S.C. court tv offduty cop killed over cats

Well, not having been there, I'd say the right decision was made. The kid went on someone else's property with an AR-15 and started shooting his cats. The only other witness was a friend of the guy that was killed, which means he does NOT have an unbiased opinion. Does that mean he's lying? No. But being as there was no unbiased, 3rd party witness, they did the right thing in ruling not guilty.

On the fatal day, Rye had found more dead cats on his property and called 911. Then, hearing gunshots, he grabbed his rifle and ran to where the shots were fired, according to testimony. His intent was to hold the shooter until the deputy arrived.

On encountering Odam at the rear of his property, Rye said, "Put down your gun."

So does this mean that Rye thought that Odam the cop was the one doing the shooting of the cats ? ???
I dont care who you are I see you shooting cats or dogs mine or not your done....

Lastly Cop had Ar15....
Rye had .30 caliber rifle (old guy prolly a Garand)...???
4 times from 10 ft I would think it was a semi-auto.
M1 Garand or Carbine..

Bizarre story and weird how homeowner shoots cop and walks ....
Guess that may be an example that the system works or maybe it doesnt...

sometimes it workes but the homeowner went thru a great expense not to mention 10 mo's in jail.
all this b/c he confronted armed trasspassers who were firing rounds on his property right b4 this went down.

Yes but was the person he thought was an armed trespasser the cop or someone else.
Thats what i dont get.

He heard shots came running only to see the cop holding a warm AR15 or what ?
Spent .223 shells on the ground or what ?
Was the cop some sort of sick KittyKiller or what ?

Um soooooKunfuzed ?

Yes but was the person he thought was an armed trespasser the cop or someone else.
Thats what i dont get.

He heard shots came running only to see the cop holding a warm AR15 or what ?
Spent .223 shells on the ground or what ?
Was the cop some sort of sick KittyKiller or what ?

Um soooooKunfuzed ?

Yes, the guy killing the cats was the cop. And yes, he was using an AR-15 to do so.

"If ya wanna know what's good fer ya,
ya don't monkey around with my" ....puddytats

treasure2.jpg

Did anybody have time to identify themselves as police officers? Was he in uniform or off duty? Sounds like no and off duty; which puts him in same legal situation as any non-police officer on private property apparently shooting a weapon. Because he was a badge is probably why they got the original conviction. The testimony of the witness is critical and would have more credibility if the witness was a badge.

Sad deal for all either way.

On the surface, it sounds like the guy just assumed he was above the law (the young cop) and got his jollies by killing cats. That's pretty disturbing all by itself because someone in his field knows better...

I'd have to say, if someone was shooting at will on my property at my pets, I'd want that right to defend myself and my belongings...

Did anybody have time to identify themselves as police officers? Was he in uniform or off duty? Sounds like no and off duty; which puts him in same legal situation as any non-police officer on private property apparently shooting a weapon. Because he was a badge is probably why they got the original conviction. The testimony of the witness is critical and would have more credibility if the witness was a badge.

Sad deal for all either way.

IMO it doesn't matter if he was a cop or not. Being an officer doesn't give him the right to go on someone else's property and shoot at the man's pets. And being an officer he should have known better. I wouldn't take the witness testimony TOO seriously in this situation. Even it was another badge. Being a friend of the guy, he's going to want some closure for the family and other friends. So the chance that he would say he put the gun down, whether that's true or not, is pretty high. If the witness was another officer, probably even more so. I know there a lot of LEOs out there that would do the responsible thing and tell the truth regardless, but there way too many that wouldn't.

Then you also have the homeowner who is either telling the truth, or just trying to stay out of more prison time. It's a tough call, but being as there was NO completely unbiased witness, in this situation I'd have to rule in favor of the homeowner. Remember, it's still innocent until proven guilty (even though most of the time people look at it as guilty until proven innocent). You can't prove beyond reasonable doubt that he wasn't fearing for his life, so you have to rule not guilty.

It said he was off duty so probably in plain cloths right? Any way even if he/she is in uniform he don't have power over your life or property. You would be a fool to just let one shoot you because of what they are wearing or who they work for. I rather be wrong and alive than right and dead!

Thats what i dont get.

He heard shots came running only to see the cop holding a warm AR15 or what ?YES, and cop was firing at him too, he says
Spent .223 shells on the ground or what ? spent shells all over the property
Was the cop some sort of sick KittyKiller or what ?with 40 rounds of special kittyblaster rounds too

Um soooooKunfuzed ?

got it now?

if someone came on my property and started shooting at my animals, I doubt they'd ever even find his body.

You go onto someone else's posted property with a gun with the intent of killing the man's animals you get what you deserved. Obviously the right outcome, what do you suppose they would have done to the deputy if it had been the other way around? Man spent 11 months in jail for defending his rights, now that is outragious.

That's laughable...

I know right?! Flippin ridiculous. I hate it when the douche bag cops go and do stupid "I'm above the law" stuff and give the good guys a bad name.

And on a side note, thank you to all the good ones who stick your neck out to help keep the rest of us safe. You've got a tough job and then to make it worse you have screwed up guys like this that make a good majority of civilians not fully appreciate what you do. So here's to the good guys on the force. :beerchug:

Back