Running hot.

Engine Ice period...........
biggrin.gif

Two seasons, 20+ ,100 degree days and no problems

Isn't engine ice dave a sponser of the site . I remember going toe to toe with him about his product . I ruffled his feathers pretty good . I was just after better info,data sheets,etc.
I was out to see if he was just another charmer with a truck load of snake oil , to try an' dump off my brothers an' sisters.

I think him and his product turned out to be ok .

Should ask the Cap if he's still around as a sponser.

Have a cool 1.....RSD.

I live in florida, not far from Daytona and I usually don't have any problems except for bikeweek and biketoberfest. I have never actually timed it but it will overheat in that traffic if I let it.
So I installed a muzzy and it didn't help. Next was engine ice and it didn't help either. It didn't get any hotter, but no cooler either. Next I installed a second fan on a switch. This past bikeweek I left it on at all times when in traffic. It got hotter than I wanted it too, but it didn't overheat, but I still have that feeling that given another 10 or 15 minutes it would have (not sure though). Oh yeah, I've got watter wetter in it now. That could've been helping a little also when I was in daytona.
BTW, I have HMF dual high mounts.

Hey guys,

I was out of town yesterday and I haven't had a chance to try what Ninja Eater suggested. I plan on working on it today when I get off work. I will keep you posted as to how it is going.

Ninja Eater,

If the fan comes on could the problem also be the switch that is mounted on the top left of the radiator?

Thanks guys.

Is the switch mounted on the top left of the radiator?
Take the connect off from the fan
Hold the connection in your left hand
Take a paper clip and hold across both contacts while the bike is on running.  If fan is working it wil come on.
If it comes on then it is your thermostat
If it does not come on check your connections to the fan.

The fan should be coming on with the Temp gauge 1/32 above the mid line
what happens if he holds it in his right hand?  hehehehe

trust the guy with the green bike to have an easy-fix answer.
             Hey Mike , you ever get sick of bein' right all the time .  I guess you do....thats why you suggested the left hand.

have an ambidextrous one.......RSD.
Well if you hold it in your right hand watch your fingers....

Trust me I am wrong enough to fill a book, but thanks for the compliment..

I did the test that Ninja Eater suggested and the fan was running with no problems. I ordered a new switch today at the local shop. Thanks everyone for all the help.

Dave has been a member of the site and promoted Engine ice on the site. I was already using it before he mentioned he owned it.

You can get it at most bike shops!

Dave who? Dave hook a brother up with a free bottle. (Always trying to get something free, right? SO WHAT!!! ) Hook me up DAVE!!
laugh.gif
just kidding....... unless your gonna do it!!

I never had a problem until Daytona bikeweek this year. I was also thinking switch but now back home it turns off and on just past midpoint. I put a manual fan switch on so if it happens again I can just switch on fan. Switch cost $3 at autozone and took about 30 minutes to put on.

Back