Run in with a guy on harley yesterday!

Fate

Donating Member
Registered
Well. I had just started approaching a red light and did my normal "look behind" to make sure no cagers were not paying attention and ready to rear end me and it was clear. All of a sudden out of no where a Harley pulls up in my lane right next to me. Caught me off guard a little. He was looking my bike up and down. I lifted my bug shield. He Says " That is one Fu**** Bad A** Bike" I looked at him and said thanks. He then says "That is the only bike I would own other than a Harley" I told him it was the only bike for me. And we rode off, was just kind of cool. Most of the guys on Harleys around here give me crap, and it was just kind of nice to see a guy the was not a jerk on Harley. I was at a mexican restaurant/bar a few days ago and this guy at the bar was sitting there and a guy comes in that just rode up on a 03 cbr 600 rr. I was near the window and he pulled up next to me and my buddys bikes. When he walked in I said to him, nice bike. He complimented ours. The Harley guy, of course had to give his 2cents. The guy sat at the bar near the Harley guy. I over heard them talking about bikes and then heard him talking about my Busa. He said something about his Harley being more reliable transportation and that he could beat any crotch rocket. I did not say anything but my buddy starts laughing as loud as he could. The guy looks over at us. He says. I could beat you on a scooter let along my 600 and my buddy has a Busa so what the hell are you talking about. He then says the horse power difference of his Harley vs. a sports bike is incredible. I told him, yeah incredibly weak.... He said All bikes are about the same until you get up at top speed. I laughed and decided this was to funny but that I was not going to argue with the idiot. He then started giving some advice to the guy on the CBR and mentioned something about liking to drive at high speeds. He said yeah I have had my bike to 100 a few times. Then the guy with the CBR starts laughing and so does my friend. My friend goes Yeah I like to go 100 too. He delayed for a minute and then says in 2nd.... The guy with the cbr says that dudes bike will do it in 1st.... The Harley guy looks at me and asks what size engine is in that thing. I told him a 1300 and no it will not go 100 in 1st. but close. And I finally had to say something about his comment about bikes being the ame at lower speeds too. I said just for your information. By the time you hit 60 mph I guarantee I would be hitting atleast 170 mph. He then asked what kind of Hp I have. I told him around 160. He then says is that like a in line 6 or something. I was about done with the conversation by then.... what an idiot......

i have found that the ones that give me a hard time are the ones that don't know anything except "i drive a harley, uuhhh"...the ones that truly know bikes usually say something about the 'Busa being a great bike

I have gotten more compliments from the Harley bunch than others. I do tend to hang out with alot of Harley guys though. I love them too but like performance more. Actually I am looking for a frame to builde my own cruiser so I can have both.

Harley has done much to itself over the last 5 to 10 years. There bigest deal is PR. They hype the bike, the sound the style. They are better at PR than all the other bike company's combined! They will teach you to ride then rent you any of their bikes any time. So its no wonder that a lot of these "new Harley" riders think their bike is faster and/or better! I work with two of these guys myself. You should have seen their mouths the first time we rode together, I even let them go first and start the race! This one guy I work with still tries to convince me his carberator is beter than fuel injection! AND that his Fatboy is so powerful his rear tire "breaks loose" when ever he gits down on it!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I have both. A Harley and a Busa. I like both but the Busa is more fun.

Sounds like this person that you were talking to is riding his first bike. I bought my first Harley back in 1996 and even though I loved it, I was disappointed with the power. Now I had owned a Suzuki GS1100E, and a Kaw 900 prior so there was a dramatic drop in HP. But compared to a car, the Harley was super quick. That is what most Harley owners are comparing their bikes with. Keep in mind that the average Harley owner is in their late 30s and has a median income of $75,000.00 per year. A lot of these guys are newly divorced and on the prowl and think (correctly) that the Harley will help them score chicks. I see a whole lot more Harleys or bikes that look like Harleys on the road than I do Sportbikes. And Fast is right about Harley and their marketing campaign. Look at that TV add they do where guys are taking their dates to the door to say goodnite! Then they show the Harley and the line of clothes leading to the front door! Hmmm? Buy a Harley and I get the chicks to get naked? Now that is marketing! Also, this guy was at a bar already when you came in. How much had he been drinking? New Harley owners think that they are supposed to turn their noses up at Jap bikes. They are not much different than little kids who need to grow up a little before they learn what the real world is like. There was a guy in the group that I rode my 96 FatBoy with that didn't want us to invite people who rode anything but a Harley to go on rides with us. This guy even got a little upset with me for wearing a helmet. Just trying to point out that there are people like that everywhere.

Oh and he said his tire on his FatBoy "breaks" loose. You sure he didn't mean "brakes" loose? Mine would lock up real easy when I hit the "brakes" on it!

<!--EDIT|Shanling
Reason for Edit: "After thoughts"|1156527970 -->

Most of the HD folk i see looking at my bike seem to have that "I would kill myself bigtime on that thing" look in their eyes.
Then they ask what the HP rating is and the "look" comes back. It makes me laugh to myself.

Most of the HD folk i see looking at my bike seem to have that "I would kill myself bigtime on that thing" look in their eyes.
Then they ask what the HP rating is and the "look" comes back.  It makes me laugh to myself.
Most of the HD folk look at my bike then at my girlfriend, then me, then the girlfriend, then the bike again. I think they realize that the bike got the girl and I just happened to be the guy that got the bike...hehehe

Yeah,I too have owned both. My previous bike to the busa was a 2001 Softail deuce. It was a nice bike and I really like the styling. The problem was everytime I walked by it in the garage I kept seeing $$$ signs. Bottom line to me personally is that the harleys are nice bikes and mine never gave me any trouble, the negative side is that there highly overpriced and you are buying the "hype" not the bike. I feel bad for Harley from a business prospective if they dont get the head out of there a$$ and wake up because the metric bikes are gaining allot of popularity and you get allot of bike for the $$.

Well. I had just started approaching a red light and did my normal "look behind" to make sure no cagers were not paying attention and ready to rear end me and it was clear. All of a sudden out of no where a Harley pulls up in my lane right next to me. Caught me off guard a little. He was looking my bike up and down. I lifted my bug shield. He Says " That is one Fu**** Bad A** Bike" I looked at him and said thanks. He then says "That is the only bike I would own other than a Harley" I told him it was the only bike for me. And we rode off, was just kind of cool. Most of the guys on Harleys around here give me crap, and it was just kind of nice to see a guy the was not a jerk on  Harley. I was at a mexican restaurant/bar a few days ago and this guy at the bar was sitting there and a guy comes in that just rode up on a 03 cbr 600 rr. I was near the window and he pulled up next to me and my buddys bikes. When he walked in I said to him, nice bike. He complimented ours. The Harley guy, of course had to give his 2cents. The guy sat at the bar near the Harley guy. I over heard them talking about bikes and then heard him talking about my Busa. He said something about his Harley being more reliable transportation and that he could beat any crotch rocket. I did not say anything but my buddy starts laughing as loud as he could. The guy looks over at us. He says. I could beat you on a scooter let along my 600 and my buddy has a Busa so what the hell are you talking about. He then says the horse power difference of his Harley vs. a sports bike is incredible. I told him, yeah incredibly weak.... He said All bikes are about the same until you get up at top speed. I laughed and decided this was to funny but that I was not going to argue with the idiot. He then started giving some advice to the guy on the CBR and mentioned something about liking to drive at high speeds. He said yeah I have had my bike to 100 a few times. Then the guy with the CBR starts laughing and so does my friend. My friend goes Yeah I like to go 100 too. He delayed for a minute and then says in 2nd.... The guy with the cbr says that dudes bike will do it in 1st.... The Harley guy looks at me and asks what size engine is in that thing. I told him a 1300 and no it will not go 100 in 1st. but close. And I finally had to say something about his comment about bikes being the ame at lower speeds too. I said just for your information. By the time you hit 60 mph I guarantee I would be hitting atleast 170 mph. He then asked what kind of Hp I have. I told him around 160. He then says is that like a in line 6 or something. I was about done with the conversation by then.... what an idiot......
Someone posted up a link to a forum a few days ago and there was a conversation about "all bikes are about the same until you get up at top speed" and someone else commented on their "R1 doing 100 in 1st gear".
rock.gif

I have both. A Harley and a Busa. I like both but the Busa is more fun.

Sounds like this person that you were talking to is riding his first bike. I bought my first Harley back in 1996 and even though I loved it, I was disappointed with the power. Now I had owned a Suzuki GS1100E, and a Kaw 900 prior so there was a dramatic drop in HP. But compared to a car, the Harley was super quick. That is what most Harley owners are comparing their bikes with. Keep in mind that the average Harley owner is in their late 30s and has a median income of $75,000.00 per year. A lot of these guys are newly divorced and on the prowl and think (correctly) that the Harley will help them score chicks. I see a whole lot more Harleys or bikes that look like Harleys on the road than I do Sportbikes. And Fast is right about Harley and their marketing campaign. Look at that TV add they do where guys are taking their dates to the door to say goodnite! Then they show the Harley and the line of clothes leading to the front door! Hmmm? Buy a Harley and I get the chicks to get naked? Now that is marketing! Also, this guy was at a bar already when you came in. How much had he been drinking? New Harley owners think that they are supposed to turn their noses up at Jap bikes. They are not much different than little kids who need to grow up a little before they learn what the real world is like. There was a guy in the group that I rode my 96 FatBoy with that didn't want us to invite people who rode anything but a Harley to go on rides with us. This guy even got a little upset with me for wearing a helmet. Just trying to point out that there are people like that everywhere.

Oh and he said his tire on his FatBoy "breaks" loose. You sure he didn't mean "brakes" loose? Mine would lock up real easy when I hit the "brakes" on it!
He was ther first and seemed to have a few drinks in him. I guess drinking and riding a Harley seem to go hand and hand. I was not drinking. Will not drink and ride, but enjoying some good mexican food. I see your pint though. A harley will tear about any stock car up on the road and going from a car to a bike of any type would make you feel like you are the fastest thing on the road.

Guys, I've ridden Harleys for right at 25 years. I sold my dresser and bought an FZ1 three years ago and it gave me the urge for something better. I want you to know,I've had more fun in the 9 months I've owned the Busa than I ever did on the Harleys. And I had a ball on them. The Busa just seems to fit my outlook better. It seems the older I get, the more I want to play. Me and the Dragon are getting reaquainted again. Only it's more fun now.

Dan

Guys, I've ridden Harleys for right at 25 years.  I sold my dresser and bought an FZ1 three years ago and it gave me the urge for something better.  I want you to know,I've had more fun in the 9 months I've owned the Busa than I ever did on the Harleys. And I had a ball on them. The Busa just seems to fit my outlook better.  It seems the older I get, the more I want to play.  Me and the Dragon are getting reaquainted again.  Only it's more fun now.

Dan
+1

The worlds only superpower and we have a throwback of a bike like a Harley Davidson:(

Well. I had just started approaching a red light and did my normal "look behind" to make sure no cagers were not paying attention and ready to rear end me and it was clear. All of a sudden out of no where a Harley pulls up in my lane right next to me. Caught me off guard a little. He was looking my bike up and down. I lifted my bug shield. He Says " That is one Fu**** Bad A** Bike" I looked at him and said thanks. He then says "That is the only bike I would own other than a Harley" I told him it was the only bike for me. And we rode off, was just kind of cool. Most of the guys on Harleys around here give me crap, and it was just kind of nice to see a guy the was not a jerk on  Harley. I was at a mexican restaurant/bar a few days ago and this guy at the bar was sitting there and a guy comes in that just rode up on a 03 cbr 600 rr. I was near the window and he pulled up next to me and my buddys bikes. When he walked in I said to him, nice bike. He complimented ours. The Harley guy, of course had to give his 2cents. The guy sat at the bar near the Harley guy. I over heard them talking about bikes and then heard him talking about my Busa. He said something about his Harley being more reliable transportation and that he could beat any crotch rocket. I did not say anything but my buddy starts laughing as loud as he could. The guy looks over at us. He says. I could beat you on a scooter let along my 600 and my buddy has a Busa so what the hell are you talking about. He then says the horse power difference of his Harley vs. a sports bike is incredible. I told him, yeah incredibly weak.... He said All bikes are about the same until you get up at top speed. I laughed and decided this was to funny but that I was not going to argue with the idiot. He then started giving some advice to the guy on the CBR and mentioned something about liking to drive at high speeds. He said yeah I have had my bike to 100 a few times. Then the guy with the CBR starts laughing and so does my friend. My friend goes Yeah I like to go 100 too. He delayed for a minute and then says in 2nd.... The guy with the cbr says that dudes bike will do it in 1st.... The Harley guy looks at me and asks what size engine is in that thing. I told him a 1300 and no it will not go 100 in 1st. but close. And I finally had to say something about his comment about bikes being the ame at lower speeds too. I said just for your information. By the time you hit 60 mph I guarantee I would be hitting atleast 170 mph. He then asked what kind of Hp I have. I told him around 160. He then says is that like a in line 6 or something. I was about done with the conversation by then.... what an idiot......
Someone posted up a link to a forum a few days ago and there was a conversation about "all bikes are about the same until you get up at top speed" and someone else commented on their "R1 doing 100 in 1st gear".  
rock.gif
I posted that a couple of days ago

My dad rides one so i'm always cracking on him . Its all in fun though . Sure you get some "harley" riders that won't even wave , but most bikers are pretty cool.

post_12_71486_41harleymade_med.jpg

Back