Rubbah STRONGLY dislikes eric clapton

sounds like it's time fer a group shaving.  
laugh.gif
How did I know when I read this thread, you were going to chime in with exactly that!

And now I'm chasing you around the board, remarking on your barren genetalia comments.
come on Island Boy.....    time for some new "SHtick"  ...

the shavin' ballls thing.... I'm not sure, but ,might be time to let go....

...RSD.
Yeah, what he said.

Maybe time to shave somethign else?

or

Time to do somethig else with those nads?

Although it is your calling card...

Heheh....you guys are too kind. Asking me ta give that up is like me askin you guys ta stop riding yer bus.....darn near impossible, eh?
wink.gif

As for my ava....yeah well, I think this one describes the way I feel or look or both most of the time. Sometimes the brain can get overloaded....which seems to be all too often with me.

And Rubbah...c'mon bro! You know yer boy is gonna kick a$$...whether or not he's shavin'. Be liberated, fellow riders!!!! Be liberated!!!
laugh.gif

Oh, come on RSD...you actually hate Clapton that much for trying to take on something as dynamic as playing the blues because he wasn't living them?

I love Clapton...yep, against all that RSD says, I am an avid fan of everything he's done...a guy like Clapton can carry off playing the blues...IMHO, he's done it already...but, imagine him reaching some sects of society that don't know a think about Robert Johnson or the blues...they hear Clapton and they suddenly want to know more...they head to the local music store or shop online for some Blues material and enrich their minds...another person culturally enlightened...

At the risk of having RSD smack the crap out of me (bring it on!  I can take it!
smile.gif
), saying Clapton can't pull off playing some blues music because he didn't live the life of Robert Johnson is like saying none of us middle class white folks can't enjoy the blues because we didn't live it either...

I disagree...I bet Johnson would be proud to see his music being carried on by a talent such as Clapton...he'd play along with him if he could...it's not like the Backstreet Boys are doing it!  Jeez...
cool.gif

Oh, and I agree with Oracle...Stevie Ray did it, and did it well, too...

<!--EDIT|VaBusa
Reason for Edit: "spelling chale...challen...challenged..."|1079964093 -->

Oh great, some Irish Rubbah dood, lecturing on who can play the blues.  Stick to yer Guinness drinkin and folk dancin, you Irish fewl!
laugh.gif
you know i rubbahluv u.

Have anuthah rubbah  
40__s.gif

beerchug.gif

p.s. Clapton is good.  No doot aboot it.

<!--EDIT|Iced
Reason for Edit: None given...|1079967149 -->

Bagpipes.... Dude, you get the right pipes a playing just before a ride?  That's good stuff, get's me right along the spine every time...  Hairs standing on end...  Makes me want to go find that damn kilt and then go riding...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1079970145 -->

I love Clapton...
all I can do is offer you my condolences , for yer misplaced love M kiddin'

actually , Rip,Michelle,guys....all good points(well some of that drivle anyway,hehehehe).

Its not so much Clapton and his chosen style(or lack there of) its more the way in which he has chosen to go about this latest album . Using a dead persons name for the promotion of anything , is akin to stealing if you ask me . Michelle seems to feel that Robert would be proud to have Clapton playing his music . We'll have to agree to disagree on that one EM . Roberts dead, so his feelings cant be heard . Its my opinion that Mr.Johnson probably would feel the way alot of those ol' bluesmen felt , that Clapton is "Just another white boy trying to rip off our music". Now this kind of statement is what led the Oricle to call me racist . It's not so much that I'm racist( which I am , self admitedly so, in certain situations ) its just fact . You have to consider the era in which these ol' bluesmen were born an' raised in . They were forced to sit at the back of the bus,to use different drinking fountains etc etc etc....the list is long . This is where I find it difficult for a guy growing up in England a few decades later ,to be able to fully understand the plight of a blackman growing up in the southern states 20 or 30 years prior .
Sticking Mr.Johnson's name on a record without his permission....some might call that a priviledge , some may say he has been honoured....I think thats crap . I know you were half joking EM when you said "Its not like the Backstreet Boys are playin' Roberts music". But would that really make it any different? Some people like the B....boys , some people dont.My point is , I'd prefer not to have anyone ATTEMPT to liken themselves to any of the late great ones.
As far as other bands go , and even the so-called modern day bluesmen(Clapton,Sleezy Ray Von) I have zero problem with them playing what now falls under the giant umbrella of what is now refered to as the blues , or R & B,or country-blues,jazz-blues,etc. Some sort of theft has to take place in order for things to progress in a natural order. Give a listen to Led Zepplin , The Beatles , The Rolling Stones , or even Judas Priest . Whats their music based on ? What genre? I'd have to say The Blues . If music wasn't stolen/borrowed from other bands,countries,and races...we wouldn't have much to choose from .

My point , let Clapton come up with his own words.

I guess you had to hear the interview to fully understand where I'm coming from .

If someone has found the old vinyl recordings of some long dead great bluesman , some old rock n roller , or a guy who could really wale on the pipes.....bring it on . Get the radio stations to run out an' buy a turntable (remember those), and crank up that that old 10 inch . I wanna hear it . I wanna hear it in all its glory . Scratch,scratch,hiss,hiss....

Robert Johnson could be rollin' over in is grave right now...

I say....just let the man be.

You wanna honour someone Clapton ? Fine . Maybe next time you could try it without stealin' from a dead man .

hav a good 1......RSD.

Oh...RSD, I just think you're letting this get to you too much...

I, for one, never thought of anything you said as being racist...let me just get that out of the way...I for one think you only require a pulse...oh, never mind, that's waaaaayyyy off subject...

I think you are very fond of RJ's original music, and I can see why you'd be sort of offended by EC's offerings as of late, but I still disagree that someone like RJ would be turning over in his grave over this...

I guess I look at an accomplished singer/guitarist/song writer like Clapton as only having good intentions by covering a blues artist's songs...it's not like he needs the money...it's not like he's out to prove to the world that he's a good performer...he's fond of the blues, he's said that over and over in interviews and in his own songs, you can feel the influence in his music...so, I like to think that when someone like EC takes on a project like this, he's 1) gotten permission to use RJ's name from family, he's got permission to use the songs...and 2) more importantly, he's doing it as homage to someone that he admires...he's offering up something that we don't hear every day, and hopefully opening the eyes and ears of those that might not be exposed to the blues otherwise...

Good grief! If you were an Elvis fan, what would you do?! His name is still used to sell everything...

Oh, and if some boy band came along and tried to do the same, it wouldn't matter because they would suck wind on the project!
tounge.gif

** disclaimer ** I still luv ya RSD!!! And I'm not giving back my hat!!!
laugh.gif

Oh, if this had been a fight, it'd look more like this...

I'm the one with the gun, by the way...just so you don't go getting any ideas!  
tounge.gif

rubbuh, speaking of plagiarism, how do you feel about black rappers sampling white rock band music and using it in thier rap songs?

I dont think anyone can really own a "genre" of music, certainly not specific to any ethnic group? that would be like saying, since an Italian invented the guitar the blacks stole any music with guitar in it from the italians?

music is an individual right, it cant be owned by anyone person... if my memory serves me right, white boys were the first rap band signed by def-jam records in 1981, they blew the hip hop scene wide open on MTV as well and paved the way for many black rap artists today?

<span style='color:blue'></span>RSD you got issues man. Oh on I better watch out now he is going to hate me too...lol. You guys all crack me up.

I 'm with on Clapton, but must strongly oppose you on SRV.....music lost a great one when Stevie Ray passed.......

That's all I have to say.....

TBone

and I say group drink!!!! Have one on me, Rubbah! A nice cold, dark tall one!
beerchug.gif

Oh...one other thing....how about us island boys rappin? You guys haven't even heard music yet!!!! Heheh.....

Death to all boy bands!!!

Gotta say it folks..............I'm with Rub on this one. I understand where he is comin' from from a musicians standpoint. If what you sing about isn't in your soul, its just notes. Clapton may be a great gutiarist but he sucks singing the blues. That be like me and RSD singin or playing country!!!! We'd be the best country singers and players ya ever heard, I guarantee ya that.....but it'd be a fake!!

c,mon sled, thats jive and ya know it, what about prince? jimi hendrix is a prime example? blacks dont have to limit themselves to blues, and whites dont have to limit themselves to rock, its freedom of choice, clapton likes the blues so he writes in a blues style? so what? he didnt steal anything, he has added to the blues foundation, just like jimi added to the rock foundation. and what about the "cult of personality" living colour?

this is about the silliest thing I have ever heard, music has no gender, race, color or creed? what will they think of next?

rubbuh, quit!
tounge.gif

Back