RUNS LIKE **** ;)

jthevwman

Registered
I bought the bike thinking it has a vacume problem. I checked all the lines they are good.

The bike runs like **** when cold, wont rev up and dies untill it gets warm..

Then it has flat spots all through the RPM's even when hot. You have to fan the clutch to get it to go. wont pull the tire off the groundat all
loss of power. Will rev up ok if you go slow on the throttle the a puff of black smoke.. It makes a shound like it need air if you hit the throttle hard and fast ...

HELP

Sounds like a fuel delivery or airflow problem. I'm no mechanic, though. Someone in here can help you, I'm sure.

--Wag--

fuel filter / pump problem
if it has a powercomander disconect it , and take it for a ride without it ,see if it gets better ?

how many miles? what year busa ?

(johnstein @ Sep. 19 2006,17:47) fuel filter / pump problem
if it has a powercomander disconect it , and take it for a ride without it ,see if it gets better ?

how many miles? what year busa ?

Al
All stock

no PC

11 K miles

2002 year

Maybe a bad map or code ,diconnect the battery completely and let sit for couple of min. then reconnect ,set clock & reset trip odd. this should have wiped any bad codes out of the pc map also . load the zero map but before you load the map in the power commander software click on the power commander tab and then reset button values ,say (yes). this wipes out any map settings and button settings that may be still loaded , then install map

(jthevwman @ Sep. 19 2006,18:38)
(azza266 @ Sep. 19 2006,18:13) Is the FI light on? Any trouble codes stored?
No FI light on how do i pull codes?
If you haven't already downloaded a copy, get the service manual by going here.
The section on FI and Intake System 1 will show you how to view the trouble codes. Instead of the toggle switch they show, just use a paperclip to jumper the connector.

(Busa Bill @ Sep. 19 2006,18:58) Maybe a bad map or code ,diconnect the battery completely and let sit for couple of min. then reconnect ,set clock & reset trip odd. this should have wiped any bad codes out of the pc map also . load the zero map but before you load the map in the power commander software click on the power commander tab and then reset button values ,say (yes). this wipes out any map settings and button settings that may be still loaded , then install map
I tryed the batt trick it runs the same . I dont have a PC so will this work for clearing the stock codes???

How old is the gas that's in the fuel tank?

Does the engine crank over unusually fast or easy? (A sign of low cylinder compression)

Is the battery fully charged and producing at least 12.6 volts or more after being charged?

Try running a strong concentration of fuel injection cleaner through the tank with fresh fuel and see if that alters its performance.

You may need to check a number of things.

1. I would open the air box and observe whether or not the flapper is opening.

2. You may need to remove the air box to observe that all 4 throttle butterflies are opening and at the same time.

3. Make certain all spark plug caps are fully connected. Pull one or more plugs and examine their gap and condition.

4. If all looks good there, you may need to perform a compression check.

(Quasar @ Sep. 20 2006,19:35) How old is the gas that's in the fuel tank?

Does the engine crank over unusually fast or easy? (A sign of low cylinder compression)

Is the battery fully charged and producing at least 12.6 volts or more after being charged?

Try running a strong concentration of fuel injection cleaner through the tank with fresh fuel and see if that alters its performance.

You may need to check a number of things.

2. You may need to remove the air box to observe that all 4 throttle butterflies are opening and at the same time.

3. Make certain all spark plug caps are fully connected. Pull one or more plugs and examine their gap and condition.

Done it is checked out good

Done checked out good.

Working on this

Don't think this is it but
rock.gif

I think the batt may be going bad ?? My friend ran his with a bad batt and it ran fine ?? could this do any thing to the bike to make it run bad ??

I'm fairly new to the busa, but has anyone been working on the problem on the bike before you got it. The symtoms are a lot like a timing problem...has the timing chain tensioner been adjusted or is it working ...just incase the timing chain has jumped a tooth or two on the camshafts. Personally i wouldn't ride the bike until this is sorted or at least ensure the timing chain side of things is ok....its megga money if you break these engines internals. You didn't say if its like this in every gear...just incase the ECU is getting bad signals from the gear position sensor and thinks your in a different gear than you are and is giving the wrong fuel/timing settings to the engine.
These are just my thoughts but i'm sure others in here with more knowledge could help you out.

(Telboy2000 @ Sep. 21 2006,02:07) I'm fairly new to the busa, but has anyone been working on the problem on the bike before you got it. The symtoms are a lot like a timing problem...has the timing chain tensioner been adjusted or is it working ...just incase the timing chain has jumped a tooth or two on the camshafts. Personally i wouldn't ride the bike until this is sorted or at least ensure the timing chain side of things is ok....its megga money if you break these engines internals. You didn't say if its like this in every gear...just incase the ECU is getting bad signals from the gear position sensor and thinks your in a different gear than you are and is giving the wrong fuel/timing settings to the engine.
These are just my thoughts but i'm sure others in here with more knowledge could help you out.
Have not checked the timing.. It does do this in every gear. It runs better not right but better when it gets hot.. when it gets up to running temp it runs a little better . when you take off in first gear it wants to die the you have to fan the clutch to get it to go..

Have you removed the airbox? There is a small vacuum line on the back of the airbox that I missed when putting mine back on, and in ran just like you described.

firedevil.gif
found rust in the tank . A lot of rust in rear lower part of the tank. So i think the fule pump is shot. Any fixes on the rust in the tank? Ideas?
rock.gif
?

New to the forum but not to motorcycling. Been riding for 14 years and this is my first round with a busa. I just bought a 99 model and it does the same thing. I am pretty mechanically inclined and have done the previous tests but no answers found. Mine does the same thing. Idles rough until the bike warms up then it is fine. Skips like a plug is bad and clears up after it warms up. Hope someone help me and this guy out.

Back