Sad and Happy all at the same time...

stkr00

Slower Traffic Keep Right ! ! &#
Donating Member
Registered
Well, I guess it's official...I have been bitten by the Track Bug.

I was trying to figure out a way to get a 600cc used track bike so that I could do more track days without risking crashing and tearing up my Busa. As hard as I'm pushing the Busa, it would only be a matter of time before it happened. I've been looking at used bikes that were already race prepped, or close to it. Most were between $3K and $5K. I just don't have that much to spare, and no-one is going to finance a used track bike. Not like I need another payment anyway.

I started talking to the wife about it, and she floored me when she said..."I would rather you just trade-in, or sell the Busa, and get a new 600cc bike for the track than to buy someone elses bike that possibly already has problems and will become a money-pit". I told her that at least with a used bike, it won't be as shocking if/when I crash it, but she wasn't worried about the repair part since we wouldn't claim it on insurance anyway. She said at least this way, I could ride it on the street, and then use a set of race plastics for the track days. Yes...she knows how much the plastics cost.

Now I remember why I married her.
wink.gif
laugh.gif

This brings us to the sad part of the day. I will be getting rid of the Busa in order to get the new bike and start doing more track days. This is not as easy of a decision as it may seem to be for me. This has been floating around in my head since my first track day in April with WWJD. I will definitely miss being able to ride one of the best machines I've ever had the pleasure of riding. The stability and raw power of the Busa will never be matched by anything else I ride. I love the Busa, but right now, I need to follow my heart and do the things in life that I've always wanted to do. One of those things...ever since I was 15 years old (24 years ago)...was to be able to ride on the track dragging my knee around the turns. I've always loved riding in the twisties, and dreamed of racing even if I finish dead last.

Ever since I did my first track day, I just don't look at street riding the same. There are too many obstacles and road hazards on the public roads to be able to FULLY enjoy what the Busa is capable of. On the other hand, on the track, I'm constantly worried about crashing my beloved Busa. The places that I used to ride enjoying the twisties just don't have the excitement that they did before. It's hard to explain these feelings, but I'm sure there are some people on here that will understand what I'm saying.

I'm not getting rid of the Busa because I don't like it. I love the Busa. I'm making this decision because I cannot afford to have both bikes AND do the track days at the same time.

Thanks for allowing me to ramble on for a while
cool.gif

Will I still be welcome if I only have a 600? It will more than likely be a GSX-600R
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|stkr00
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118330941 -->

wink.gif

Its your choice to make, good luck with it.

Your still better off buying used if its a track bike though, your bound to go down sometime....especially since you seem to think your going to be able to "let go" on a 600.

nah,, i have the same thoughts.. haha.. wifey tells me to keep the busa so when she wants to ride we can take it and she'll be comfortable..

I dunno.. few payments left on the 'busa.. I figure i'll keep it indefinatly and buy a used something or other to track day on.. or just keep using the 'busa.. I don't wanna snowball it.. but hell.. i've paid out close to $5,000 in the 4 years i've had the busa and never even had a ticket.. hehe

if I were to trash it on a track I dunno that I wouldn't just omit details as to where the crash happened if they didn't ask..

"Where was the accident"

i was riding in the danville area.. going thru a right hand turn.. and I dunno what happened..

woudln't be lying haha.

I dunno..

Wow....happy and sad for ya too, stkr...

I'd absolutely love to rail the Busa around a track...most people here only have 600s, 750s, 1000s, etc. I guess it's just the mystique factor for me. I can't see myself gettin rid of her...

Follow that dream, though....it sounds like you're really happy at the track, so go for it. You'll be welcome here....you know that.
wink.gif

Now as for a recommendation for a track bike, I would recommend a G1k or (
wow.gif
) a ZX-10. I think after tasting the power of the Busa, the high-revving, low-torque nature of the 600's may not exactly grow on you. If I were to go on the track, the lowest I would go would be a 750...all the handling of a 600 and more power to boot. My weapon of choice would definitely be a G1K...followed by a ZX-10 and then down to a 750.

Then again, I'm sorta a big guy (pushin 3 bills), so I know I'd look funny as heck on a 600. Haha....how interesting. I'll bet I weigh almost as much as a 600 does dry.

But yeah...just my .02, bud. Best of luck either which way you go. And don't forget...you gotta post up the pics!
cool.gif

Follow your heart. If you can't keep the Busa, you can always keep the memories.

If you look around, you can find good deals on track bikes. I finally bought me a GSXR 600 track bike about two months ago. It's a '97 with sharkskin plastics, Fox Shock, revalved forks, steering damper, plus a bunch of spare parts. Price? $1300. It only had about 11,000 miles on it, and it runs great.

I've only done one track day so far, but will do a few more soon.

GSXR_600_2.jpg

Its your choice to make, good luck with it.

Your still better off buying used if its a track bike though, your bound to go down sometime....especially since you seem to think your going to be able to "let go" on a 600.
I wasn't trying to imply that I was going to "let go" on the 600. What I was trying to say is that I have reached my comfort level and limit with the Busa on the track. If I push it much harder, I'll end up wadding it up in a turn.

My goal is to get a bike that is lighter and more nimble so that I can learn to "properly" negotiate the turns and learn how to carry more cornerspeed through them. I am going into this with the intention of building up my track riding skills in a progressive manner versus trying to live through the steep learning curve of the Busa. When I've gotten up to the Advanced level with NESBA and have taken a track school or two, then I'll start looking at getting a larger bike.

If I could afford it, I would keep both bikes.

I'd absolutely love to rail the Busa around a track...most people here only have 600s, 750s, 1000s, etc. I guess it's just the mystique factor for me. I can't see myself gettin rid of her...

Follow that dream, though....it sounds like you're really happy at the track, so go for it. You'll be welcome here....you know that.
wink.gif

wow.gif
) a ZX-10. I think after tasting the power of the Busa, the high-revving, low-torque nature of the 600's may not exactly grow on you. If I were to go on the track, the lowest I would go would be a 750...all the handling of a 600 and more power to boot. My weapon of choice would definitely be a G1K...followed by a ZX-10 and then down to a 750.

Then again, I'm sorta a big guy (pushin 3 bills), so I know I'd look funny as heck on a 600. Haha....how interesting. I'll bet I weigh almost as much as a 600 does dry.

But yeah...just my .02, bud. Best of luck either which way you go. And don't forget...you gotta post up the pics!
cool.gif
Thanks for not exiling me there PAc
laugh.gif

I thought about a larger bike, but with the smaller bikes you have to depend more on cornerspeed than HP on the straights, and that's what I'm wanting to learn.

I don't think it will be too bad. I only weigh about 170, so the 600 should haul me around just fine. I'll just have to get used to not having that low end torque.

If you look around, you can find good deals on track bikes. I finally bought me a GSXR 600 track bike about two months ago. It's a '97 with sharkskin plastics, Fox Shock, revalved forks, steering damper, plus a bunch of spare parts. Price? $1300. It only had about 11,000 miles on it, and it runs great.

I've only done one track day so far, but will do a few more soon.
Nice bike. That thing looks super clean.
beerchug.gif

I wish I could have found a deal like that, but I've been searching for a while with no such luck. I'm sure I'll find a good deal right AFTER I get the new bike.
laugh.gif

wink.gif

wow.gif

cool.gif
Thanks for not exiling me there PAc
laugh.gif

I thought about a larger bike, but with the smaller bikes you have to depend more on cornerspeed than HP on the straights, and that's what I'm wanting to learn.

I don't think it will be too bad.  I only weigh about 170, so the 600 should haul me around just fine.  I'll just have to get used to not having that low end torque.
Aah...of course! If that's the case, then go for it, bro! May I suggest an SV 650 then? I dunno if Rip (Oracle) still has his...you can check him.

And jsut to clarify, when I said "most people here..." I was referring to Guam. Hope people here didn't assume otherwise.

Back to the SV 650....it's a twin, so at least you get some grunt from it. And it sounds like it'll fit your needs just fine. Not too expensive to repair, but good for building track skills.

Best of luck, bro...I wish I could be joining you for the track days.
beerchug.gif
Until then....I will live vicariously through you.
wink.gif

wink.gif

Lots of folks have felt that way and you need to do what works for you. I would like to get to the track one day, and hopefully will, but for now I'm kind of happy.
biggrin.gif

No one is getting any younger. Do what you feel you need to do, while you're young enough to do it. Years click by quick. You can also buy another Busa someday when a) you get racing out of your system and/or b) your finances improve. Only downside I see is, there's bound to be lot's of times you can't get to the track, yet want to ride.

I hear ya bro....I caught that bug too. Sorry to hear that you will be selling the Busa. I bought a second bike for track days, 04 1000 RR, revalved and new springs for the front, Penske 3 way rear, Akro EVO, PC USB, and a custom map.

For tires I run either Pirelli Supercorsa's or Metzler Racetec.

Good luck and ride safe
wink.gif

No one is getting any younger.  Do what you feel you need to do, while you're young enough to do it.  Years click by quick.  You can also buy another Busa someday when a) you get racing out of your system and/or b) your finances improve.  Only downside I see is, there's bound to be lot's of times you can't get to the track, yet want to ride.
That's one more reason I'm looking at a new bike versus a used track only bike. I will still be able to ride it on the street when I'm not at the track. When I want to go to the track, then I'll just put the race plastics on.

I really wish I could have all three bikes, but finances just won't allow it right now.
mad.gif
laugh.gif

Are you wanting to go to the track right now? If not I would suggest waitng until the winter and trying to pick up a track bike then. You will find far better deals when people are thru riding for the season and bikes are sitting in garages. Now is the worst time to buy a bike, everyone's out looking and good deals are pretty scarce. If you think you could hold out til next track season to start racing, I think you could prolly swing a good enough deal to keep the Busa. Just my .02
Hope you stay with us, even if your Busa finds her way to another owner.

I've officially opted out of ever taking to the track...I'm afraid I'll want to do the same, and I can't imagine parting with my Busa...
tounge.gif

But, so many cross this path stkr...I know a lot of guys that opt for that track bike and never look back. If it's what you want, then do it and have a blast!

I just hope you stick around the org 'cause you'd be missed if you bail on us now...
smile.gif

I'll stick around.
wink.gif
I couldn't just bail out like that. It will be wierd posting while knowing I don't have a Busa, but I'll get used to it.

I'll miss the Busa, but while I'm still young enough to do this (39
laugh.gif
) I've got to pursue it. The thought of wrecking the Busa bothers me more than not having the Busa at all. I just couldn't stand to see it all bashed up.

Like I said...if I had the money for both, then I would get a used track bike already prepped for it. This way I'll get to see how each mod/upgrade affects the bike and how my lap times change accordingly. I can afford to do the mods over time, but not to buy a race ready bike all in one shot.

Anybody got about $4000 they want to donate in order to keep the Busa in a good home? Then I'll just buy the track only bike.
biggrin.gif

I like to race my Busa, i enjoy spirited rides up through the Blueridge mountains all around my house, but i like to just cruise it also. The thought of having a race-only bike that you can ride only a handful of times in a year doesn't sound that good to me. Is it worth giving up street riding?

Back