RUSTY Fuel Pump!! This is bad

T-Rav

Registered
Okay Org Family,
I took the filter apart to try to salvage it and the tank. I'll let the pictures speak for me.:banghead:

100_7098.JPG

100_7099.JPG

100_7100.JPG

100_7101.JPG

100_7102.JPG

No that is not good,, how does your tank look?

WOW dude.

That is lots of loads of bad gas for a long time.
That isn't from a little water in the gas.
If you buy your gas form one place they are watering it.
I would show them and call them on it.
I'm surprised your bike even ran.

The bottom of the pump was literally 1/3 full of rust. As you can see the filter is almost non-existant. All the brownish gold in the bottom of the blue bucket is all rust. As you can all see I'm in need of a fuel pump. It's an 04 BUSA. Webbash has a guy that's going to help me with the tank to get it back to new. Anyone that can assist please let me know.

ebay is a good place to find a pump and/or tank.
I got one there and it was way cheaper than I thought it would be.

WOW dude.

That is lots of loads of bad gas for a long time.
That isn't from a little water in the gas.
If you buy your gas form one place they are watering it.
I would show them and call them on it.
I'm surprised your bike even ran.
It wasn't bad gas. The bike was parked four yrs before I bought it and it sat without a full tank for the whole time. Lesson to be learned: "When you buy a used vehicle, espicially a motorcycle, PURCHASE THE EXTENDED/ADDITIONAL WARRENTY THEY OFFER!"

I've got a good pump, with only 3000 miles on it! Its mint!
Ill sell it for $100 shipped!

Yep good deal on pump...

and unless you pull the rest of the fuel system and at least check it, I fear more headaches....

That's a lot of hot-cold-condensation = rust.... repeat.

I'd take the pump offer.

Dayum, was the bike at the bottom of the lake.
Posted via Mobile Device
pretty normal for a stored vehicle... I did full restorations in Arizona at my shop and this was old hat... what made them worse was the home brew guys that would gas up the vehicle and try to run it.. not so bad on the carb'ed motors but the FI vehicles it was the kiss of death.. IF they started, the iron oxide dust destroys the injectors at about $125 a pop..

fuel rails, lines and pressure regulators need thoroughly cleaned prior to start up.. (any thing that touches the fuel)...

That's quite nasty! A good deal on the other pump though.

pretty normal for a stored vehicle... I did full restorations in Arizona at my shop and this was old hat... what made them worse was the home brew guys that would gas up the vehicle and try to run it.. not so bad on the carb'ed motors but the FI vehicles it was the kiss of death.. IF they started, the iron oxide dust destroys the injectors at about $125 a pop..

fuel rails, lines and pressure regulators need thoroughly cleaned prior to start up.. (any thing that touches the fuel)...

Thats good to know, I wouldn't let my bike sit that long but during the cold season when I don't ride as much.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thats good to know, I wouldn't let my bike sit that long but during the cold season when I don't ride as much.
Posted via Mobile Device
key to long term storage is "FILL IT UP" and add "Stabil"

the enemy is air.. no air in tank, no oxygen and no moisture.. you may end up dumping the fuel in the end but 5-20 gallons of fuel is cheaper than tanks, pumps etc..

key to long term storage is "FILL IT UP" and add "Stabil"

the enemy is air.. no air in tank, no oxygen and no moisture.. you may end up dumping the fuel in the end but 5-20 gallons of fuel is cheaper than tanks, pumps etc..

Good point!
Posted via Mobile Device

personally....I wouldn't try refurbing the tank...dump it and find another non rusted model..same with the pump...

Get a catch pan (little metal ones from dollar stores work)...pull your throttle bodies off the boots...sit them in the pan once everything it hooked up. and cycle your fuel system a dozen times. With the tb's pulled it won't start but it will spray fuel into the pan...

you want a good indication the fuel coming through is clean. If you are truly anal...you can send the injectors to be cleaned and balanced.

Back