Running lean

BusaFbaby

Registered
hey orgsters. i have a question. is there any disadvantages to running lean (other than the obvious power loss) Does it harm the engine at all or anything like that. i ask because this is something i might consider doing for long trips to save more on gas or something like that. i have the pcIII so it is easy for me to adjust on the fly. i did this on my latest trip and noticed better gas mileage. any thoughts?

I'm not an expert but the experts have always stated this as a bad thing. You'll burn a hole in your piston :laugh:

Like DO3 said...too lean is a bad thing. what set up are you running are did you bring your UBS cable with you? Maybe we can download you a different map tonight.

i got the proper map from brock's already. i was a bit rich at first with the right map but i think part of that was because my airfilter was dirty and not getting enough air in it. i will change that today too and see if that makes a difference. i have had the pcIII set low but really have not noticed the better mileage until i cleaned the stock air filter a little. i did it by taking my vacuum and the small attatchment and vacumming the filter a bit which did remove some dust and dirt so that could be the cause of the better mileage. my whole problem was that i was originally getting 29mpg on the highway with stock gearing and the proper map !!!!!!

I haven’t had a PC in a while but if I remember correctly the amount you are actually adjusting within your map is very minimal. Even if you set it as lean as it would go it should not be lean enough to damage your valves or pistons unless you had a map that was already too lean.

the map already loaded was the correct map for the setup i had. it musta just been dirty air filter then because that is the only thing that made a difference in mpg performace out of everything i have done so far. and it was a big difference too. i probably got at least 40 mpg coming up here this time as apposed to 29 before.

running lean is about the worst thing you can do to an engine. You know how you always hear guys crying about "nitrous will blow your engine up". well #1 it doesnt blow your engine up it melts stuff. usually a hole in a piston

B. guess how it melts it? running lean.

if its a "canned" tune its not right. bike needs to be dyno tuned for your mods @ your sea level with your weather conditions(humidity, amb air temp etc.) using a air/fuel meter.

pull your plugs and see what they look like. if they are tan(ish) color = good, white(ish) = lean, black(ish) = rich, tip missing = engine damage about to occour. keep in mind that crusing and wide open throttle are diffenent.

Lean=HEAT, detonation, BAD.
Fat=power loss, piston wash, fowled plugs, etc.
Essentially, is your motor worth more 2 u than $10 a week?

Running an engine lean is a bad idea. Period. Doing it to save money on fuel would be like deciding to never change your oil again to save money. You will save on the oil, but the new engine will cost you a lot more than that oil. There is a reason that engines are set to 14.7:1 A/F ratio. This gives you exactly the right amount of fuel to mix with the air entering the engine to give a complete burn. Any less or any more is a bad thing, generally speaking.

Actually lean will make good power to a point then will start destructing.Too rich can do the same.Rich will foul plugs,wipe out bearings and make it run like ass.Best bet is to have it dyno tuned and yes even a stock no mods busa should be tuned.

Good to know. The only thing I did was mess.with the faceplate button on the pcIII so I've been told it doesn't change.much anyway

I put around 200 miles on my busa Sunda. I am now just over 1000 miles on my 2012 busa and I have been getting around 40 mpg since I picked rode it home. I think I like the stock set up now. haha. New top speed for me on it is 160. Man did it get there easy and hold it with no problem, and still got average of 40mpg. :laugh:

I'm thinking that if you were running with a dirty AF then you wouldn't be running lean you would be running rich...:whistle:
That being said, there is no excuse to have a dirty AF unless your just plain lazy. Your girl deserves better than that...

Top fuel engine builders say lean is mean, BUT they rebuild the motor every 1000 feet!:poke:

I remember a show I watched a while back on top fuel dragsters...they said it cost them $6000 each run down the track because they tear it down and replace the engine components every run.

It's nice to be able to go fast, but to me ((unless that's your job with income/winnings)) that would take too much of the fun out of racing

I'm thinking that if you were running with a dirty AF then you wouldn't be running lean you would be running rich...:whistle:
That being said, there is no excuse to have a dirty AF unless your just plain lazy. Your girl deserves better than that...
well it was rich at first which is what i already posted. then i changed the map via the faceplate buttons (which apparently doesnt do much) but it wasnt rich anymore. i just bought the bike and have not had the chance to do check everything yet. my bike is getting, and now has what it needs

Back