Rudeness On-line

FLCN72

Registered
Have any of you noticed the tendency of some people on the Internet to write as though they neither know nor care if there are real people or other feelings out there? It is as though being nasty to others on-line is part of the Internet experience for them. This goes beyond the misunderstandings that result from a lack of voice tone and body language in the written word. What I mean is the deliberate disregard for politeness that is far more common on-line than it is in face to face conversations.

It has been my experience that on this board people are polite to one another or at least write as though they have some awareness that there is another living, breathing human being on the receiving end of their comments. There is a feeling of community here that can be hard to find elsewhere. Members of this board ride together, get together, and actually foster friendships both on-line and off. All of which are reasons I read and occasionally write here.

But elsewhere on the Internet rudeness can be the norm. I’ve had this complaint for years. Some people don’t care about other’s on-line. Off-line they are probably reasonable and have friends. But on-line they can put on some kind of persona that gives them the freedom to write whatever they want. They can puff up their personalities and forego any attempt to relate to people – all to entertain themselves. After all it’s not real… It’s only the Internet…

Maybe they are repressed in other aspects of their lives. Maybe the Internet becomes an aggression release for them that is physically safe. After all, the common perception is that people don’t beat you up for things written on-line. Maybe all the pent up anger and frustration of their lives comes burbling out on-line, like a chain of misdirection. Maybe they are just mean-spirited people.

Ooo… That ended up longer than I had intended. OK. Climbing down from the soapbox now.

I agree. Honestly as much as I like the people, or more appropriately the boards, I don't have much faith in them. If I develop a real relationship with someone from the boards that is great, but otherwise my life is already rich with people and I can leave the site that offends me. I agree with what you say. I am going out on a limb here, but I would honestly rather be out enjoying my friends and my bike than here on the board. I am not knocking anyone here, just adding my 2 cents and agreeing with you.

I don't think I got to far off the topic.

I want be lenghty here...You guys are right...Just on occassion we get someone that visit's here that is out of order...When we do have a challenge or misunderstanding usually the parties agree and dissolve their issue...This is a great place to build friendships...
muscle.gif

The thing about this site is we all have a common bond. I am sure none of us needs it (Justa based on the personalities). In most cases it has enhanced and broadened our scope of Busas and riding. Many of us have met all over the country. The neatest point about this board when compared to others is, I have never met anyone on this board as a regular that I have not liked. All your points are good and well taken.
biggrin.gif

Not:
I am on other boards also and have met people 3 &4 years ago who have become good friends. I have also met people on other boards that I would not walk across the stree to talk to.

Have any of you noticed the tendency of some people on the Internet to write as though they neither know nor care if there are real people or other feelings out there?  It is as though being nasty to others on-line is part of the Internet experience for them.  This goes beyond the misunderstandings that result from a lack of voice tone and body language in the written word.  What I mean is the deliberate disregard for politeness that is far more common on-line than it is in face to face conversations.

It has been my experience that on this board people are polite to one another or at least write as though they have some awareness that there is another living, breathing human being on the receiving end of their comments.  There is a feeling of community here that can be hard to find elsewhere.  Members of this board ride together, get together, and actually foster friendships both on-line and off.  All of which are reasons I read and occasionally write here.

But elsewhere on the Internet rudeness can be the norm.  I’ve had this complaint for years.  Some people don’t care about other’s on-line.  Off-line they are probably reasonable and have friends.  But on-line they can put on some kind of persona that gives them the freedom to write whatever they want.  They can puff up their personalities and forego any attempt to relate to people – all to entertain themselves.  After all it’s not real… It’s only the Internet…

Maybe they are repressed in other aspects of their lives.  Maybe the Internet becomes an aggression release for them that is physically safe.  After all, the common perception is that people don’t beat you up for things written on-line.  Maybe all the pent up anger and frustration of their lives comes burbling out on-line, like a chain of misdirection.  Maybe they are just mean-spirited people.

Ooo…  That ended up longer than I had intended.  OK.  Climbing down from the soapbox now.
Man you have said a mouthful. When I find myself wrtiting flaming e-mails in a battle of words at work, I just walk down the hall, and the matter is usually settled in less than 2 minutes.

The problem is that the monitor is an inanimate object, and people are a lot more comfortable being nasty to a computer screen. Just like drunks, a lot of people get what I call "electronic courage", hiding behind thier keyboards, knowing that the chances of meeting people on the other end are small.

Once they get me worked up, I am like Higgy. I tell them exactly where I live and/or offer to come where they live and explain myself in terms they WILL understand. Usually, they dissapear after that.

Thinker

Thanks Ninja. I guess because I am new to boards I haven't given the good people a chance yet. It all takes time. I am working on it. I can't wait to meet some people this summer. Mostly I want to see your bike. That would be a highlight. It will also be my undoing. I will want one and the wife will kill me.

Thanks Ninja. I guess because I am new to boards I haven't given the good people a chance yet. It all takes time. I am working on it. I can't wait to meet some people this summer. Mostly I want to see your bike. That would be a highlight. It will also be my undoing. I will want one and the wife will kill me.
Well as soon as we get Spriing you are on. Spring ride MA, CT, NH VT NY ME Yes?

That is so true....it seems that many do develop a sort of "electronic courage" as Thinker put it. Sometimes it's funny to me, other times I let it "get my goat", as they say, simply because I dislike ignorance on any subject......as Ice Cube so aptly put it...."keep my mouth shut if I don't know".

I have an SE, but I want a color that stands out so I can remember where I post. I don't like to use more than 5% of my brain.

NE, I will definately do a tour of N.E. When do you start riding. I have been talking to BusaChic about an Ontario run. We could stay at my sisters in Buffalo.

That is so true....it seems that many do develop a sort of "electronic courage" as Thinker put it.  Sometimes it's funny to me, other times I let it "get my goat", as they say, simply because I dislike ignorance on any subject......as Ice Cube so aptly put it...."keep my mouth shut if I don't know".
It only gets your goat because you can't reach thru the screen and rip out their vocal chords.

Man when I invited the other boards to meet up with us at Laguna and the first response started with "Hey dumb ass", I saw red. You just know that the story would be different if a guy was sitting across the table from you.

Back