Ruined my pants, thanks to a Rav4.. DONT PASS PEOPLE TURNING UNTIL THEY TURN!

rashad

Registered
Well, I learned a hard lesson today:

I went out to hit some twisties in hopes of beating the inevitable rain and in that I was successful..

I decided to hit a new road that ive been wanting to ride for awhile now. As I turned onto the road, there was a Rav4 in front of me and I was a reasonable distance behind, going the speed limit. I will admit, however, that my mind was on other things and I was not as focused as I should have been.

That being said, I watched as he put on his right turn signal, and slowed to turn. Now, If he had seen me behind him, he probably would have done things differently...

I prepared myself to go around his left, as he was already turning the vehicle right... BIG MISTAKE!

IMMEDIATELY the rav swung to the left and basically did a U-turn in the middle of the road to hit a hidden driveway that was basically a switchback!!

I squeezed both brakes and locked up the front, doing a sliding stoppee that probably looked great if I had cared at the time... all while swearing in my helmet and target fixating on the side of the white rav (never will forget it).

Now, I was in the wrong for going to pass.. but listen. I saw the SIDE OF the rav... he had done almost a full u turn in front of me.

Just as I prepared for impact, the Rav slipped out of my path and up the driveway.

As the chirp of my front wheel subsided, I flipped up my visor and turned to look at the shocked driver with his door open in the driveway.

"WHAT WAS THAT?!"

"...what?"

"I ALMOST BLANKING HIT YOU!"

"..uh I used my turn signal..?"

"......."

I turned and drove away, thankful enough that I was still in one peice.

After that, the road didnt seem fun anymore, and I headed home. I did learn a lesson... do NOT assume drivers in front of you wont do a U-turn or perhaps jump a triple or do a backflip... You can never tell.

If I had acted like I was invisible( i was) then I would have waited a bit before passing a half turned car...

Well, gotta go scrub my jeans. Why did it have to be the American Eagle ones... no wonder you guys reccomend leather.:beerchug:

I'm glad it worked out well for you, considering what could have happened. Hopefully your story will save another rider a painful, expensive lesson.

I went out to hit some twisties in hopes of beating the inevitable rain and in that I was successful..

I decided to hit a new road that ive been wanting to ride for awhile now. As I turned onto the road, there was a Rav4 in front of me and I was a reasonable distance behind, going the speed limit. I will admit, however, that my mind was on other things and I was not as focused as I should have been.

That being said, I watched as he put on his right turn signal, and slowed to turn. Now, If he had seen me behind him, he probably would have done things differently...

I prepared myself to go around his left, as he was already turning the vehicle right... BIG MISTAKE!

IMMEDIATELY the rav swung to the left and basically did a U-turn in the middle of the road to hit a hidden driveway that was basically a switchback!!

I squeezed both brakes and locked up the front, doing a sliding stoppee that probably looked great if I had cared at the time... all while swearing in my helmet and target fixating on the side of the white rav (never will forget it).

Now, I was in the wrong for going to pass.. but listen. I saw the SIDE OF the rav... he had done almost a full u turn in front of me.

Just as I prepared for impact, the Rav slipped out of my path and up the driveway.

As the chirp of my front wheel subsided, I flipped up my visor and turned to look at the shocked driver with his door open in the driveway.

"WHAT WAS THAT?!"

"...what?"

"......."

After that, the road didnt seem fun anymore, and I headed home. I did learn a lesson... do NOT assume drivers in front of you wont do a U-turn or perhaps jump a triple or do a backflip... You can never tell.

If I had acted like I was invisible( i was) then I would have waited a bit before passing a half turned car...

Well, gotta go scrub my jeans. Why did it have to be the American Eagle ones... no wonder you guys reccomend leather.:beerchug:

thanks for the heads up, glad youre ok!!

Glad you're okay.. Cant stress it enough, wear your gear..and ride safe always. Ruined pants is nothing, its your life that counts,and we need you here at the Org, so wear your gear always.. Hugs to ya,and glad YOU are okay.. Ride safe

I know I guy that broke his pelvis and both legs the same way, still limps today. Glad you survived...kind of :laugh:.

Glad you made it without impact. One of my friends didn't turn out that well from the same situation.
Posted via Mobile Device

you playing the lottery tonight i hope??? you got lucky....glad your ok

"WHAT WAS THAT?!"

"...what?"

"......."

I never even thought about a situation like that. I can see how easily it could happen. Especially to me, because I want the cager out of my way.

Here is something else I thought of. Say you are coming down a two way highway at 170. Way in the distance, you see two cars. One can try to pass the other, because they can't possibly gauge your speed. Almost a guaranteed head on.

I guess with just the loss of a pair of jeans and maybe underwear you were lucky. The lesson is worth more then the jeans.

The only crash I had someone passed me in the left lane and made a right turn in front of me from the left lane. I hit his truck took off his mirror with my shoulder and caved in his door and my gas tank with my knee then hit a curb and flew over the handlebars. I Somehow rode my semi twisted bike home.

My lesson was I should not have turned my head to look at the girls in the car behind him.

I guess with just the loss of a pair of jeans and maybe underwear you were lucky. The lesson is worth more then the jeans.

The only crash I had someone passed me in the left lane and made a right turn in front of me from the left lane. I hit his truck took off his mirror with my shoulder and caved in his door and my gas tank with my knee then hit a curb and flew over the handlebars. I Somehow rode my semi twisted bike home.

My lesson was I should not have turned my head to look at the girls in the car behind him.

wow.. glad you are ok!

Yeah I have that problem.. I love women.. it sucks... Its like a magnet!

Oh and my pants are ok lol.:moon:

:poke: STOP ! ! ! go buy a lottory ticket right now, today is your luckiest day, why not exploit it to the fullest....
glad your ok

Wow, you are very lucky, I lost a friend of mine that same way, went to pass and the car turned in front of him, old lady signaled right and turned left, he hit the car, his helmet came off as he went over the car, and his head hit the curb,he was 18 years old, engaged, and lost his life, what a waste, glad you survived...could have been a lot worse...thank the good lord above...

A little advice from a trucker, allways expect peolpe to do the worst possilble thing they can do. that way you never get supprized! 525mls a day with two trips though crashville (nashville T.N.) Its the only thing i've found that works. glade your ok

Back