RPM when shifting into 2nd?

brad

Registered
When trying to accelerate as fast as possible how high do you tach first gear before shifting into second. Bikes making less than 200 or 210 horse power. Once in second being able to go to full throttle.
Thanks.

I bump the limiter Or VERY close, as it is limited very safe on busas... if you bypass that you can safely get several more hundred revs before you "float it", least thats what I heard.

not sure about a gen 2 but on a stock gen 1, with gearing,hp and torque curves taken into account, the optimum shift for maximum acceleration would be at around 10,300rpms.I set the shift light at 10200 and give myself only 100rpms to react. Of course I'm far from a professional racer but given the formula...there you go...10,300

Once it bounces off the limiter a few times I generally get the idea that it's time to shift. Otherwise, if I'm just poking around I shift when it feels right for my current or desired speed. I almost never look at the gauges, and certainly don't look at em' when I'm busy riding hard and aggressively in the twisties or real fast somewhere else...

SO yeah, the bike goes DA DA DA DA DA I know it's time to shift. :thumbsup:

i only hit the rev limiter when i get that phantom neutral between 5 and 6

Every bike will be slightly different depending power mods you have done. Exhuast, air filters,and so on. the best way to know is to simply dyno the bike and see where it stops making power. Preturbo my bike was making power up to 10,800rpms.

Every bike will be slightly different depending power mods you have done. Exhuast, air filters,and so on. the best way to know is to simply dyno the bike and see where it stops making power. Preturbo my bike was making power up to 10,800rpms.

its not about shifting where it stops making power, the idea is to shift while its STILL making power, but at a point where you fall into the right spot in second gear where power has started to build. Like I was saying, theres a calculater for figuring out where to shift in each gear based on gear ratio, power and torque curve and the optimum rpm will be slightly different in each gear but if you average them all together to just pick a safe rpm to remember for a stock 1st gen with no mods the magic number is 10300:thumbsup:

what do you mean by
Once in second being able to go to full throttle
If you are not at full throttle in first gear, does not matter where you shift at.. you are already behind.. Dont care who or what you are... that first 300' is EVERYTHING...

How do you full throttle first gear without looping it. That's what happens when I go to wide open throttle in first.

How do you full throttle first gear without looping it. That's what happens when I go to wide open throttle in first.

It is an acquired skill, one I have yet to acquire. Seen my boys do it though. Their bikes are slammed and stretched.

Back