Running hot.

G_man

Registered
I am having a problem with the Busa running hot when I am not moving. I replaced the stock fan with a Muzzy fan and I noticed that the fan never turns on. Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what might be the problem?

I am having a problem with the Busa running hot when I am not moving. I replaced the stock fan with a Muzzy fan and I noticed that the fan never turns on.  Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what might be the problem?
you may have a wiring prob dude . If yer down in 'Bama , that should be warm enuff for it to come on .
Sitting at idle , when the temp guage gets to about half,the fan should come on .
Test the fan first , just give it power straight from a 12 volt source. If it comes on , then move to the next componant,the switch(sort of a switch) which controls the fan, the thermostat . With bike hot(past the mid point on temp guage) see if the switch is sending juice to the fan.If it is move on . Everything is grounded properly , there's nothing open anywhere? Should have mention that first .

test those couple things first , then get back to us .

hav a cool 1......RSD.

Make sure that the coolant gage is reading at least half way before you assume that the fan is not working. It is not supossed to come on until it reaches a certain temp (about halfway on the gage or a little higher).

Most Busa's run hot very quickly if not moving especially after a long ride and then stopping in traffic. Just a quirk of the Busa. Actually after I switched to Amsoil syn mine stopped doing it altogether but before that it hapenned often and it had nothing to do with the fan.

Also know that a Muzzy fan does not really increase cooling all that much, it is just that it is aluminum and not plastic. The plastic stock fan tends to have the edges worn by foreign objects and crud (compounded by high temps makeing it soft and more suceptible to damage), thereby decreasing cooling due to blade deformation and loss of surface area. The muzzy fan is heavy duty by virtue of the material. Only larger blades and/or a more powerful motor would noticeably increase the cooling effect.

hey if yer in there pokin' around G-man....give some thought to header tape . it'll keep ya cooler .

RSD.

EAKbusa,

The temp gauge went almost to the red and the fan never came on. While I was changing the stock fan out I also changed the oil and replace it with Amsoil.

rubbersidedown,

Thanks for the info. I will give the header tape some thought.

EAKbusa,

The temp gauge went almost to the red and the fan never came on.  While I was changing the stock fan out I also changed the oil and replace it with Amsoil.

rubbersidedown,

Thanks for the info.  I will give the header tape some thought.
Cool (no pun intended).

Sounds definately like there is an electrical problem.

Did the Muzzy fan ever work? I just wonder if it is in a bind and cannot come on for some reason. Just another simple thing to check if you have not already.

Header tape helps alot also but looks like crap IMHO and not totally necessary. But then again anything that makes the bike run cooler is a plus I supose.

Good luck!

hrmmm..I'l stick with the electrical probs on this one. Fingers are startin ta point towards the thermo.....

Engine ice is very nice. I just installed it on my bike. I haven't had a chance to really ride her extremely long distances. But the gauge has not creeped up at all.
cool.gif

hrmm...mebbe I'll look into that stuff. Days can get pretty hot and humid here.

Thanks guys.

Is the switch mounted on the top left of the radiator?
Take the connect off from the fan
Hold the connection in your left hand
Take a paper clip and hold across both contacts while the bike is on running. If fan is working it wil come on.
If it comes on then it is your thermostat
If it does not come on check your connections to the fan.

The fan should be coming on with the Temp gauge 1/32 above the mid line

Thanks guys.

Is the switch mounted on the top left of the radiator?
Take the connect off from the fan
Hold the connection in your left hand
Take a paper clip and hold across both contacts while the bike is on running.  If fan is working it wil come on.
If it comes on then it is your thermostat
If it does not come on check your connections to the fan.

The fan should be coming on with the Temp gauge 1/32 above the mid line
what happens if he holds it in his right hand? hehehehe

trust the guy with the green bike to have an easy-fix answer.
Hey Mike , you ever get sick of bein' right all the time . I guess you do....thats why you suggested the left hand.

have an ambidextrous one.......RSD.

Back