets very heavy after about 700-800 miles

things to take: spare key, wallet, cell phone, sunglasses, camera, small notebook with pencil, clear and tinted visors for helmet, rain coat (will come in handy in the middle of the night when it gets chilly)

when you ride is a personal preference...just try to miss heavy traffic and make sure there are plenty gas stations available if you travel late at night

:tiptoe:

You're old, shut up...

:rofl:

P.S. You missed your exit...

missedit.jpg

Last edited:
I suggest rubbing your butt on a tree to build calluses. Here is a video of me getting ready to ride 20 miles to the store:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back