Running Hot

Htown Busa

Registered
I went for a short ride yesterday, about 40 miles. I had just done the Pair Reed Valve Mod and wanted to see if the popping from my Voodoo shorties had been fixed. When I got back home, I noticed that the bike was running hot, very hot. Is it possible I could have hit something while doing the mod that would make the bike run hot? The bike is a 2008 with 2000 miles. Also, if I take it to the dealership, should I undo the mod?

Any Suggestions?

is the fan cycling? or did it boil over? can you hear it trying to boil? (could just be a gauge issue)

Not a gauge issue. It actually boiled over. I was wearing ear plugs so I not sure if the fan was cycling. I was not stuck in traffic. I am going to take it to the dealership tomorrow but wanted to know what could be the problem. I don't know much about working on bikes but I thought maybe the thermostat wasn't triggering the fan to come on. But still, even without the fan, should it have been air cooled enough to prevent boil over?

if you were running down the road, yes that should have prevented any heating issues, however, it does not take long at all slowed down before a fan issue is going to be a disaster...

if it heats up going down the road (20 mph+) then you likely have another issue.. (thermostat etc)...

DO NOT let that thing boil over... if you gotta trailer the bike, do it... just not worth the trouble and expense of over heating a head...

I would think about the only thing he could have done is either knock the sensor wire off or knocked the fan connector loose.. first vote is sensor wire..

Just got back from the dealer. They could not find anything wrong with the bike. The bike did not run hot on the way up or back from the dealership. I have another problem though. My clutch cover is leaking oil. It is not leaking from the gasket but from the see thru glass. Bummer.

Just got back from the dealer. They could not find anything wrong with the bike. The bike did not run hot on the way up or back from the dealership. I have another problem though. My clutch cover is leaking oil. It is not leaking from the gasket but from the see thru glass. Bummer.
pull it off, completely disassemble and clean with brake cleaner.. old sealer and oil gotta go..

Re-assemble using one of the "Ultra" silicones... do not use regular silicone gasket sealer, it will decompose.. The "Ultra" uses an ammonia base of some kind that is impervious to oil..

wipe excess off while still wet and allow to set for 24 hours before re-installing on bike..

not telling on overheat issue, but keep alert for an instant replay...

Last edited:
pull it off, completely disassemble and clean with brake cleaner.. old sealer and oil gotta go..

Re-assemble using one of the "Ultra" silicones... do not use regular silicone gasket sealer, it will decompose.. The "Ultra" uses an ammonia base of some kind that is impervious to oil..

wipe excess off while still wet and allow to set for 24 hours before re-installing on bike..

not telling on overheat issue, but keep alert for an instant replay...

Thanks again for all the good advice.

Back