sad day for me

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
he didn't die, he just moved on.

There was this guy at my dealership who used to tune race bikes at the track for a number of years. he's been riding/tuning/mechanic for decades. He was the BEST and I could always tell he was the one the tuned my bike when I took it in.

He saw the number on the nose cone, the low lean faring scrape, realized what I was doing and he set me up. tuned the suspension to my weight, added an adjustable cam tensioner thingy, safty wired it, installed the sliders, and ALWAYS did all the little things great machanics do like checking all the bolts and cleaning parts I never see - basically kept my bike in excellent shape. I would ALWAYS demand he be the one to work on it and my stop ins were good money so they treated me like royalty [almost annoying so]. But man, did my bike feel tight and new every time he touched it.

Well, businesses change and he left the dealer joining with a band of local high end QUALITY chopper makers. Which is really kind of a dream come true for him.

I happened by the chopper place today and caught him outside fixing up someone's ride, and asked him what it would take to get him to work on my Hayabusa again. Tween the chopper action and family life, it just wasn't gonna happen. He recommended another place besides the dealer, and I thanked him and went on my way. At least I tried. the cold reality of it finally solidified today. Time to move on.

hats off to the guy for getting where he really wanted to be. AND for putting family first. I'll make do with the dealer's new blood, but it is always sad when certain phases in life come to an end. Having a GREAT mechanic who is dedicated beyond the call of paycheck duty, knows and loves his work, is a phase I wish could have lasted longer.

Sorry to hear, Greg. Good mechanics, especially those who truly take pride in their work, are hard to find. If you don't find quality work, I recommend taking a trip down here to see the Busa Dr, Steve Smithers and his crew - they are top-notch!

zzwhip.gif
PM -->
omslaw @ Jul. 12 2008 said:
1473793[/ATTACH] PM]
Sorry to hear, Greg.  Good mechanics, especially those who truly take pride in their work, are hard to find.  If you don't find quality work, I recommend taking a trip down here to see the Busa Dr, Steve Smithers and his crew - they are top-notch!
May need some work done. Where are the Smithers bunch located in Gardner?

Oh, sorry for your loss WWJD

zzwhip.gif

WWJD, he installed an adjustable CCT in your engine? Why?

zzwhip.gif
PM -->
omslaw @ Jul. 12 2008 said:
1473950[/ATTACH] PM]
Sorry to hear, Greg.  Good mechanics, especially those who truly take pride in their work, are hard to find.  If you don't find quality work, I recommend taking a trip down here to see the Busa Dr, Steve Smithers and his crew - they are top-notch!
May need some work done. Where are the Smithers bunch located in Gardner?

Oh, sorry for your loss WWJD
Smithers is located in Olathe, Ks. Check out their site. They are a site sponsor here.

zzwhip.gif

WWJD,   he installed an adjustable CCT in your engine? Why?
It was a while ago and he felt the stock busa one was inferior for my track days, allowing more adjustability or something like that. I THEENK he explained the new one was a tougher part and allowed adjustment that stayed tighter for my track flogging.  Every time I took it back there - about 3 times a summer while doing track days - he noticed it was lose and thought it would benefit from an upgrade.  If I recall, it is an "APE" ?  not sure if that is the name.  He seemed to always know his stuff and my bike always came back running and sounding perfect so I trust him.  He let me look at the innards while he worked on it and always explained all the stuff he did and showed me. very thrurough and great friendly mechanic!  I loved that

maybe it wasn't adjustable, but tougher?  i forget

sorry, I'm not very mechanical and don't remember the details.  I just ride it  
smile.gif

this might be it
http://www.hayabusazone.com/tensioner.html

Know what you mean, I'm blessed with a very good shop/mechanic just up the street from my house. Been going there for years, never a problem, not one. He owns the shop, loves it, and makes a lot of money at it. Doubtful he'll go anywhere soon, but if he does, I'm screwed. Everywhere else around here is as shady as any stealership horror story you read here on the board.

Back