Rusty Tank Bolt Washers

Trent

Registered
It's not great to look down and see rusty washers on my new bike. What have you guys done? I took one into the hardware store with me but wasnt able to find a suitable replacement. I also found the Sato bar and pins but they dont ship here WTF?

Your in Hawaii and like here the salt content in the humidity of the air is probably high.
If your bike is outside it will corrode not rust quicker than others. Spray it daily with fresh water and ride dry if possible. Or if you can't get some Teflon spray or some 'tackle' spray for fishing reels and give them a zap.
It may help.

Dealership... Those washers are like $1

Yeah but if they rust over in month or two that isnt going to work. I may have taken off some protective coating when I polished them I guess a couple of bucks wont break the bank, I thought maybe someone had a nice source for anodized replacements.

Yeah but if they rust over in month or two that isnt going to work. I may have taken off some protective coating when I polished them I guess a couple of bucks wont break the bank, I thought maybe someone had a nice source for anodized replacements.

Get Stainless, problem solved

If you are talkin about the two bolts at the top of the tank then you can get the same bolts and washers from Bike Bandit...i had the same problem...They are the same type..

F-it I checked with Sato again and they will ship to me so I am going to go the bling route.

Well, I'm glad you got it squared away. Now about that garage :whistle:
Whats wrong with the garage? Sure its been cleaner but its still doing its job!
Back to the bling.
Got the Sato Racing Tank Kit, they have some nice looking stuff in the brochure that comes with an order.

Here is the before and after, I am pleased. The tank now sits a smidge higher in the front than before (maybe 1/16). I am hopeful that it will assist with venting heat!

IMG_6374.jpg

IMG_6380.jpg

IMG_6375.jpg

IMG_6384.jpg

IMG_6383.jpg

IMG_6382.jpg

IMG_6373.jpg

Oh I like those pins!
See, rusty washers were a blessing in disguise.

I'm starting to wonder if you didn't sand them down and let em rust so you could convince the wife it's money we'll spent :laugh:

Oh I like those pins!
See, rusty washers were a blessing in disguise.

I'm starting to wonder if you didn't sand them down and let em rust so you could convince the wife it's money we'll spent :laugh:

You know they never looked right even the day I brought home the bike. So I put them in a lathe and used a brass brush to shine em up. Then they started rusting a couple of weeks later. I am glad too. The new bar looks pretty trick because it also hides the tank tab adn the gold accent matches what I have going on there. As for my wife....I dont ask about her shoes and she doesnt ask about my hobbies. Thats our "arrangement" ;-)

Back