Run your two-stroke in reverse?

Robot

Donating Member
Registered
Back in Jr. High my buddy had a 2-stroke lawn mower, that he could get to run backward. Obviously, many 2-strokes have no problem running one direction or the other.

After watching his lawn mower we tried pushing my 1976 Kawasaki KD-100 backward down a hill, we tried for an hour and could not get it to jump start in reverse. I'm sure by Kawasaki's design.

The larger motorcycle engine didnt want to run "backward", do you think this was prevented by electrical or mechanical mechanism?

Any stories of "backward" running motorcycles??

I ve seen tractors run backwards at tractor pulls after they run out of power and the clutch is pushed in they can kick back and run backwards pumping oil out everywhere.

The lead shop mechanic at the dealership I used to work for told stories of being able to do that to his old 2 stroke bikes so its probably possible, but I have never personally seen it done. I guess if you were just behind top dead center when you kicked it over, it could cycle the other way?

Yep, I have seen it being done. A friend of mine had a Yezdi 250cc (Czech bike), that on occasion, when shifted to first gear would go in reverse. Its the funniest thing when you expect to go forward in first gear but end up going in reverse :laugh:

Something about the crank turning in reverse direction if you get the piston to a particular position before kick starting it.

img-roadking.jpg

This bike has the gear shifter on the kick start mechanism

All two strokes have the ability to run in reverse the reason some will or wont is strictly a timing issue. the closer the timing is to top dead center the easier it is to get it to start in reverse.

If you look at many new two stroke snowmobiles such as my Ski Doo 800 rev they are set up to run in reverse when you want to back them up. All I have to do is hit the button and the motor shuts down and just as it is about to stop the computer changes the timing and it refires in reverse this eliminates the need for reverse gearing in the chaincase meaning less weight.

Oh and there is nothing cooler than being able to shoot a rooster tail of snow out the front of the sled!:thumbsup:

Back